PDA

View Full Version : Different Jetstream locations

Jackiex
18-12-2003, 07:58 AM
If I have Jetstream at one location what is stopping me from loging in at a different location which will have a modem etc.

cyberchuck
18-12-2003, 08:33 AM
The exchange.
When you move house or change 'locations' you have to notify Telecom so that they can ensure the exchange you will be using has a DSLAM for Jetstream access. Then, all going well you can pay $99 to get a Telecom Techie to enable the ADSL Service for you at the exchange.

godfather
18-12-2003, 08:48 AM
If the other "location" you are talking about already has an existing Jetstream setup (on another account) then by changing the login details in the modem, you should be able to log-in as yourself, on your own account.

sam m
18-12-2003, 09:05 AM
> If the other "location" you are talking about already
> has an existing Jetstream setup (on another account)
> then by changing the login details in the modem, you
> should be able to log-in as yourself, on your own
> account.

I have often wondered this but I have 2 thoughts:

1) what if your account is a Jetstart yet the line you are using is Jetstream (full or 256k) or vice versa

2) what about the usage meter. doesnt the Telecom meter measure all traffic on the 'line' yet the ISP measures your 'account' usage.

If you did this then I think you would be putting the 'adsl enabled line' you are using at risk of incurring a rather large bill. It would be a rough equivalnt of using someones phone line without asking, there may be charges that might not make you popular.

Pheonix
18-12-2003, 09:08 AM
I think they meant that they put their user name/password into another's router to access their own account.
I don't know, but guessing it should be OK and work. Actually, might give it a go. See if I can use my jetstream account on the DSL at work. Mmmmmm.
Just remember that the speed will not change, in that if it is jetstream starter, it will stay that way. The speed is set in the exchange to the physical line that you are on.

Terry Porritt
18-12-2003, 11:30 AM
I would say Pheonix is right, but I'll let you know in the next few days as my son is coming over from Canada tomorrow and bringing his laptop which will be plugged into my router.

Stay tuned.

Dont forget HTOTW tomorrow night :)

Greg S
18-12-2003, 11:33 AM
> 1) what if your account is a Jetstart yet the line
> you are using is Jetstream (full or 256k) or vice
> versa

Good question. I asked my ISP (Orcon) about exactly that and they said the other user's account (full speed) would incur excess Telecom charges.

I'm not 100% convinced the helpdesk guy was correct, but I won't be putting it to the test

godfather
18-12-2003, 11:43 AM
Are you sure the speed stays the same?

Remember on JS Starter if you log in differently (to the Telecom Games realm) then the speed goes to full speed.
That suggests the speed is not a hardware determined one, but a log-in determined one?

Greg S
18-12-2003, 11:46 AM
That's kinda what I thought.

ugh1
18-12-2003, 11:47 AM
> > If the other "location" you are talking about
> already
> > has an existing Jetstream setup (on another
> account)
> > then by changing the login details in the modem,
> you
> > should be able to log-in as yourself, on your own
> > account.
>
> I have often wondered this but I have 2 thoughts:
>
> 1) what if your account is a Jetstart yet the line
> you are using is Jetstream (full or 256k) or vice
> versa
>
> 2) what about the usage meter. doesnt the Telecom
> meter measure all traffic on the 'line' yet the ISP
> measures your 'account' usage.
>
> If you did this then I think you would be putting the
> 'adsl enabled line' you are using at risk of
> incurring a rather large bill. It would be a rough
> equivalnt of using someones phone line without
> asking, there may be charges that might not make you
> popular.

Ring 123 and ask to speak too the ADSL Help Desk.

Jester
18-12-2003, 01:10 PM
The line is always "full speed", however when you log on to your ISP you are restricted to a download and upload speed to your ISP dependent on whatever plan you have with them.

Telecom doesn't enable "Jetstream Starter" ADSL, "Jetstream 256 ADSL" etc, it just enables ADSL. Your ISP limits the speed and cap.

When you access the JSG realm, the log on you use (user@jetstreamgames.co.nz) is set for full rate.

J
:D

godfather
18-12-2003, 01:22 PM
That was my understanding as well.

In that case, logic ? suggests that logging onto your ISP on a different ADSL enabled line (by changing the modem log-in) would "transfer" your speed characteristics and charging plan to that line, while logged in as you?

Greg S
18-12-2003, 01:39 PM
I'm now almost certain this is correct. I'm now determined to put it to the test. The only problem I envisage is my alternate person's location, who uses Xtra, and their (Telecom's) usage meters, which are quite innacurate by reputation.

We'll see - might have to wait for their bill. Watch this space.

Jester
18-12-2003, 03:37 PM
I am pretty sure that the usage meter is connected to the user account, and therefore will show as whoever is connected, rather than a fixed meter from the location (like what a water meter would be like, for example).

Let us know how ya get on!

J
:D

Lohsing
18-12-2003, 07:08 PM
That said... would I be able to enter my Clear Net Tempest account details in from work (if work connection is off) and get 256k uncapped at my residential??

-=JM=-
19-12-2003, 01:40 AM
I think the general idea is don't. I've heard that the usage goes on the line that you're using, not sure if anyone actually knows for sure though

* sits around waits for Peter *

Lohsing
19-12-2003, 09:14 AM
Spoke to Quicksilver about it... they advised they only needed an ADSL enabled line. I asked if they needed the new number I was going to at their end and they said no - something about "no point of presence" ??

Lo.