PDA

View Full Version : Linux and MS

Jackiex
15-12-2003, 04:04 PM
I am wanting to run Linux but am unsure if you are able to run MS programs (Money, games etc.) and others such as AutoCAD.

Susan B
15-12-2003, 05:01 PM
You could possibly run some Microsoft apps in Linux by using something like WineX, etc but why would you bother?? If you want to run MS apps then use Windows. If you want to run Linux then use Linux apps.

Dolby Digital
15-12-2003, 05:03 PM
I wouldn't get your hopes up. There is a program called wine www.winehq.org which "emulates" Microsoft Windows but I haven't had alot of success with it. CrossOver Office tries to bridge the gap so you can run qualified versions of Microsoft Office. This is not free but is included in distros like Xandros. Having said that there are usually equivalents e.g. GNUCash may do what you want. OpenOffice.org will read and write Office files (except Access) so it a very good replacement of Microsoft Office standard and it is multi-platform too. Oh and for games there is WineX but I have never tried it. There have been past discussions on PressF1 so there might be something in the archives.

Dolby Digital
15-12-2003, 05:05 PM
>>but why would you bother
Susan, I wonder what the developers of Wine would say about that comment :D

Chilling_Silently
15-12-2003, 05:14 PM
I agree that there are enough Linux apps out there to warrant running native applications over using Wine. Ive got Wine installed but only use it to run WinMX.

If you want to know of a Linux application to do something you do in Windows, then there's quite a few people here who can put you on the right path :-)

..../usr/bin

;-)

Susan B
15-12-2003, 05:22 PM
> >>but why would you bother
> Susan, I wonder what the developers of Wine would say about that comment :D

Mmm, well I wouldn't be popular that's for sure. :D

There is nothing wrong with running one or two Windows apps in Linux if you can (I would love to be able to use my CardFile program in Linux) but I cannot understand someone wanting to run a whole swag of them. Does not make sense to me - just keep using Windows, I say. ;-)

Chilling_Silently
15-12-2003, 05:38 PM
This may be of interest:
http://www.winehq.com/site/docs/wine-faq/index

Jen C
15-12-2003, 06:01 PM
This is quoted from the Wine FAQ site which sums it up:

First Wine is not about running Windows but about running Windows applications.

So if all your computing needs are fulfilled by native Unix applications, then you do not need Wine and should not be using it. However, if you depend on one or more of the tens of thousands of Windows applications, then Wine is the best way to use it without giving up on Unix.

As others have mentioned, there are plenty of comparable programs available in Linux that could do what your current MS program is doing. For the odd MS program that you really must have, that is what Wine is for (either that or drinking the stuff :p).

>I would love to be able to use my CardFile program in Linux

Watch this space B-)