PDA

View Full Version : Small Problem - Very Unproductive!

cold_fu5ion
22-12-2003, 08:47 PM
Hi Everyone,
Well it turns out that Hamstar is right, Microsoft has some sort of anti-productivity code in their software. I have about 200 .png files in one folder that have the names Data_1.png Data_2.png ect. These images are in order and they way that they appear in a folder is.....data_1, data_10, data_100, data_101. I need these files no appear in the right order as finding the 3 states of a button can end up being very difficult.
Does anyone know of a registry setting, program, or option that would let me do this.
Hope that I explained this alright.
Thanks

Scouse
22-12-2003, 08:58 PM
Hi CF I await with interest a quick and easy fix for that. I finally bit the bullet with mine and manually renamed the lot as 001, 002, 003 etc.

cold_fu5ion
22-12-2003, 09:14 PM
I feel your pain, but the files that I'm using are in a certain order and have their name for a reason (not my reason) so inorder for me to put one of the files back into an exe I need the names to be the same. extracting massive amounts of image files and renaming them all is not an option.

parry
22-12-2003, 09:15 PM
The files would have to be renamed to have the numerical order. You should be able to find a program to do it easy enough. Try searching Google with keywords such as "batch rename file".

wotz
22-12-2003, 09:32 PM
Irfanview (http://www.irfanview.com) has a batch rename function.

cold_fu5ion
22-12-2003, 09:40 PM
thanks for the reply, but I dont want to rename the files because I am importing them into an exe, they need to have their original name.

Mike
22-12-2003, 09:45 PM
import a list of files into something like Excel, sort them numerically, and create hyperlinks to the files from excel so that it then works much the same way explorer would to open files, but you can list them however you want.

Mike.

Jen C
22-12-2003, 09:46 PM
Are you using WinXP?

Have a look here and see whether this might help: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 319827 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=319827)

cold_fu5ion
22-12-2003, 10:09 PM
I just read the microsoft article, and it is exactly what I'm looking for. I wouldn't touch win XP (and its shiny buttons) with a 10 foot ps/2 usb adaptor. I'll googlw it now that I actuall know what I'm looking for.
Thanks!

Elephant
22-12-2003, 11:08 PM
>Hi Everyone,
>Well it turns out that Hamstar is right, Microsoft has some sort of anti->productivity code in their software.

First of all I don't think that Microsoft is to blame here. I was using computers before Microsoft happened. I used to write SORT programs in COBOL for a Burroughs 3500. Later I used Microsoft software like MSDos 3.3. Dates in particular come to mind and I had to use the convention yyyymmdd to get things sorted in the way I wanted. Today would be entered as 20031222. What you have here is a problem with sorting.

When it comes to sorting then Data_1.png may well be the first file but the ASCII code will say to sort on name from left to right. Data_1.png will be less than Data_2.png but Data_2.png will be greater than Data_100.png

Renaming will not be difficult but you say that is not an option. I think from reading you need to keep the files names as they are. If this is a program you may consider using a string function and load the pictures into an array

I have about 200 .png files in one >folder that have the names Data_1.png Data_2.png ect. These images >are in order and they way that they appear in a folder is.....data_1, >data_10, data_100, data_101. I need these files no appear in the right >order as finding the 3 states of a button can end up being very difficult.
>Does anyone know of a registry setting, program, or option that would >let me do this.
>Hope that I explained this alright.
>Thanks

Murray P
22-12-2003, 11:40 PM
Yep Irfanview is good. You could also try this little program SetNameToTime 2.0 which does a bit more than it's name suggests. You can find it here (http://storcksoftware.com/setnametotime/index.htm).

Cheers Murray P

cold_fu5ion
23-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the help everyone.
I just realised what I could do. Use a renaming program to name the files 001, ect. then just rename them back using 'Data_' as a prefix. I'd only need to use a simple .bat file!
Sometimes all it takes is to see things from another perspective.
Thanks again.

Elephant
23-12-2003, 05:53 PM
Yep. That will work. I hope you don't later get to 1000 images and if you think you might then start with 0001_Data.png.

:-)