PDA

View Full Version : Photoshop 5 - transparency effects

agent
22-12-2003, 10:13 PM
I've seen an image that was worked on with Photoshop (not sure which version, though it was likely 5 or 6), where two scenes had been blended together, seemingly with the airbrush painting transparency on to one of the scenes (that's how it looks, anyway).

I'm now trying to do the same thing, but the airbrush has no such option to work with a transparent colour. The only thing I can think of that would do the same effect would be to do a Linear Gradient, painting from the foreground colour to transparent. Only problem here is that I would need to do this to a single row of pixels at a time, reselecting the foreground colour each time... a tedious process for an image that is 120 pixels high.

Is there some trick to this, such as using the airbrush and painting using the 'Difference' method, or the gradient in a similar fashion?

metla
23-12-2003, 12:00 AM
Your looking to apply a mask.

And your best bet is to google it,or another good place to find info is on the about.com network of sites.

Fire-and-Ice
23-12-2003, 12:17 PM
Paintshop Pro is pretty good at this sort of thing - a trial version was on a PC World disc recently. Have a look at this page (http://www.pspug.org/tut/tut7eff.shtml) for some mask layers tutorials - if you can get the page to open as it isn't loading for me at the moment.