PDA

View Full Version : Word Documents saved on my hard drive

summertime
18-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Is it possible to save a number of documents to a CD without having a disk writer. I only have a DVD on the tower. I want to use these documents at a workplace where the computer is shared with other people. I need to access these documents but don't want other people to be able to access them. Hope I have made myself clear. I am operating Windows 98 SE, work computers are Windows XP. Have you any suggestions please?

stu140103
18-12-2003, 10:01 PM
How big are the Word Documents ??? Can they fit on a floppy disk???

summertime
18-12-2003, 10:15 PM
The word documents have already filled 10 (3 1/2 floppy disks).

beama
18-12-2003, 10:21 PM
summer hi
question: on your work pc (the xp machine) are you or any of the other users have administrator rights ? if they do then yes by browsing the hardrive they can view your files however if they donot have admin' account rights they may be able to see your profile folder but not able to view the contents of it.

I dont think its possible to burn data to a disk unless you have a cdburner.

If the files are too big for a floppy,

1. try zipping them then put on floppy
2. zip and email to your work email address ( some network administrators put a limit on attachment sizes).

summertime
18-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Many thanks Stu and Beama. Don't know whether anyone has administrator rights.......I would presume so. Sounds like the only option is to zip the documents and email them but once the documents are printed off how do I save tme so that they are confidentiial and can only be accessed by me. Does the same thing apply....................if they have administrator rights they can still be accessed right? Would they remain confidential if they were password protected and if so how do I do that?

beama
18-12-2003, 11:14 PM
you can password protect Microsoft word files. To find out how in your version of word press the f1 key with Msword open type in "password protect" that should tell you how to do it.
warning dont forget your password if you do this
you can also password protect zip files ie require password before opening the zip file for extraction of files again check the help of the zipping program you are using to find out how to do this

Greg S
19-12-2003, 02:29 AM
Password protection is pretty low grade security - most administrators will be able to access your files.

Even if you encrypt them, once decrypted and viewed on your PC they'll become viewable by an administrator.

I recommend give up on the hope.

drcspy
19-12-2003, 05:29 AM
'Is it possible to save a number of documents to a CD without having a disk writer'

LOL.............can I put something on a floppy even tho I dont have a floppy drive ?...........hehehe

beama
19-12-2003, 06:06 AM
I agree greg, "Locks only keep out honest people"

parry
19-12-2003, 08:32 AM
The encryption for password security on Word & Excel is slightly stronger than a wet paper bag. There are several macros around that will do it no worries. Whats worrying is there can be several passwords that can unlock your file & they do not even slightly resemble what you may have entered. There are better ways to protect your documents.

Jen C
19-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Yes, some encryption for passwords may be a tad weak, but remember this is at your work place. Are there people who are capable or would attempt to crack a password on your documents - most likely not. And if so, why are they still employed?

Also remember in Office applications, there is a list of MRU's (most recently used) files that is clearly visible to the next person using that application. If you have opened up a document on the machine, remember to clear out that list:

In the application go to Tools > Options. Under the General tab, clear the Recently used file list check box.

On XP right click on the Start button > Properties > under Start Menu select "Customise.." then select the Advanced tab. Click on the Clear List button and remove the tick from beside "List my most recently opened documents"

Susan B
19-12-2003, 09:25 AM
> There are better ways to protect your documents.

Perhaps you might like to give Summertime some examples then? Like Jen says, her work colleagues may not be PC literate enough to bypass anything more than the most simple security so she may not need anything too elaborate. :-)

summertime
19-12-2003, 09:43 AM
To drcspy......................no need to be sarcastic. Is this not a forum for answering questions for all computer users? I am not familiar with the mechanics AT ALL of a computer. that is why I come here to ask. What may seem laughable to you because you are knowledgeable is a sensible question to me that I need answering. To everyone else that offered suggestions I say a big thank you for your tolerance.

Jen C
19-12-2003, 10:13 AM
Hi Summertime

Beama in his second post mentioned a way to password protect your word documents - this may be what will suit you. But you will have to use your judgement whether this would be sufficient for your needs at work.

Your DVD drive at home, are you sure it is not a combined CD-writer/DVD player? Have a look for the model number and what is written on the front of the drive. If it is not, CD-writers are quite cheap anyway (you can get them for less than $70) so you might want to consider getting one for future CD writing rather than using floppies for large files. You can have both a CD-writer and DVD-ROM drive installed at the same time in your machine.

summertime
19-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Thanks Jen and everyone else who helped. No, it is not a CD writer as well as a DVD. Thanks for letting me know approximately how much they are to buy. I have decided to zip and email the files and try and passowd them. Anybody who cracks the password will just have to view them.

Megaman
19-12-2003, 05:03 PM
well... if you have a printer and your office has a scanner then you could print them off and scan and save them as word. BTW if you email them and you edit them at the office you can't send them back home. i am assuming win 98 has office 97 and win XP has office XP. let me explain...

there are 3 versions of word, office 97, 2000 and XP

97 will read 97
2000 will read 97 and 2000
XP will read all

if you want to send them home after editing save them as rich text format (.rtf) or web page (.html)

hope this prevents future confusion

Megaman

Susan B
19-12-2003, 05:26 PM
Excellent advice there Megaman, well done. :-)

summertime
19-12-2003, 08:33 PM
Thank you so much Megaman.....your help is appreciated. Your explanation was very clear.