PDA

View Full Version : y do business people want really fast internet

Hiren
14-12-2003, 10:31 PM
I'm just wondering fast Internet is used 4 like gaming and stuff so why would business people want it

godfather
14-12-2003, 10:38 PM
I regularly have to transfer (by e-mail and secure server) many megabytes of data for busness purposes.

My needs are very similar to other businesses, there is a large amount of B2B (Business to Business) data transfer takes place these days.

High speed internet means it doesn't take several hours to transfer the data, only minutes.

Gaming does not always require "fast internet" in terms of wide bandwidth, as minimal data is usually transferred when gaming. Fast internet does not always give reduced "ping" times, which is what gamers seen to need.

tweak\'e
14-12-2003, 10:40 PM
like most peole we don't want to wait around waiting for pages or downloads to finish. also a lot of buinesses have multible pc's connected so they need the bandwidth. don't forget time is money!

whetu
14-12-2003, 10:48 PM
take a 500 level ecommerce paper (which will include *keyword* ebusiness */keyword* ) and find out :)

metla
14-12-2003, 10:49 PM
I only run a small business but I get up to 60 emails a day, a lot have attachments in the forms of receipts, pricelists, promotions, One company I deal with insists on sending me receipts as a screenshot saved in a word document, These a regularly over 2mb its size.

Such a pain on 56k,my day comes to a near standstill as i wait for the endless procession of mail to arrive in my mailbox (and I would like to give a little present to the fool from Iraq sending me requests for large amounts of hardware from a yahoo address while claiming to be the director of a billion dollar oil company...)

Hiren
14-12-2003, 10:54 PM
cool thats y....

Greg S
14-12-2003, 11:59 PM
> Gaming does not always require "fast internet"

Yes, mostly turn-based games or very old ones

> terms of wide bandwidth, as minimal data is usually
> transferred when gaming. Fast internet does not
> always give reduced "ping" times, which is what
> gamers seen to need.

Suggest you investigate it a bit more - larger bandwidth is critical to many current online games. The "minimal" data transfer you suggest is an ideal that game engines/servers aspire to, but many cannot realise it in multiplayer modes where there are more than a couple of players... especially not in recent games.

Fast Internet does in fact give better pings, mostly

Really, online gamers will almost always benefit from broadband Internet

Winston001
15-12-2003, 10:14 AM
Moving to Jetstream has been as great as sliced bread.

Our office network has speeded up, individual machines can access the net quickly, each now has e-mail, and it even seems,( illogical as it is) that our computers have a new lease of life.

We access secure servers such as Land on Line which are very slow and cumbersome. Originally from start to finish it used to take 18 minutes to search and finish printing a land title over dial-up. With Jetstream the same process takes about 3 minutes.

And we free up a telephone line as well! All very good news for a rural business.

Cheers
Winston001
Winston001

csinclair83
15-12-2003, 10:37 AM
ohh i was interested in wondering why myself...
my theory was that they got fast internet coz it actually provides internet and the phone line on 1 line...(cheaper than having 2 lines i think) and not for the speed but seems that speed is pretty important too...

Kame
15-12-2003, 10:49 AM
Greg S, you'll have to back up your information on gaming, as that is not the case. Fast internet, high bandwidth does not give you a better ping. Ping is latency, which is basically the number of hops it takes you to get to the server and back to your computer include the efficiency of your line, the faster the internet isn't going to improve this.

I had a 2Mbit connection and if that gave me the advantage I would have played better but I still had a real ping (true ping) of 70-130ms (you blame your ISP but the real problem may not be them). It really depends on how far you are from the games server and how many hops it takes you to get there.

Theoritically, faster internet is better than slower, but if you take into account of how far you are from the server, and your line conditions, you can still end up with a worse ping than someone who's on 56K.

Chilling_Silently
15-12-2003, 10:59 AM
It also has to do with what else you're downloading at the time, and if you're using something else that's Maxing out your connection...

Kame's right AFAIK, that ping is the Time taken to get from one host to another (and back?), and speed has no impact on this.

When I had Wireless LAN, my ping (1mbps) was < 3ms
Now I'm back to 10/100 LAN and Im still getting same results coz its still travelling just as far :-)

Kame
15-12-2003, 11:20 AM
Yes, If you understand the Ping command, basically it sends out data (specified packet size) to the server you choose, and the server sends a reply back. The magic is all done within the program that works out the time it took for that data to be sent and the reply that you got back in ms. With firewalls in place or server is down, it takes longer for the reply and times out, which may mean it's <999ms or whatever the timeout time is, that's why pinging may seem to take forever with some servers.

metla
15-12-2003, 11:23 AM
Which is all nice and well but people on 56k lag the stink out of Multiplayer games.

Chilling_Silently
15-12-2003, 11:29 AM
That's usually because there's too much data being sent at once.

Its not to say that on a 128kbps connection its being maxed out, but more that when data needs to come down at 128kbps, it can!

Graham Petrie
15-12-2003, 12:15 PM
Yeah Ditto with the Land-Online. Not just titles, but survey and title plans, survey data, spatial plots, and lodgement of survey data in LandXML format - all lots of MB's, not to mention the actual amount of data transferred just to access the application as it is all run from the sever end with just an ICA client on the users machine.

Secondly sending plans and drawings to clients, sending and receiving 3D models from architects etc (Many, many, many MB). Sending graphics to advertisers etc.

Graphic designers, web designers, people involved in eCommerce, online trading, film and tv industry all need to send large files via email or internet.

G P

Kame
15-12-2003, 09:55 PM
If the files are important, you'd expect a Virtual Private Network (VPN) in place, which also would be a reason for fast internet.

If you look at some of the companies I've worked for, I noticed that they are national with franchises all over the place, for instance a supplier is in the South Island, but has an Office up in Auckland. The sales rep for the Auckland Office has a laptop that can get data from the stockist in the South Island and you wouldn't want slow internet for this communication to take place, you would want instant answers as the less time you spend finding out whether they have the items at their warehouse, they can be doing more sales.

Time is money in business and the less you spend getting the answers the more you can spend getting sales.

Greg S
15-12-2003, 10:20 PM
> Greg S, you'll have to back up your information on
> gaming, as that is not the case. Fast internet, high
> bandwidth does not give you a better ping.

Well no way am I a network expert - but the following is absolutely true:

Playing on a certain server with 4Mb/s (up) adsl I used to get 100 - 150 m/s pings.
Using 128k adsl I get 150 - 200 pings.
Some of my colleagues who use dial-up consistently report 250 - 350 pings.

This has been noticed over a period of over several months. So if broadband Internet doesn't affect ping times, how do you explain this? I can't see how it has anything to do with hops because it's a single hop to the server, ie a direct connection.

>you can still end up with a worse ping than someone who's on 56K

That cannot possibly be right - all things being equal, broadband will beat dialup.

metla
15-12-2003, 10:34 PM
Networking isn't my strong point either,99% percent of the online gaming ive done was motocross madness2 (and i was a legend i tell ya...ha) played thru Microsofts Zone, The zone would sort everyone sitting in the lobby by ping,and you could tell the speed of there internet feed by the order they were on the list.

And there was allways a clear distiction as far as ping goes between the high speed users and the dail-ups.

stu140103
15-12-2003, 10:42 PM
> Graphic designers, web designers, people involved in
> eCommerce, online trading, film and tv industry all
> need to send large files via email or internet.

I have to agree with you their, been a website designer, I have download a few large e-mails & a few large websites website files etc...