PDA

View Full Version : Brother Fax930 computer i'face cable

eve rybody
19-12-2003, 01:53 PM
Does anyone know the connections for the interface cable for a Brother Fax930 to computer serial port
ttfn brian

Kame
19-12-2003, 02:27 PM
There seems to be two types of Brother FAX930, a black one with the PC Interface and a White one without it. The interface cable would be whatever interface is on your Fax machine to your computer, if it's USB, then it'll be USB A to USB B, if Serial then it could be whatever D-PIN number to 9/29 pin serial. Most commonly 9 Pin. If parallel then just a normal printer cable would do.

The PC Interface when connected requires MFL Pro PC Fax software.

Kame
19-12-2003, 02:31 PM
OK I'll correct myself... colour doesn't mean a thing.

You require a MultiFunction Link which is sold seperately. I would call Brother up about it. See if they would sell you one, just try and get a price. If not ring Dick Smith Electronics, explain what you need and they'll get one in for you, hopefully.

I think the link is a male to female 9pin serial cable with a special box. Other than that it may just be a normal cable.

Graham L
19-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Serial cables are fun. ;-)

Printers are usually "straight though" DTE-DTE "serial cables" but the PC funnies with some of the control lines can be a problem if you are making up your own cables. (You need female connectors both ends ... 9 pin or 25 pin depending on the hardware.) "serial printer pinout" to Google will get you the standard pinouts ... the second link looks to be a good starting point.

If you want to buy a cable, a standard "modem" cable will probably be the one; not a "null modem" cable.

tweak\'e
19-12-2003, 04:27 PM
well i have one here and the multilink cable. its not a standard cable. it has its own converter box. you will most likly have to buy the proper lead and software from brother. also check what OS the software will run on.

ugh1
19-12-2003, 05:37 PM
If Dick Smith sell it ask for the service manual it will show you what you need.
Charges will apply of cause.

When I built the cabel for my 545MC it was just a max232 level converter chip.

DB9 to RJ45 for the connectors. I powered the max232 from the PC rs232 port, saved on a power supply.

Still need software for the PC, but not hard to find <grin>