PDA

View Full Version : Lost Sound

Hilton
15-12-2003, 06:34 PM
Hi
I have an amd 1800 running windows xp home. For no apparent reason I have completely lost all sound. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers Hilton

Stryker
15-12-2003, 07:13 PM
Firstly, check your connections from PC to speakers.
Then is there power to your speakers, maybe speakers unplugged at the wall?

Can you tell us what sound card you have, or perhaps is your sound
Integrated into the motherboard?

Cheers.

Hilton
16-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Thanks for your reply but I`ve done all the basics. Everything is connected. I have a Soltek motherboard with on-board sound and I have Sound Blaster Live with the latest drivers. Your call.

Susan B
16-12-2003, 11:34 AM
No replies = a rather tricky problem. :-(

Could be a number of reasons - have you recently received any "interesting" files via email? Added any new programs?

Unless someone else can come up with more suggestions I would be thinking of a reinstall of Windows myself, as long as you have been through all the sound settings to see if anything may have been muted or had the volume reduced somehow. Double-click on the sound icon in the tasktray and also check in control panel.

ugh1
16-12-2003, 03:10 PM
> Thanks for your reply but I`ve done all the basics.
> Everything is connected. I have a Soltek motherboard
> with on-board sound and I have Sound Blaster Live
> with the latest drivers. Your call.

Have you selected your prefered device?
Are both sound devices active?
Have you connected the speakers to the active device?

metla
16-12-2003, 03:29 PM
Havent hit f8 while using the windows media player by anychance?

This mutes sounds from within windows and works idipenditly of the media volume control and the windows master volume.

Otherwise,Test your speakers on another device,if they definitly work then have a look at the audio options within the control panel.

And have a sqizz in the device manager for problems.

Hilton
16-12-2003, 03:56 PM
Ugh 1
Yes
Yes
Yes
It has been going OK since 11/1/02

Susan B I have added new programs but sound was still OK afterwards.
90% of my email is dumped straight off.The rest is dead safe.I have done the rest. Is a Windows reinstall all that`s left. God help me.
cheers Hilton

ugh1
16-12-2003, 04:17 PM
> Ugh 1
> Yes
> Yes
> Yes
> It has been going OK since 11/1/02
>
> Susan B I have added new programs but sound was still
> OK afterwards.
> 90% of my email is dumped straight off.The rest is
> dead safe.I have done the rest. Is a Windows
> reinstall all that`s left. God help me.
> cheers Hilton

You have not enabled 5.1 mode by acedent?

Susan B
16-12-2003, 04:25 PM
> Is a Windows reinstall all that`s left.

Not yet, wait for some more suggestions. :-)

> God help me.

What's the problem? A reinstall is not a biggie and you won't lose all your programs and data.

Stryker
16-12-2003, 07:06 PM
A few cheap suggestions here:

Maybe check to be sure that onboard sound is disabled on your motherboard.
Also check that Digital sound is not enabled or disabled given your respective speaker system.

Can you not get any sounds to play at all? That is, have you tried removing the Live! card and getting your tunes to play through the onboard sound?

And lastly make sure the system volume is turned up. Control panel/Sounds and Audio Devices.

I know all my suggestions are pretty simple, but itís a quick check you can do before an entire format.

Hilton
17-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Can I just do an install of Win XP over the top.
I don`t have to worry about partitions or formatting at all.
My drive is partitioned into 3 and last time my mate formatted and installed Win XP I had to reinstall programs right left and centre to get anything to work. That`s what the God help me bit was about.

Susan B
17-12-2003, 10:01 AM
> Can I just do an install of Win XP over the top.

Yes, of course you can. That is what I was meaning when I suggested it. :-)

> I don`t have to worry about partitions or formatting at all.
> My drive is partitioned into 3 and last time my mate formatted and installed Win XP I had to reinstall programs right left and centre to get anything to work. That`s what the God help me bit was about.

Oh I see. No, a reinstall is not a format and your programs and data will remain as they are. It is still wise to backup your data though, just in case......

Stryker
17-12-2003, 08:45 PM
If you have data that you simply cant live without, of course back that up to the likes of CDR!!

If I was in your situation (assuming you have two HDD's) copy all you think you might need from your primary to your secondary, once done remove the power and the IDE cable to your disk (so there can be no mistakes!!!) and install windows and add/remove partitions as you see fit.

With regards to partitioning: what I like to do, is give windows its own partition (10 gigs seems to do the job) that way if win decides to die, you can just format where windows lives, no apps, work or anything else is lost but windows and hardware drivers.

Once done, bring on all your precious data from your isolated secondary drive.

This approach is the fastest and the most efficient I can think of. That is you can copy a lot, if not all data across to real quick.

agent
17-12-2003, 09:01 PM
If you're up for it, you could always try something like Knoppix.

I've had a similar problem (my sound in Win98 disappeared ~six months ago, and hasn't come back since, not even with multiple driver installations, uninstallations, removing hardware, checking BIOS settings, etc), and lo-and-behold, upon trying Mandrake Linux - I had sound (though the scroll mouse wasn't detected - you can't have the best of both worlds).

Best option I can give you is to check the 'Sounds and Audio Devices' Control Panel applet. Under the Audio tab, check that your hardware is actually detected (ie, the three or so drop-down boxes aren't greyed out). This is the problem I have.