PDA

View Full Version : [OT] "Super Corrective DVD Player"

Lohsing
14-12-2003, 11:03 PM
This (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/12/12/1071125653800.html) DVD player looks pretty interesting... something designed to handle jitter errors from poor DVD presses and DVD back-up.

The thing I don't understand is that newer generation CD players are much more effective at reading audio CD's burnt at higher speeds (more jitter) and yet DVD hasn't seemed to follow in these footsteps... in some instances, my Pioneer DVD player has problems with DVD's hired from the local stores...

I'd at least expect with the money I pay for a DVD player to not have a single skip... ever.

Lo.

Chilling_Silently
14-12-2003, 11:35 PM
Very interesting that Sony are backing it, knowing that it _is_ mainly used for Piracy...!

Lohsing
14-12-2003, 11:38 PM
Yes well... I'd be interested to see what the finished product looks like and whether Sony are going to use it in their own products in the future.

Lo.

Baldy
14-12-2003, 11:40 PM
> Very interesting that Sony are backing it, knowing
> that it _is_ mainly used for Piracy...!

That surprises me as well. Maybe it will only play pirated Sony blanks

hazza
14-12-2003, 11:40 PM
hmmm very dodgy...

hzz

Lohsing
14-12-2003, 11:44 PM
> > Very interesting that Sony are backing it, knowing
> > that it _is_ mainly used for Piracy...!
>
> That surprises me as well. Maybe it will only play
> pirated Sony blanks

Well... Sony sell add-ons to the PS2 which make it a 'region free' DVD player... Sony sells DVD writers, CD writers, along with the CD-R and DVD (+/-) R media too... They sell their own proprietary minidisc encouraging people to convert their CD's to their own playlist on a minidisc... and then they have the nerve to add on the NetMD option which allows you to convert your mp3 collection from your PC too!

That and the fact that the PS2 they are selling in China will play copied games with no problems because they recognised that piracy was so rampant there...

All a bit hypocritical for me.

Lo.