PDA

View Full Version : Do you use Foobar forMp3's ?

Digby
23-12-2003, 09:17 AM
I have just downloaded Foobar 2000 as an Mp3 player.

I looks quite good, simple, but good sound quality.

I would be interested in any comments by other users on Foobar.

It seems to be very much in its infancy (version 0.76)

Digby

Jester
23-12-2003, 09:42 AM
<waits> for Susan B </waits>

J
:D

-=JM=-
23-12-2003, 10:59 AM
I use it religiously for nearly all of my music listening. I think I probably put Susan onto it as well :) Once you get Susan using something there always seems to be a whole heap more people that try it out. ;)

Remember to check out some of the various playlist strings and to play around with colours (if you're into that).

Digby
23-12-2003, 11:20 AM
What does Susan <waits> for mean ?

Yes, Susan was the one that suggested I try it.

What can you accomlish with the playlist strings ? (I am into them !)

My initial thoughts are that songs sound much sharper and clearer on Foobar than Winamp 2x. What do others think ?

I cannot find any equalisers or tone settings like on Winamp for Foobar. Are there any ?

Which of the 3 versions of Foobar is best ?

Digby

kiwibeat
23-12-2003, 11:56 AM
It seems like a good 2nd choice to winamp clear playback and uses very few resources ram etc has no volume controls etc ?

agent
23-12-2003, 12:59 PM
I'd say the full version is better (ID3v2 tag support), but I tried the Special version, only because I have a few misc WMA files spread around.

That said, I couldn't get my head around those long configuration strings, let alone figure out if Foobar could be 'shaded' like Winamp.

Jen C
23-12-2003, 05:16 PM
I am another fan of Foobar2000 (yet another converted by JM :p), and it is great. I like the simplistic GUI and the small footprint of the program.

>I cannot find any equalisers or tone settings like on Winamp for Foobar. Are there any?

Have a look under Foobar2000 > Preferences > Playback > DSP Manager (equalizer).

Digby
23-12-2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks for that Jen.

I'll check that out.

I am finding that there is a lot hidden away in Foobar.

I am stunned by the clarity of its music output. I only have an onboard sound card but it is much clearer than Winamp 2x.

I have just downloaded the full version, the Foobar Special. It installed on top of the other version perfectly.

It looks like they (he) has a few other devlopers working on it with him on different add ons. It seems that most of them work properly first time, which is more than can be said for Winamp.

It just needs a quick easy to read help file which shows how to tweak all of the bits hiddden under its bonnet. (and what half of them mean!)

Digby

-=JM=-
24-12-2003, 01:14 AM
The three versions of foobar are all the same. It's just that Full has more components than Lite and Special has some third party components as well. I usually grab Full out of habit, could probably get away with lite in reality and grab the foo_freedb off the site.

ID3V2 is the devil.

Digby
24-12-2003, 06:29 AM
Lets keep this thread ticking along so that others may see it and try Foobar !

What do you mean by ID3V2 being the devil ?

I love the way that with Foobar I can have several playlists loaded and see the names of the playlists whilst the songs are playing ! That is what I wanted to do with Winamp all along, but they never did it.

Digby

-=JM=-
24-12-2003, 09:31 AM
I just don't like it as a tagging format. It's very slow to use. APE2 is much faster and can store just as much. APE2 with ID3V1 is good for compatibility.

Digby
25-12-2003, 11:01 AM
I have to ask.

What is AEP2 and what programs support it.

Surley it is bad enough having the two !D formats we have now.

What is wrong with ID3 and what is better about AEP2 ?

PS

Does anyone else on F1 use Foobar ?

If not perhaps you may wish to try it ?

Digby

Susan B
25-12-2003, 08:43 PM
> <waits> for Susan B </waits>

:p :D

Yes, I am a Foobar2000 fan after being put onto it by JM. Since I don't really use all the bells and whistles that Winamp has got I like Foobar's simplicity and I can dress it up a little if I want to.

A good trick that JM taught me was redoing all the .mp3 tags with Masstagger which is absolutely brilliant. It took a bit of experimenting to get them how I wanted them but after that it was a breeze.

> has no volume controls etc ?

The Plus key on keypad for volume up and Minus key for volume down.

> I tried the Special version, only because I have a few misc WMA files spread around.

I didn't know that. Will have to get that one then because I have a few .wma files as well.

> Once you get Susan using something there always seems to be a whole heap more people that try it out.

Meh! :p

Digby
26-12-2003, 09:39 PM
Hi Susan,

Thanks for recommending Foobar to me.

I really like the way you can have 3 or 4 (or more ?) playlists loaded and then see which one is playing and then easily swap between them !

And it reads my Winamp playlists no worries.

Happy New Year.

Digby