PDA

View Full Version : What's my Refresh Rate & where do I find it?

Laura
13-12-2003, 08:38 PM
Started a new thread for us newbies because I don't want to hijack Taxboy4's one on monitors.
But in that Murray P asks:What's your refresh rate?"
I don't even understand that question, let alone know my machines's answer.
To me, Refresh is a button at the top of the screen. I know how to use that one.
What's the one with the rate?

Laura
13-12-2003, 08:42 PM
SNAP
I see Taxboy4 just asked the same question while I was still thinking about posting.
So which thread you wanna go for?

_mike_
13-12-2003, 08:49 PM
Right mouse click on your desktop, Properties. Click on the Settings tab, Advanced, Monitor.

This should display your current Refresh rate in Hz. The refresh rate is the number of times per second your display is updated. For standard monitors this should be set to 70Hz at a minimum, otherwise you are likely to see a flickering effect which can cause eyestrain, migranes etc.

Murray P
13-12-2003, 08:53 PM
Sorry folks. Assumptions are worse than keeping it shut, some times. Never have found it easy to say nothing :)

Right click an empty space on your desktop and choose properties. A multi tabbed box will pop up, look to the right and select the settings tab. then the advanced button then in the new box that pops up (this will vary in the number and look of the tabs depending on OS and video/graphics system/card) and choose either the adapter tab or monitor tab (depending on ? .......yeah!). The refresh rate your screen is running at will be listed in a little window within a drop down list eg, 60 Hertz, 70 Hertz, 72 Hertz and on uop depending on what your monitor can handle.

The refresh rate is how many times per second that the image on the screen is redrawn and if its too low (slow per second) you will be able to detect a slight flicker as that redrawing process takes place. Slow refresh can give you eye strain and headaches after a period of time even if you are not conciously aware aware of the flicker. Older monitors redraw or refresh every second line at each refresh, newer ones do the lot (I think the video card has to support this).

Don't have a refresh rate of less than 70 Hertz if your hardware can handle it. 72-85 is better but, I don't believe you'll get any benefit above that,

Cheers Murray P

Laura
13-12-2003, 09:27 PM
Thanks Mike & Murray P for your prompt replies & explanations.
You are Gentlemen & Scholars...
Sadly, I am either half-blind or have a strange machine.
My Settings doesn't appear to have an Advanced option & in spite of the vast assortment of things I can open to check, the word "Monitor" doesn't seem to be one of them.
(I am assuming that I should be in Control Panel or did I get that wrong?)
So guess I'd better follow the proper pattern for details...
I have Win98SE running IE6. ....My monitor is an IBM 17inch (No, not flat screen; an oldie)

Greg S
13-12-2003, 10:05 PM
No, not in Control Panel, (although you can get to it there)... make sure nothing's running on your computer, so that all you can see on your monitor is the basic/blank screen.

Now point your cursor to a blan part of the screen, and Right-Click, then follow the guidance explained above.

Laura
13-12-2003, 10:15 PM
Greg S:
When you say "nothing's running," do you mean merely no websites open & running or do I have to disable my firewall/anti-virus etc?

Laura
13-12-2003, 10:19 PM
And I never have a blank screen.
I have beautiful marble women from Tutankamen's Tomb as wallpaper (Everyone to their taste, you say)
Do they have to go as well?

Greg S
13-12-2003, 10:22 PM
"nothing running" I meant basically no programmes open on your screen. You can achieve the same by pressing the Windows key and the M key to show the desktop, clear of any programme windows. Or click the Show Desktop button in the quick-launch bar alongside the Taskbar.

Greg S
13-12-2003, 10:23 PM
Nah, that's fine... just click on anywhere that is not on a desktop icon

Laura
13-12-2003, 10:39 PM
Either we're on very different machines here or lots of buttons have been deleted from mine or I am just extra dumb.....
I have 98SE.
I don't have anything called a Windows key (that I've seen so far..unless it's a coy wee thing that hides with no name) so irrespective of refreshes I'd like to know where that is also......?

Greg S
13-12-2003, 10:58 PM
You know what the Windows logo looks like? There's a key on your keyboard, usually next to the Ctrl key (lower left of the keyboard) that has an image of the Windows logo. That's the Windows Key

Ladybug
13-12-2003, 11:37 PM
Mine is set at 60 with the other options being 75 and 85 so I should change it to 75????

Thanks bug :)

Laura
13-12-2003, 11:47 PM
Thanks Greg for your help & patience.
All has now been revealed.
I have never been told about the keyboard symbols, so have been using it purely as a typing/word processer.
(This is what comes from self-taught with no manuals)
You've shown me that it's time I learned more about the extra functions certain keys have - and what some of the usual ones can do also..
The refresh test itself will be done tomorrow.

tweak\'e
13-12-2003, 11:50 PM
yes, 75 hz would be a lot nicer than 60.

just a side note- w2k/xp systems with nvidia cards can get a bug with certain drivers where you set the refresh rate at efor example 85hz but it actually stays at 60hz. you can check by useing the monitors menu (those buttons on front on the monitor) to show the fequency. there are fix it programs advialable for those who suffer from this problem.

Greg S
14-12-2003, 12:33 AM
Keyboard shortcuts - now that's a whole new subject - maybe someone should create a FAQ for it.

Anyway, when word-processing I cannot live without a few basic ones:

Copy: Ctrl + C
Paste: Ctrl + V
Cut: Ctrl + X
Go Back: Ctrl + Z
Repeat last command: Ctrl + Y

Many Chat programmes also have a nice Send command - instead of pressing Enter or clicking Send, go Alt + S

Ladybug
14-12-2003, 08:33 AM
Thanks tweak'e, I changed it through the properties and then checked by using the monitor buttons on the front and this now says 75.

Thanks for the Bug :)

Ladybug
14-12-2003, 08:34 AM
oops - thanks from the Bug :)