PDA

View Full Version : Direct 3D 'not available' on GeForce - help!

Jimmy D
16-12-2003, 09:24 AM
My friend has an NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 420 64meg running on windows XP, just recently the card (or something else) wont initialise Direct3D, when u go into games which use direct 3d they dont work, counter-strike works because it uses openGL, i've tried enabling Direct3D in dxdiag, in dxdiag is says DirectDraw Acceleration Direct3D Acceleration and AGP Texture Acceleration is all "Not Available" however it lets me press the 'test directdraw'button. this just started happening a couple of days ago, before then everything was working fine. should i try updating the drivers or soemthing? using directx 8.1

any help would be greatly appreciated appreciated!

kiwibeat
16-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Uninstall present graphics drivers then do a clean reinstall

CYaBro
16-12-2003, 10:21 AM
As kiwibeat has said, uninstall current display driver then reinstall chipset drivers (Via, Intel, SIS etc) and then latest geforce driver.

Jimmy D
16-12-2003, 05:28 PM
yep i tried doing a clean install on the video drivers, that didnt work. i dont want to reinstall the chipset drivers because its my friends computer and i dont know if they have the cd for the chipset drivers. any other suggestions?

Jimmy D
16-12-2003, 05:29 PM
could it possibly a hardware problem? because it stopped working properly after the computer had been carried.

Chilling_Silently
16-12-2003, 06:02 PM
I would update DirectX to 9.0b, as its telling you it cant initialize Direct3D (part of DirectX), why not upgrade to the latest one and see if that works!?

Chill.

Jimmy D
17-12-2003, 10:07 AM
hmm yep i installed 9.0, doesnt make a difference

godfather
17-12-2003, 10:49 AM
> could it possibly a hardware problem? because it
> stopped working properly after the computer had been
> carried.

Have you removed and reseated the card, as its not uncommon for connection problems to occur whan PCs are transported (the cases twist slightly, and that tends to try and pop the cards out)

agent_24
17-12-2003, 11:26 AM
Try installing the AGP slot.

Jimmy D
17-12-2003, 06:38 PM
the computer's under warrenty so i cant open it, but that could be the problem. if i open it up is there any way people can tell its been opened? i dont think it has a warrenty sticker on it, and whats 'installing the AGP slot' ?

BIFF
17-12-2003, 07:06 PM
Try checking in the troubleshooting tab of the advanced display properties and see if hardware acceleration has been turned down, or off.

godfather
17-12-2003, 07:31 PM
> the computer's under warrenty so i cant open it,

Why?

I have never had a "brand name" computer or other yet (and I have had about 14 over the years) that the documentation said that the warranty was void if I opened the case. Many gave instructions on how to open the case and add components.

If I did something that stuffed the PC, sure I am not going to claim on warranty.

If I add RAM, and then the CD Rom packs up, its a warranty claim.
If the RAM I added fails, its a claim against the company I bought the RAM from, not the PC supplier.

You simply accept responsibility for what you do.
You don't accept responsibility for what you are not responsible for.

Jimmy D
18-12-2003, 09:42 AM
oh ok, thanks godfather, that helps. i just seemed to think that if its under warrenty dont **** with it or it'll be void. ok ill have a tutu (when the gf isnt looking, its her computer) :D

Jimmy D
18-12-2003, 09:44 AM
> Try checking in the troubleshooting tab of the
> advanced display properties and see if hardware
> acceleration has been turned down, or off.

its up full