PDA

View Full Version : Invalid Profile

MrMike
17-12-2003, 08:15 PM
Hey,

When i start windows (xp home) it comes up with a message saying a certain profile is invaild or has been corrupted. So i started a new profile (just a matter of getting used to all the annoying little 'welcome to this program for the first time windows').

Now.. my big problem.. i've lost my address book and a lot of important emails for outlook express! Being too trusting I hadn't saved or printed off the important emails and now i'm having trouble locating the folder they should be stored in.

I thought i would be able to import the address book, but after locating where the folder should be (think it's hidden?) i'm not sure it's as simple as i thought..

Any suggestions on how i might be able to get back my emails and address book?

Thanks in advance!

stu140103
17-12-2003, 10:25 PM
Hello MrMike

Welcome to Press F1, I hope you have a nice time here :)

Did you delete your old profile???? I hope you did not?

beama
18-12-2003, 12:07 AM
mrmike, stew has a good point, unhide system files and folders and show file extensions, then try exploring your c:\ this path ( you have to logged in as administrator to do this)
C:\documents and settings\currupt profile name\ the files you are looking for will be in there somewhere I think the address book files has an extension of "wab" as for copying them into your new profile NOT SURE but hopefulling some else would know.
heres and idea, do a search on the root of c drive for *.wab
sorry I dont know how outlook stores the emails but hopefully some else will (doesnt use a ms mail client)

beama
18-12-2003, 08:26 AM
mike this is where i found my address book even though i dont use outlook express

C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

beama
18-12-2003, 08:27 AM
try again
C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book

beama
18-12-2003, 08:34 AM
this may also help find your lost email messages
http://www.osp.ru/win2000/exchange/table45exch10_02.htm
a file type of eml is listed there for outlook express emails
I suggest doing a search on your c drive for this file type ie *.eml

Pheonix
18-12-2003, 08:56 AM
Actually, if looking for OE email boxes. go :-

C:\Documents and Settings\USER NAME\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{HEAPS LETTERS & NUMBERS}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

There you wil find inbox.dbx outbox.dbx ... etc Copy these to your a folder on your desktop.

Then open OE and file-import-messages and tick "import from OE store" and direct it to the folder. Voila, all messages and e-mails are now in your new profile.

You can import the address in similar way OE file-import-addressbook.

Pheonix
18-12-2003, 09:04 AM
And when all is well again...backup those important files! Because next time it may be the whole hard drive that dies ,and your important info is gone forever. Unless you have a spare $10-20,000 to send it to the states for recovery. And even then it is not guaranteed.

Better to backup when it is good. Take this profile problem as a warning bell. :)

MrMike
18-12-2003, 05:47 PM
Thanx,

Yeah, i did lost my old account on here but i can't say i was the most active participant anyway.. more of a browser..

I've managed to import the address book from the other profile by copying C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Address Book .. so that's one thing down..

Searching for .eml files only produced the emails that i had saved, not the ones that are stored within my inbox in the old profile.

Next problem, and please excuse my ignorance. How do I show hidden folders?. i think this was the main problem as i knew they were there.. but for the life of me had no idea how to do so?

Anyway.. you guys have been heaps of help so far, so thanx for the pointers!

Jen C
18-12-2003, 06:16 PM
Hi MrMike

Microsoft have some articles on how to copy user data to a new profile. You have already performed some of the steps, but should find it helpful anyway: How to Copy User Data to a New User Profile (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;811151)

They also provide a link on how to copy across you emails from the previous profile: Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 313055 (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=313055). The article is on missing emails post upgrade to XP, but you use the same procedure to move your old profile's emails to your new profile.

>How do I show hidden folders?

Open up Windows Explorer and go Tools > Folder Options > View Tab. Click beside "Show hidden files and folders" to select it. Click Apply and OK.

When performing searches, have a look under the dropdown arrow beside "More Advanced options" and make sure you also select "Search hidden files and folders"

Let us know how you get on :)