PDA

View Full Version : download

Megaman
16-12-2003, 08:14 PM
isnt there a piece of software that speeds up downloads? this will be useful if i want to download linux over 56 dial-up.

Mike
16-12-2003, 08:18 PM
> isnt there a piece of software that speeds up
> downloads? this will be useful if i want to download
> linux over 56 dial-up.

There are many programs that will speed up downloads (I use Download Accelerator), however it won't speed it up by that much. It'll still take probably several days to download Linux (depending on how many CDs worth you'd have to download).

It'd be far quicker to ask someone on here to copy it and send it to you.

Mike.

cyberchuck
16-12-2003, 08:20 PM
There are several ways to do this:
1 - use a download manager with the ability to segment downloads. While this won't speed up the download speed it does seem to help decrease the download time (probably by filling all available bandwidth)
2 - Internet Explorer is a commonly used program to help speed up downloads. Head on over to http://www.trademe.co.nz or ask someone who deals in Linux distro's here then wait 2 days for a linux distro.

Megaman
16-12-2003, 08:23 PM
oaky is there any kind person that will copy linux and send it to me? email me, teddy_flora@hotmail.com. i live in riccarton, ch-ch if it's of any relevance.

Jen C
16-12-2003, 08:28 PM
> oaky is there any kind person that will copy linux
> and send it to me? email me

What Linux distribution did you want?

Megaman
16-12-2003, 08:30 PM
any really... preferebly SUSe or redhat. thnks so much anyone who volunteers

its only been 10 mins and i've made progress ;)

Mike
16-12-2003, 08:47 PM
> any really... preferebly SUSe or redhat. thnks so
> much anyone who volunteers
>
> its only been 10 mins and i've made progress ;)

Well done :)

I've got a couple here I could copy off for you (Mandrake and Red Hat), although I live in Tauranga, so it might be faster if someone closer to home gets in first :)

let me know.

Mike.

ilikelinux
17-12-2003, 12:30 PM
chill has a large selection of linux,

donno if he will charge u or not, he paid for my first one but then my second one will be 90cents or so.

Megaman
17-12-2003, 07:47 PM
ok back 2 the question...

i would like to get the download accalarator as downloading service packs and acid 8 packs is a long process

agent
17-12-2003, 08:39 PM
Well, I've used LeechGet (http://www.leechget.com), and I find it nice (ie, no adware), although it does suffer problems in Windows 9x where it will botch extended downloads depending on the memory available - it only writes what has been downloaded to disk when you pause the download or it completes. XP does not suffer this problem, so neither should 2000 AFAIK (but downloads can also get botched in XP - I've tried downloading Slackware many times on various computers, the farthest I got was 15%).

I've now turned to WackGet (search on Google, I'm not sure of the URL), which is a Win32 GUI interface for wget. It doesn't do multiple threads (as far as I can tell), but it's simple, clean, and small.

00falcon
17-12-2003, 08:41 PM
I just downloaded WinLinux2003 on a 56k connection...
Dont worry... i didnt realise what WinLinux was... so dont give me s*#t.... but any way...

it was 346meg... not huge by any means...
I used "star downloader" so i could resume... bonus...

All i think a "download speeder uper thingy" does is breaks the file up into more peices than normal... but all said and dun... its still only 56k max...

ps it took bout 25 hours over three days or should i say nights...
i think it was my biggest download yet...

later

hazza
17-12-2003, 09:01 PM
lol, ive been trying to download desert combat 0.5 on my 56k for the last 2 or so weeks, its only 28%, those download managers a good for those biiigggg downloads...

(bit of a random post, sorry...)

ilikelinux
19-12-2003, 12:10 PM
where do u live?

ilikelinux
19-12-2003, 12:11 PM
e.g auckland?

Megaman
19-12-2003, 02:39 PM
christchurch... but why? i have a deal with a kind person who will give me redhat and mandrake

p.s when i install linux will it give me a partitioner? i have 2 partitions in a 40gb hd. 10 gb and 30gb. i want 10gb (win xp), 15gb (my documents), 7.5gb (mandrake 9.0) and 7.5gb (redhat 8.0)

gamesman
19-12-2003, 06:06 PM
since linux is very big and on 3 CDs on 56 k internet it will take about a week depending on what isp you have. No Download Accelerators quicken Internet because it just downloads from different mirrors. You can just look around for someone to send it to you by post or at stores it cost $10.00 including packaging and manual