PDA

View Full Version : 2 x Zonealarm questions.

beetle
22-12-2003, 11:38 PM
i have reinstalled Zonealarm (free version) after months of not having it and after formating etc,

and have come up with to alerts i have googled over and am still not sure why it is alerting me, as it seems this is a normal practice for the system to check things ...
Application layer
& Generic host pro....
now these i checked on google, and found nothing major to worry about, one i dont allow while one i do, other wise things dont work....
but im struggling to remember way back to what i had it set at before,
can anyone explain them in noob language what they are checking for? and what if they have zonealarm they have it set to or as?

i dont remember application layer one before, vaguely remember generic host ...... going off to do a pf1 check.... may have asked this before?

thanxs in advance if any help possible....

seems im on the mend as im finding fiddle things to ask about again, now puter is running well.....

:D

beetle

beetle
22-12-2003, 11:41 PM
only 1500 hits on generic host pro on pf1, sorry people....
still not sure what im doing here i guess...

beetle

beetle
23-12-2003, 12:06 AM
im still not getting this,

seems like my net surfing should be cut off when i decline access for one, while the other i have no idea about it at all...
need it a little more noobier for me i think.

another day after some zzzzzzzzz may help get this one...

brains on holiday i guess.

beetle

agent
23-12-2003, 12:14 AM
I only allow Generic Host Process... access to and from remote port 53, because it's used for DNS lookups. I also allow it to 127.0.0.1 (can't do any harm...), and every time I connect to the net it tries connecting five times to addresses above 235.0.0.0 (can't specifically remember the two it tries).

Application Layer Gateway has never popped up an alert for me (Kerio), but I suppose that's an inbuilt rule.

beetle
23-12-2003, 12:26 AM
that brings along another kettle of fish question,
not the best person to ask these sort of questions or ask for details at this hour of the morn i guess.

ports? and address's it connecting to? how can i find out what these address's are or who they are?
i have enough trouble understanding my IP addy let alone know who's else is out there to connect to,

i feel this is a question for a fresh day (cant say tomorow as it is now tomorow....lol)

when brain has slept and is brite and alert, and ready for action....
if it is ever ready.

beetle

dotcommander
24-12-2003, 02:06 PM
i allow it to access but block it for server, never had the problem with win98 so i guess its just an xp thing... Layer gateway could be an ftp thing, just leave the setting on ask and then you can click at your own discretion

agent
24-12-2003, 10:21 PM
Yes, I must correct myself. When browsing FTP servers, App Layer Gateway does some connections to random ports.