PDA

View Full Version : spam and spam program

yingxuan
20-12-2003, 06:55 AM
Does spamcop really work?It detects who u should email to but i actually wonder if anything happens.
Does anyone know of a small program which doesn't integrate with any email program which lets u copy and paste the original spam and lets u type your email address at the From address and send an email bak to the spammer at the To address.
It's kinda like a bounce email program except that u have to manually type your email.anybody know of a program like this?
Netguide had one but i forgotten the name.CAn't find it.

Mike
20-12-2003, 08:55 AM
Why would you want to send an email to a spammer with your email address in the FROM box??? That'll just confirm to them that your email address is active.

Mike.

miknz
20-12-2003, 08:56 AM
In my opinion mailwasher is the best spam software around. it is a small prog, easy to use and easy to set up. It has been on the netguide cd recently but is available from download.com and is only 2 or 3 meg from memory.

cheers
mike :D

somebody
20-12-2003, 09:07 AM
What you will be sending back is a fake "bounce" message, pretending that your email address doesn't exist.

somebody
20-12-2003, 09:09 AM
http://www.netguide.co.nz/useful_stuff/software/showlist.php?section=shareware&main_cat=2&sub_cat=25

Mailwasher PRO I think is what you're looking for.

Mike
20-12-2003, 09:46 AM
> What you will be sending back is a fake "bounce"
> message, pretending that your email address doesn't
> exist.

Not if you're putting your address in the "From" field. If you look at a bounce message you'll see they don't come from who the original email was intended for, but from the ISP (usually).

Mike.

yingxuan
20-12-2003, 03:21 PM
mail washer doesnt support yahoo email.I need one that does.
U can only block 100 email addreses in yahoo then your left on your own.I haven't found any program that works with yahoo email but if i can get a program that lets u manually type your email address and the spammers email address then it might work.!

Mike
20-12-2003, 05:45 PM
> mail washer doesnt support yahoo email.I need one
> that does.

Try this one - http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,5402,00.asp]Bounce Spam Mail[/url]. It's supposed to work quite well (although I've used it, it was a while ago and I can't remember the result). If it's not suitable, there are other links at the bottom of that page to other programs you could try.

Mike.

godfather
20-12-2003, 05:59 PM
Spammers do not normally revisit an address used to send out spam, to check for responses or bounces. Usually they only want you to visit a website.

All you are doing in most cases is chewing up valuable internet bandwidth by bouncing the email.

yingxuan
21-12-2003, 04:38 AM
ah thanks.That was the program i used to use.I reckon blocking the address doesn't really work.U eventually run out of address to block so bouncing would be the prefered option.Im using dialup anyway!

godfather
21-12-2003, 09:27 AM
>Im using dialup anyway!

Its not just your bandwidth you are wasting. Its ISP bandwidth in general, that we all pay for indirectly in ISP fees.

Much more efficient to delete them instead of bouncing, the fact that they are bounced will never even be known by the spammer.

Peter M
21-12-2003, 10:26 AM
I have been using mailwasher for some time now and find it totally useless. Since it was installed my spam e-mails have actually increased. The same messages time after time from the same sites. Have tried bouncing and also just deleting but still they keep pouring in.