PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice manual?

dumb-bell
13-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Does anyone know where I can get a maunal? I wish to teach some senior newbies who received this program with their PC's. They don't want to spend any more buying MS Office. I thought this may be the best free program.

Many thanks,
Dumb bell.

Jen C
13-12-2003, 05:27 PM
OpenOffice has a good built in help section that you can use for learning different tasks. I just took a look at the OO website, and I can't see any official separate manuals.

If you do a google search, there must be site with tips and user guides which could be helpful :)

dumb-bell
13-12-2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks very much Jen C for your prompt and very helpful advice.

Dumb bell.

Smurf
13-12-2003, 05:40 PM
You may find this site useful
http://www.nidelven-it.no/articles/introduction_to_openoffice

Jen C
13-12-2003, 05:41 PM
OK I'm back again :D

Had a bit of search around and found this page (http://www.mackmoon.com/OOoHelpOutline.html). Amongst the items listed are some guides. I just downloaded the OpenOffice.org Writer Guide (Section E - 7) which is a zipped file containing an pdf (Adobe Acrobat) file. Looks very promising - all 94 pages of it!

This may a bit too much information, but it will certainly help by having it in a printable version rather than via the inbuild help files :)

dumb-bell
13-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Thanks again Jen C, and Smurf.

Can I install OpenOffice on PCs with MS office installed without causing problems?

Bumb bell

dumb-bell
13-12-2003, 06:21 PM
Spelling error, truly. Of course I didn't mean Bumb bell. Maybe it should be Bum bell.

Dumb bell.

Jen C
13-12-2003, 06:28 PM
You can install OpenOffice along side MS Office with no problems. The only thing to watch out for is file associations. During the installation, I *think* there are options to allow OpenOffice to always open up this file type eg .doc. Just let MS Office be the default program to open up doc's with (if that is what you want).

When saving word files in OO, remember to choose from the list of file formats (under "Save as type" either .rtf (rich text format - this is readable by any word program) or Microsoft Word 97/200/XP (.doc). This way, the word documents can be opened by people who do not use OO.

dumb-bell
13-12-2003, 06:59 PM
Jen C - I do understand all the precautions you advise and appreciate your full explainations. This manual could be exactly what I need. All I may have to do is extract the basics.
There could be some old people most grateful to you - eventually.

Many thanks,
Dumb bell.