PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop problem - assertion failed?

superOman
23-12-2003, 08:49 AM
Hi
Photoshop has not worked properly for a few weeks. Whenever I try to save an image for the web (using the save for web command) I come up with an error message

"could not complete this operation beacuse an assertion has failed"

apart from not knowing what the message actually means, I canot fix it. I have looked up on the web for people with similar problems, and have tried all of their suggestions, which have not worked.

I have checked ram levels, reinstalled it twice, run defrag, anti virus, adaware and spybot, plus reset photoshop to default settings.

This makes me think the problem is outside photshop.

Any ideas? Im running Windows ME by the way on a P3 800mhz, with 512mb ram

Thanks for your help

Babe Ruth
23-12-2003, 09:44 AM
superOman,

I presume you have already tried the Registry modification for the Save for Web 'fix' for Photoshop?

Using "Regedit" find the following key and delete it

"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Save For Web 3.0"

*** note save for web has a 2.0 and 3.0 in the key. Just delete the 3.0 key.

Babe.

superOman
23-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Thanks Babe Ruth,

It worked. I hadn't tried it as no-one has really shown me how to edit the registry. I gave it a shot and it worked.

Thanks, its all fixed now

Babe Ruth
23-12-2003, 10:51 AM
Thats really great... No problem superOman

Cheers, Babe.

Graham L
23-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Nice to see another satisfied customer. ;-)

That error message means that a test programmed into the code has failed. An assertion has the effect of something like "If 1 + 1 isn't equal to 2 then something is wrong". :D

In this case, it probably says: "save enabled for web 2.0 only" Since your system enabled it for 3.0, the test fails. BOOM.

Assertion tests make for more reliable software. Unfortunately, it sometimes stops it working. ;-) That is sometimes preferable (would you prefer to get wrong output with no warning, or have the programme fail because it is about to produce faulty output?) but sometimes it can be a nuisance.

kraszlan
15-02-2005, 05:25 AM
Thx Graham L you have helped a lot. :D

justyouanmee
30-09-2005, 05:31 AM
hey, i need help. i've read the answer to this problem on many different sites, but i am not sure how to do this. i don't know where to get into the registry. will someone please help me, i'm lost. i'm getting this assertion failed message, but am not understanding how to fix this........

thank you!

Speedy Gonzales
30-09-2005, 07:55 AM
You go to start / run and type regedit then go to the entry

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Adobe\Save For Web 3.0

And delete it, exit regedit, then reboot.

justyouanmee
30-09-2005, 10:32 AM
Thank you for telling me how to do this, and I did, but it did not work. I am still getting the same message, and are not able to save anything. Not sure where to go from here, or why it seems to be working for everyone but me...... :badpc:

Thanks anyway

justyouanmee
30-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Can someone please help me?

I am trying to use my ImageReady, and everytime I try to save my amination/GIF, or anything really, I get this message......

COULD NOT COMPLETE THIS OPERATION BECAUSE AN ASSERTION HAS FAILED

Not sure what is going on, my Photoshop works just fine, it's just my ImageReady that's doing this, and when I try to save or try to open a file from inside ImageReady, among other File commands I have tried to use, I get this message. Any Ideas? :badpc:

Graham L
30-09-2005, 05:04 PM
Perhaps it's a different assertion which has failed. ;)

Did you search Google with "Photoshop" in your search string, or "ImageReady"? Using "imageready assertion failed" gives a lot of links (showing Koreans, Russians, Germans, Danish, Japanese ... users had had the same trouble).

If you can do saves from the main Photoshop system, you haven't got the original poster's problem. You have a (new and improved) different problem. :D

justyouanmee
02-10-2005, 04:04 AM
Yeah, unfortunately I have tried to Google and Yahoo the "ImageReady Assertion Failed", and I continue to find the same suggestions, and none are working. Not sure where to go from here..... :groan: I'll keep looking I guess.

Graham L
02-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Try searching in the Google "Groups" area. You might find an answer in one of the discussion groups (or even join one of the groups and ask there).

Chicken
31-10-2005, 05:32 AM
Check your layer names for invalid characters such as foreign letters, punctuation marks and spaces. :nerd: