PDA

View Full Version : Jetstream on home network - wireless perhaps?

Alasta
23-12-2003, 01:46 PM
Hi, folks. Let me start off by wishing you all a merry Christmas.

My project in the new year is to set up a Jetstream connection at my flat, to serve three computers. My computer is a one year old Apple iBook running MacOS X, but the other two computers might possibly be running different operating systems.

I know that for $329, I can get an Xtra Jetstream all-in-one pack which supplies the router and everything else I need to get started, and it looks as if this would be easy enough to me to set up myself. However, due to the safety issues associated with having network cables running around the house, I'm very tempted to look at the wireless option.

My Macintosh already has an Airport card installed (I think it's 802.11b) and I can probably install wireless adaptors in the other two machines, so would I be correct in assuming that all I would need is a wireless access point (such as this one: http://www.dse.co.nz/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/3fe79b0d00a180d2273fc0a87f990737/Product/View/XH7988)? Would that connect directly to the router and hence make a hub unnecessary?

Would the wireless option be just as easy to set up as the cable option, or would I need some technical knowledge to get it working? I'm also wondering if it would be easy to set the network up so that my own computer connects wirelessly, but the other two computers connect via cable?

Any advice would be appreciated.