PDA

View Full Version : Monitor: Repair or replace? and where in Chch?

*Sparky*
13-12-2003, 02:56 AM
Morning all,
Last night, while playing Yahtze, my 17" Likom monitor that I bought from The PC Company 2 1/2 years ago, went poof.

There was a puff of smoke out the top and the picture squashed into the middle half of the screen and pulled in the middle like an hour glass. Then nothing.

Does popular opinion suggest taking it in for repair or would it be more economical to replace it? I can pick up another new 17" for $250 ish.

Does anyone know a good repair shop in Chch where I could get it looked at?

Thanks

Steve Askew
13-12-2003, 05:49 AM
As its a famous PC Company monitor I doubt that it would be a high quality product,My neighbours one blew the 1st day he had it. :-(
My advice would be to invest your money in a new monitor instead of throwing good money after bad.
I would say you'd be looking at about $60 just to diagnose the problem & that may not cover any repair that is required.

Steve

drcspy
13-12-2003, 06:41 AM
like most pc parts a monitor is hardly worth repairing these days just throw it out and get another .........heck a second hand one will only set you back $50 .......new .......well less than $300 definitely

Phar
13-12-2003, 08:43 AM
Why go for 17" ?

You maybe able to get a decent 19" (if you have the space) for a good price
they seem to be coming down.

My 2cents worth
Phar

kiwibeat
13-12-2003, 11:34 AM
sell it as is and get yourself a 19 or 21" 2nd hand is fine as long as it has good picture clarity and brightness