PDA

View Full Version : Floppy Win98 SE -> Win XP

eef2
17-12-2003, 06:20 PM
Having done a quick search on F1 for this topic was to no avail. Therefore, what I want to know, is -
Since there is a world of difference between Win 98SE and XP, i.e. XP has compressed drives as a standard and Win 98 has the choice of FAT or FAT 32,
one wonders whether a floppy created in FAT on Win 98 could be read in a XP A drive (see above).
Inserting one such in an XP machine gave the message "disk needs formatting". But does it? Does it not need compressing, instead?
An comments or views?

eef2
17-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Sorry, I meant - Any comments or views?

drcspy
17-12-2003, 07:03 PM
a floppy made and formatted on a 98 system is CERTAINLY readable on a XP system. many XP systems are FAT32 just like 98 and evev if its NTFS it shouldnt matter

Pheonix
17-12-2003, 07:43 PM
All floppy's are FAT. Win98 is FAT32 and XP can be either FAT32 or NTFS. And no, they are not compressed. Basically it is just the way the "index" to where all the files are, is configured.
If the disk can be read in one PC and not the other, it is a problem with the A drive, not the software.

zminos
17-12-2003, 07:53 PM
yep a floppys is formatted in FAT12... and is readable in linux and all flavours of windows.

as stated by the person above, if there is a problem with the drive then it is either the drive or a problem phiscally with the disk ie: corrupt,scrached etc.

for example :

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/ntfsfloppy.shtml

:)