PDA

View Full Version : Data sent/received

Remy
16-12-2003, 01:09 PM
I've searched through the old posts about this but the results were quite the opposite so I'll just post.

I noticed that on the connection icon on the icon tray, the 'sent' screen rarely goes black. So I check the status and sure enough this is what I get (after only 40 minutes of surfing, minimal even):

Speed: 50.6 Kbps
Sent: 23,062,343 bytes
Received: 2,592,619 bytes

I know that data received is normally higher than data sent, so I'm sitting here wondering what the heck my pc is doing. I've downloaded and run Ad-aware but that didn't seem to solve anything. I've tried shutting down all possible programs, and even when the pc sits idle with no browsers, messengers, etc running, it continues on sending data. Any ideas?

I just checked it now at 1 hour connection's time:

Sent: 34,945,811 bytes
Received: 3,032,441 bytes

=\

Graham L
16-12-2003, 01:13 PM
That seems a bit suspicious. ;-) Have you by any chance an HP multimedia keyboard? Some genius at HP decided it was a good idea for the keyboard to call home. Frequently. :O A patch is available to fix that.

mikebartnz
16-12-2003, 02:15 PM
Welcome to PressF1.
You need to get a firewall like Zonealarm from www. zonelabs (http://www.zonelabs.com).com (there is a free version) which will tell you what program is accessing the outside. You may have been infected with a trojan. A lot of people may be getting a bit of spam. :D
I also assume your anti-virus is up to date.

mikebartnz
16-12-2003, 02:16 PM
I seem to remember Ad-Aware getting rid of that and I don't think they would be sending quite so much data.

Budda
16-12-2003, 03:01 PM
um i havent been on dial up for a while but isnt that a bit high, sending out 34MB of data an hour??, i thought it should be more like 14MB an hour?? but i could be way off base

Remy
16-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Well I downloaded the patch, and now it's ok. Was quite worried there, data sent spiked up to 50Mb by the time I disconnected earlier. I never knew a keyboard could ping so much :^O Ah well.

Thanks a lot for the help! :) Great place you have here.

Pheonix
16-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Nice place, with real neat people. Someone is always willing to help with payment of a thankyou. :D

Graham L
16-12-2003, 04:40 PM
And sometimes we get the remote diagnosis right. ;-) Always pleasing, that.