PDA

View Full Version : WinXP Pro Quick Folder/File Create List

Cavity Overdrive
12-12-2003, 11:01 AM
When Right Click on desktop, there is selection window > "New" which gives New/Shortcut and below a line - 15 common application file types.
Can the number of file/folder types be increased - somewhere I've "lost" the Compressed Folder (it's been overtaken by later installed application shortcuts).
I would really like the "Compressed Folder" Option and others as well here, and delete some of the self-installed shortcuts here.

Susan B
12-12-2003, 11:22 AM
Installing Win XP's TweakUI utility will allow you to customise the "New" menu options. You can obtain TweakUI from a PC World cover disc or from Microsoft's website.

Cavity Overdrive
12-12-2003, 11:42 AM
Thanks Susan, I got Powertoys for XP which includes TweakUI, but cannot locate where the "New Menu" list can be actually customised.
(Perhaps I'm a bit dense, but I did open all the "tree" in TweakUI, without actually finmding any setting for the "New Menu" list.

Susan B
12-12-2003, 12:52 PM
You can find it under Templates > Document Templates. You can tick and untick which ones you want to have and add and delete others as well. :-)

Cavity Overdrive
12-12-2003, 01:05 PM
Thanks, Susan, I'd actually got that far, and eliminated the ones I didn't want, but where is the "Compressed Folder" option so as can re-instal it there ?

Thanks once again

Susan B
12-12-2003, 01:49 PM
I am not sure why you do not have Compressed (zipped) folder listed in there. Maybe you are limited to a certain number? I have 13 in mine though I have allowed only half to be used.

What happens when you delete some of the ones you don't want?

If your Zip association has gone wonky there are two sites that can help with that:

A simple one (http://www.iopus.com/guides/windowszip.htm) and a registry fix (http://www.dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm) (zip folder association fix). Use the latter at your own risk.

Keep us informed as others may have more suggestions if none of these work.

Cavity Overdrive
12-12-2003, 02:33 PM
Thank you Susan,

I've deleted 4 "templates" in the "New" menu, so have spare room to insert others.

The PC has a 120GB HDD = Drive C and secondary 80 GB HDD = Drive F

It's very complex software setup, with some 40GB of applications, and don't want to crash the system, either.

I've looked thru the whole PC, and there are only 3 zipped type folders - they are "hidden folders"

These are 3 Compressed (zipped) Folders as follows:

C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\SendTo - Size 0 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\<actual user name here>\SendTo - Size 0 KB
C:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\SendTo - Size 0 KB

But when I try to create in TweakUI as a template the cryptic message comes up:
"The document cannot be used as a document template".

I've looked on your suggested sites, too.

So......there must be another way to do it.

Babe Ruth
12-12-2003, 06:39 PM
Cavity Overdrive,

SusanB emailed to have a quick look at your issue.... I guess the question I have for you is:>

"If you have installed a different compression program e.g. WINZIP then Windows will remove the Compressed (zipped) Folders option from the right-click menu choices and replace it with the newly installed compression program's icon... in this case WINZIP"

So you can either use WinXP's built-in compression option OR a 3rd party solution such as Winzip or WinRAR etc. You can't have both. In any case 3rd-party options are more preferable.

Please post back...
Cheers, Babe.

Cavity Overdrive
12-12-2003, 07:32 PM
AAAAAAA................H had a reply, but lost it at preview time.
So here it is again.
I have WinAce installed, which, probably kicked out the default XP compressed folder option.
I've tried to get a "template" from TweakUI by going to WinAce.exe....no good, however as am told it is not suitable.

So.............where do I go from here ???

Appreciate your time and help.

Babe Ruth
13-12-2003, 10:38 AM
Cavity Overdrive,

OK I have tested the following process under Windows XP PRO

First unregister the compression dll:

Click Start Menu | Run and type CMD and click OK. In the command prompt window type the following and press enter:

regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

You should receive a successful confirmation. You now wont have the compressed (zipped) folder option available...
(Click on a blank part of your desktop and press the F5 key (refresh), now check the right-click menu from that desktop)

Next to reenable Compressed (zipped) Folder support
Click Start Menu | Run and type CMD and click OK. In the command prompt window type the following and press enter:

regsvr32 %windir%\system32\zipfldr.dll

You should receive a successful confirmation. You now WILL have the compressed (zipped) folder option available...
(Again click on a blank part of your desktop and press the F5 key (refresh), now check the right-click menu from that desktop)
May need to F5 a couple of times... but it will work.

When you run your 3rd-party compression program e.g. WinZip, WinRAR, WinACE etc ... do NOT let it associate the compressed files with that program.

Personally I prefer to use my 3rd-party compression tool (in my case WinZip) which has much more flexibility but the above instructions will give you back the right-click (New) option.

Cheers, Babe.
btw you can use "regsvr32 /u %windir%\system32\cabview.dll" to disable XP's builtin cab file viewer (just for interest sake)

Cavity Overdrive
13-12-2003, 12:00 PM
Thanks Babe,
Your excellent reply has given the Option back in the "New Menu" listing.

I've copy/pasted your instructions into a text file on the PC, in case of future problems.

Kind Regard from New Zealand

Susan B
13-12-2003, 12:16 PM
That's fantastic, I knew Babe would have the answer. :-)

Thanks for the help Babe, your blood should be bottled. :x

Cavity Overdrive: you may be interested in one of my favourite little programs for storing all your notes and things: AZZ Cardfile (http://www.azzcardfile.com/). I use it everyday for that sort of thing and couldn't be without it now. Lots of other people here find it useful too. :-)

Babe Ruth
13-12-2003, 03:49 PM
Cavity Overdrive,

No problem - pleased it all worked for you, only too happy to help out :-)

Cheers, Babe.