PDA

View Full Version : Windows Update and Outlool Trouble

DebraClarke
11-12-2003, 08:41 PM
Windows 98 - how can I set up to have Critical Updates remind me automatically when available??

Outlook - click customise Outlook Today - what do I do when that no longer opens to allow any cahnges to be made??? (Part of Office 2000)

Thank you.

Deb

:)

cyberchuck
11-12-2003, 08:46 PM
There is no point worrying about WindowsUpdates for Win98 as Microsoft have ceased support for it - and therefore will not release any more updates for it. So after heading off to http://www.microsoft.com/windows98/downloads/corporate.asp and downloading everything available, that's all you can do.
The only exception(s) I can think of would be IE which it pays to update as soon as reasonably possible, maybe DirectX and Microsoft Office.

Gorela
11-12-2003, 09:44 PM
Hi Debra,

If you manually update Internet Explorer to 6.0SP1 from memory this will permit you to set up the auto update and notification utility for your 98 computer. It is a fairly substantial download so either set aside a lot of time or see if you can obtain the update from the PC World magazine CD-rom. ;)

HTH

Laura
12-12-2003, 06:41 AM
Cyberchuck

From where did you get the following info about Windows 98 quoted in your post:

1. Microsoft has already ceased support for it.

2. Microsoft will not release any more updates for it.

DebraClarke
12-12-2003, 07:07 AM
Thanks for that. Maybe I should invest in XP!!!!!!!

Meanwhile, any ideas on the Outlook trouble???

:)

cyberchuck
12-12-2003, 07:16 AM
> From where did you get the following info about Windows 98 quoted in your post:
>
> 1. Microsoft has already ceased support for it.
>
> 2. Microsoft will not release any more updates for it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycleconsumer.mspx

sam m
12-12-2003, 07:27 AM
I use office XP so my setup may be different but when I open Outlook. If I want to add any appointments for any time I click on Calendar and make my entries. If I click on Outlook Today then all I can view are the appointments/entries for today. I am not aware that if I click on Outlook Today that it is possible for any new entries to be added (I have had a play without finding any way to do it) Are you saying that when you click on Outlook Today you are actually viewing what I call "calendar" (that is you can add entries for ANY time or can you only add entries for Today?)

I have had a different problem with outlook a while back which I found frustrating and in the end I simply went to Help | Detect & Repair and followed the prompts and problem solved.

Godd luck
sam m

cyberchuck
12-12-2003, 07:28 AM
Regarding your Outlook trouble, have you installed Critical Update 831489 for IE? If so then http://support.microsoft.com/?id=820575 might be what you are looking for.

Otherwise what exactly is happening? Do you click Update Outlook Today and nothing happens or does it save but the settings don't update?
Just off the top of my head you could probably try to Repair Office:
Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Microsoft Office 2000 > Add/Remove > Repair Office

sam m
12-12-2003, 07:32 AM
Just had another play.

If I click on Outlook Today I get 3 items

Calendar

Tasks

These are links, so when I click on any of the 3 that I have highlighted then I can make entries to those specific items. (remember I am on office XP)