PDA

View Full Version : weird network glitch on win98se

falvrez
23-12-2003, 04:52 PM
Have a dunger P3-800 here that we decided to use on the network as a "use for anything" machine.
It has onboard LAN.
I decided to format teh HD to get rid of all the crap that had been loaded on it, which went without any dramas.
Went to install teh drivers for teh onboad lan (sis) which also went fine.
But! When I go to control panel - network, the network card is not visible. And when I go to "add", "network adaptor" as an option is not there.
Anyone seen this B4? Have trudged around google and M$ but no joy...
When I return fo holidays my next plan will be to install a seperate lan card, which I feel will cure it, but this machine was working on the network before no worries!

Graham L
23-12-2003, 05:15 PM
My (second-hand) laptop has an onboard SIS network adapter (I think the chipset is SiS 730). I've never managed to make it work (in Windows or Linux). ;-( There's a driver for another (odd brand -- Davidson?) adapter on the HD. Installing that doesn't work either. My PC Card 3Com cards work. L:D

tweak\'e
23-12-2003, 05:29 PM
is it enabled in bios? has the motherboard drivers been installed?

falvrez
23-12-2003, 06:57 PM
yup enabled in the bios - as i say, it's in device manager and if I remove it from there, it picks it up again no worries on refresh.
The other funny thing is, if i add say TCP/IP in networking in the control panel, it automatcially asks for an adaptor. if i point it to the directory where the drivers are located, I'm told that there are no drivers for my device there...even though these are the same drivers I've used to install it in the device manager! weird, man