PDA

View Full Version : RedHat Linux 7.2 on a Pentium S 133mhz, 64mb RAM

somebody
14-12-2003, 03:07 PM
Before anybody comments, I know that RH7.2 is old, I know that my Pentium S 133 is old (the reason it's sitting in the garage at the moment), but I want to give Linux a go. Please don't tell me to buy a new PC or get a newer version of Linux, as I don't want to spend any $$$.

A bit of background info - In the past 2 years, I've tried 2 distros of Linux, and 3 different versions, all of which haven't even installed successfully. Those were Redhat 6.2, Slackware (4. something), Redhat 7.2.

What I want to ask, is whether you guys think that it'll be possible to install RH7.2 on a:
Pentium S 133mhz
64mb RAM
2.1GB HDD + another 210mb HDD
14" monitor (with old PCI video card)

Would it be powerful enough to run Linux with a full GUI?

ilikelinux
14-12-2003, 04:33 PM
yeh, shure go and ty it, if it doesn't you can always go for a non gui linux....

(freaky for non geaks) (no offence)

might go a bit slow, but hey!

Dolby Digital
14-12-2003, 05:42 PM
Yep, it should install on that hardware fine. Once of my Linux boxes is running on Redhat 7.1 fine. You may have to create a boot floppy if the machine can't be configured to boot from the cd. The GUI will run in 64MB just but will be a bit slow although there are some Window Managers which require less resources so go a bit faster. It you have any problems, you know where we are...

ilikelinux
14-12-2003, 05:54 PM
sitting on pressf1 eating up the idg's bandwidth...

Chilling_Silently
14-12-2003, 08:00 PM
I will recommend Xfce for a good Window Manager :-)

somebody
15-12-2003, 08:50 AM
Thanks guys. I'll give it a go. However, the machine i'm talking about has in the past refused to install RH7.2 properly (from same CDs as i've got this time). The installation just started, hdd was partitioned, some files copied, then the entire system just froze - "corrupt file" or something. I gave the CDs to a friend to try who had the same problem on his machine, then tried it on an old one he had and it installed/worked fine.

Could this possibly be a hardware incompatiblity?

Chilling_Silently
15-12-2003, 09:03 AM
Im assuming you've tried cleaning your CD's.

Just ask Jen about her experience installing Redhat 9 ;-) It could be a dodgy CD-Rom Drive.

I think I still have a boxed set of Redhat 7.3 lying around somewhere if you want the Disc's...
Otherwise, Give Vector Linux a try. Its installer isnt the prettiest by any means, but its functional and will run nicely on your PC (With Xfce as the default WM :-)).

If you want the Redhat Disc's, I'll ship them off to you, no cost, they're not doing me any good... (Now to just go find them....).

Cheers

Chill.

somebody
15-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the offer Chill, but I think I'll survive with the 7.2. I can easily get a copy of Mandrake 9.0/9.1 off a friend, so maybe that should be my next step? I'm just worried it won't run on my 133mhz PC.

The CDs are actually with a $136 book I got out of the public library. The CDs appear to be in very very good condition (no scratches, fingerprints, oily marks etc.). The CD ROM drive reads older comercially-pressed CDs no problem, whereas it has problems with newer CDs or home-burnt CDRs.

Another option might be to run a dual-boot on another one of my PCs (Athlon Thunderbird 1.4ghz, 265mb RAM), which has a 80GB HDD partitioned into 4 NTFS partitions. My thought was since I'm not really using the last 20GB partition, that I could wipe that drive and try to install Linux on that? I want to keep windows intact, and I don't really want to lose any files.

Anyway.. I'll go haul the P133 out of the garage and give RH7.2 another go (fingers crossed that it'll work).

Dolby Digital
15-12-2003, 10:06 AM
I have come across bad cd's from magazines/books. I presume the cd's can be ok, but the Linux files are not. You will probably need to try some more cd's. How far does the install go? Maybe if you vary the install options if may not need to read the corrupt file(s).

somebody
15-12-2003, 10:27 AM
Ok.. I had a go... and the installation exited abruptly (before it started installing packages). I'm trying now, and so far so good - 22mins to go.

BTW. I don't think there's anything wrong with the files, as a friend of mine has successfully installed it on one of his PCs.

somebody
15-12-2003, 11:38 AM
YAY!!!! IT WORKED!!! IT'S INSTALLED!!!

Sorry for yelling, but i'm just very excited. It's finished installed!!

Now to have a play with Linux, and see what it's like.

Chilling_Silently
15-12-2003, 11:47 AM
IF you're running a GUI, I'd strongly advice against KDE on that PC.. even GNOME will be slow...

xfce should be on the CD, unless you wanna use twm ;-)

somebody
15-12-2003, 11:52 AM
Thanks Chill. I'm using KDE at the moment - next job will be to configure it so it can access the network/internet etc. Great learning experience for me.

somebody
15-12-2003, 12:01 PM
Ok... KDE is slow.. but tolerable. How do I install xfce?

Dolby Digital
15-12-2003, 12:12 PM
Hope you have a hardware modem :0)

Chilling_Silently
15-12-2003, 12:51 PM
Goto:
http://www.xfce.org/archive/xfce-4.0.1/rpm/rh8/

Get all the files from here and save them into a folder
Open a console and type:
su -
[enter root password now]

type:
cd /folder/you/saved/rpms/to
then type:
rpm -Uvh *.rpm

That should install Xfce 4.01 for you. Im not sure what 7.2 is like coz I only used command-line (no gui) until 8, but if you logout, there should be a "session" button somewhere, click that and choose Xfce.

Another option (this may be better) is Xfce 3.8.18
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/xfce/xfce-3.8.18-1.i386.rpm?download

Get that 1 rpm file as opposed to all the others. I _know_ this will work on RH 7.2, as opposed to using the Redhat 8 files for Xfce4.
I use Xfce 3.8.18 on a Vector Linux 4 box here at the Cybercafe and its fine :-)
See here:
http://xfce.org/en/xfce3.html

Xfce should be lightning fast compared to KDE!!!!

Hope this helps

Chill.

somebody
15-12-2003, 01:18 PM
Thanks Chill. My biggest concern is getting the LAN set up properly. So far I have:

WinXP Machine:
192.168.0.1, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Linux Machine:
192.168.0.2, Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

However, I can't seen to ping each other. I know the NIC on the WinXP machine is set up fine, as it works in a windows-windows network. The linux machine is using a NE2000 compatible network card, which is theoretically working.

somebody
15-12-2003, 01:57 PM
Ok. I've had enough of Linux now - although it seems quite good, it's not suitable for me at this stage. Time to pack the computer up and put it away until I decide to dig linux out again.

Once again thanks for all your help everyone, especially Chilling_Silently.

Graham L
15-12-2003, 02:07 PM
Before you try next time, see if you can find a 3com, SMC/WD, or Intel network card. "NE2000 compatible" is often "difficult" on anything but DOS/Netware. :D They often need to be set up with a DOS routine each boot time.

somebody
15-12-2003, 02:34 PM
Thanks Graham. Next time when I try I'll probably do it on a newer PC, and try a newer distro, which should solve some of my present worries.