PDA

View Full Version : Why not a Xbox?

BobM
12-12-2003, 08:36 PM
It would appear that gamers spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars forever upgrading their systems to keep up with the new technologys being integrated into the latest games. Why are they not buying for a few hundred dollars a unit that is dedicated to use all the components for one thing,gaming. The latest Xbox, so I have been told, has far better graphics and FPS than the best of pc boards. They have a hard drive so it is not necessary to load the game each session, they can store music, they can have up to 4 controllers linking to 2 tvs and they are going on the net for internet gaming. Tell me the downside as I am about to change my MOB and graphics card at some considerable cost to follow the herd

mark.p
12-12-2003, 09:48 PM
An question thats been around for years. There are folk who just love to throw away their hard earned on the latest and greatest PC kit. This is fine for those of as who pic them up cheap a year later. It keeps the PC industry going fwd (well some times). Oh btw when is "XBox-Next " going to be released?

flying_green_leprachaun
12-12-2003, 10:05 PM
there will always be Console Gamers & PC gamers.

Console games are good as they can be optimized for ONE set of Hardware as you say.

PC games are good as they are infinitely flexible. & at this point top of the line PC's will kick an Xbox in the Bojangles.

if you look at the shelf life of Consoles. they typically last 5 years (as we only have a limited history with them, take these stats as you will) PC will be able to catchup & surpass them only to be rendered Obsolete by the next design iteration.

looking ahead, XBox 2 is on the horizon, & if it comes out earlier than 5 years after Xbox, it would essetially be an admission of defeat by MS this round.

PC will be accelerating their progress thru this time.

So if you own a PC to play games. Bang for buck on a Console.

otherwise, upgrade.

PS3 4evar ;-)

metla
12-12-2003, 10:18 PM
How much does a computer cost?

Lets say 2 grand, add a 200 dollar video card to that (or 300) and you have a gaming machine that blows the panties off an xbox.

And that computer is used for or is capable of a million things the xbox cant do.

Sounds good to me.

My systems are set up to be good game machines, but they probably get used for gaming less then any other thing i do with em.

And i dont know who told you the xbox has good graphics, good for a console certainly but they are horrendous compared to a pc. And as far as i know the games load off the cd not the harddrive on an xbox,infact as far as I can tell apart from storing mp3s the harddrive is useless.

Chilling_Silently
13-12-2003, 01:09 AM
Some people have absolutely NO idea do they?

Firstly, thses are the specs of the XBox according to http://xbox-linux.sf.net :
The Xbox is a legacy-free PC by Microsoft:
Intel Celeron 733 MHz CPU
nVidia GeForce 3MX
64 MB of RAM
8/10 GB hard disk
DVD drive
10/100 Ethernet

I had a 10GB HDD, but no fear, as I just told Lo, mine will be larger after Christmas (Going shopping on Boxing day when I get paid from work... ;-)).

A Celeron 733Mhz is more than sufficient for the workings of the XBox, and will comfortably allow you to run Linux on it!!
While the GeForce 3 MX is of lower par than even my GeForce 4 MX 440SE (64MB), there's a lot less going on in the system. There's no printer spooler nor tons of other things you dont need running 24/7. There's only 1 graphics card in the XBox too, so AFAIK, there's no need for the layer that DirectX provides, and games simply interface directly to the graphics card! Could be wrong on that point though.
Admittedly, its nowhere near as good as Halo running on a GeForce FX 5900., but is still more than sufficient for pleasurable fragging of the Covenant!

The 8GB HDD is MASSIVE (or 10 in my case), compared to the 32MB Memory cards that Playstation offer! I had around 100 MP3's and tons of different game-saves etc and it still showed me as having "50,000+ free blocks". That size HDD is WAY more than sufficient!!!

10/100 ethernet is more than enough considering it could get by with a 10M/bit network card coz mostly people only play games on them (Except Linux users which brings me to my next point)

Linux on the XBox (Just wait til after Christmas...!) is fast becoming a VERY popular alternative to buying a second PC for many people. Why should I fork out $800 for budget Duron 1.3Ghz PC, 40GB HDD, 128mb RAM, and Shared VIdeo RAM, when I can get a Celeron 733Mhz (Admittedly not as good as a 1.3Ghz Duron, but still), chip it and install an 80GB HDD for around $200 all-up, and I'll have a GeForce 3 MX card in there!

Aside from that, my mate has a 52" TV, and nothing is better than fragging on something like that... Imaging running a Desktop system on that!
Comparing a REAL budget system to the XBox, the Desktop pales in comparison.

Admittedly, this is not for everybody, but its still a VERY attractive option to have should people so desire!

Cheers

Chill.

metla
13-12-2003, 01:39 AM
Well,i dont think there is any doubt that the xbox is the more powerful of the consoles..........

Still no match for a pc,nether would i chose to run linux on a tv screen from a games console...

Hey,Dont i always come up with the same stuff everyiome this subject is raised?

.....................................HA

I was reading rumour the other day that the 64bit version of unreal that is in the works will boot off the cd,meaning windows and all its trappings doeant start at all,the computer and the game are all thats running.

Dont know how viable that would be but if its a true story then things are going to get very interesting.

Enjoy whatever you enjoy,unless it involves ferrets and duct tape.

Merry christmas all,You all deserve it.

peter.jonsson
13-12-2003, 01:43 AM
Xbox instead of PC;

Xbox if you like a machine, easy to use, without having to worry about virus, graphics-cards, drivers and patching the OS. Xbox is a simple console with good specs, yet more or less optimized for gaming ONLY (to most).

I myself am looking to get a Xbox, mod it and use as a media-gadget, to stream movies and music. Cheap solution for its purpose...plus the benefits of nice games, easier to play VS a friend than the PC.

PC is for Computing, Xbox for gaming :=)

Xmas is closing in, so the price for a Xbox unit oughta be rather cheap, $400?

flyer590
13-12-2003, 08:04 AM
> I was reading rumour the other day that the 64bit
> version of unreal that is in the works will boot off
> the cd,meaning windows and all its trappings doeant
> start at all,the computer and the game are all thats
> running.
>
> Dont know how viable that would be but if its a true
> story then things are going to get very interesting.

That has already been done with Gentoo Linux and the UT2003 demo - check out http://www.gentoogames.com for more info.

Peter: I saw an Xbox in an ad the other day for $300 so it is a very good time to buy one if you are thinking about it.

Chilling_Silently
13-12-2003, 09:02 AM
The Beast gaming pack from DSE looks to be quite good value :-)

Just remember that if you plan on playing anything more than CD's you've ripped to the HDD, it needs to be chipped...

45South
13-12-2003, 12:21 PM
""Xmas is closing in, so the price for a Xbox unit oughta be rather cheap, $400?""

Bought one at the Warehouse last night "Beast Package" Xbox, 1 controller, DVD Remote, 2 x Games
$338.00

Thanks to all who helped me make up my mind in my other thread.
Cheers

BobM
13-12-2003, 02:05 PM
Thanks for all the replys. As suggested I am going to use my computer for computing and wait and buy the latest X box with all the trimmings for gaming and I will still be way ahead monetary wise.