PDA

View Full Version : Outlook confusion.

sam m
16-12-2003, 08:06 AM
Just received xmas email from friend with .exe attachment. It was expected email and the attacment is that xmas one with the house that you decorate with mouse clicks (quite cool really).

Outlook denied me opening it as it is an .exe file and I couldnt find anyway of getting into it and thought that maybe Outlook had actually stripped the attachment therefore it would be lost forever (unless I got my friend to resend it and I would open it with something else)

I had a thought though, I forwarded the email to myself. Shut down Outlook and viewed the email via webmail and lo and behold the attachment was there which I could download onto my computer.

I guess the question is, if I could forward the email with the attachment intact then that must mean that the attachment was still on my computer (hiden by outlook). Is there an easier way of getting that attacment than the way that I did?

sam m

Babe Ruth
16-12-2003, 08:20 AM
sam m, If you are talking about Outlook Express then...

To see the blocked attachments in Outlook Express. Start OE click on TOOLS | OPTIONS | SECURITY then unselect the radio-button option "Do not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus". Click OK to close your options and then you will be able to open those attachments. However it is a good idea to normally have the option ticked, and just change it for those emails you want.

Cheers, Babe

Budda
16-12-2003, 08:23 AM
yeah its a security setting in outlook that stops you from recieving unsafe files. There is a setting under security that you can change and you will be able to view these files, i have done it before but dont have outlook at the mo so hopefully someone here should be able to point it out ?

godfather
16-12-2003, 09:12 AM
http://www.certificationsuccess.com/index.cfm?pageid=314&siteid=1

sam m
16-12-2003, 09:15 AM
Not OE, Outlook. (part of office XP)
I went to Outlook help and it stated that .exe (and a host of others) are called 'level 1' files and cannot be changed.

copied from outlook help:
There are two levels of attachment security. Access to level 1 files is blocked and can't be changed. When you receive an attachment with a level 2 file type, you will be prompted to save the file to your hard disk. If you use Microsoft Exchange Server, your administrator can add and remove file types for both levels of e-mail security. If a file type is added to both levels, it will be treated as a level 1 file type.

It says that access is blocked which means that it must be still in the email somewhere but I cant get it. Not a biggie as I can get it eventually but thought I would ask.

sam m
16-12-2003, 09:17 AM
ahh registry change..... tks GF

Smithie 38
16-12-2003, 10:17 AM
Hi Sam.
I think you and I received the same email. If you click on the attachment icon in OE and you "open" the attachment the next window is headed Jax Christmas Card 5.
Now in the dialogue box beside "attach" double click on Jax Christmas Card 5. EXE and you will then be able to open the card.
Easy huh when you know how, but I have to admit I rang the sender to find out how to open the dam thing.
Cheers Smithie

Jim B
16-12-2003, 10:26 AM
He is not using OE.
Outlook is a completely different program with severe restrictions on being able to open attachments.

Smithie 38
16-12-2003, 11:15 AM
Hi Jim B

Sorry I didnt read the question correctly.
You are right - my mistake.

Cheers Smithie

sam m
16-12-2003, 11:15 AM
hi Smithie (the plants are doing well)

Yeah with outlook express your method would work but with Outlook it doesnt work that way.
I dont really get that many emails like this for me to justify going into the registry *I get sweaty palms when I make changes there* to make the changes as per GF's link so the way I do it by opening via webmail is good enough for me.

I do like that .exe file old eddie sent tho' :)

sam m

Susan B
16-12-2003, 11:31 AM
At this time of year these cards and games are doing the rounds into everyone's inbox and it isn't difficult to become a little complacent about security, especially when they have been received from friends and family.

A few years ago I received a really cool game and as an internet newbie was horrified when I discovered that it had a trojan hidden in it that I did not pick up for quite some time. Fortunately, back then I was online far less than I am now so no damage was done but it still scared me.

So, do be a little to be cautious when opening these cool Christmas cards and games - always scan them with an up-to-date anti-virus scanner first. :-)