PDA

View Full Version : PC temp

miknz
11-12-2003, 08:09 PM
I have just been reading cold_fu5ion's post about pc temp.
What program does everyone use to measure the temp?
I have never had a program that does such things. running win 98se
Is there free ware progs avail?

Murray P
11-12-2003, 08:23 PM
You need a heat sensor probe under your cpu, although I've seen them set into a hole in the HS. You can buy the probes but they aren't that accurate, including the ones that come stock, with the board.

Most programs come with the board eg, MotherBoard Monitor and are specific to the baord or BIOS. You might get one with a driver and/or utility update for your motherboard. Try the manufacturers download/support site. There are third party ones but I don't know how good they are.

Post some deatils re you motherboard and we'll try to help.

Cheers Murray P

miknz
11-12-2003, 08:29 PM
thanks for the info.
Was just curious really, thought it might have been a matter of just installing a prog to give the temp, wont shag about getting all the mobo info is not really that important

mik

mikebartnz
11-12-2003, 08:29 PM
For one the motherboard has to support it and the temperature sensors are not very reliable. The MB maufacturer usually has a program for it so look in the driver disk.

Steve Askew
11-12-2003, 08:56 PM
I use Aida32 to check my mobo's temperature.

Cheers Steve

Mike
11-12-2003, 09:10 PM
I have an hardware temperature/fan monitor that has a LCD display on the front of my system case. It beeps if certain sensors (placed throughout the machine) reach pre-set temperatures. The only sensor I ever really have beep on me is the one on the hard drive... I adjusted the setting so it doesn't beep until it gets hotter now :p

Mike.

tweak\'e
11-12-2003, 09:23 PM
theres a few around, MBM (motherboard monitor) and hardware monitor are 2 examples.

miknz
12-12-2003, 12:22 PM
ok so i installed mbm and am in the process of setting it up. How the hell do i find out what sort of processor i have? have gone through the device manager and it makes no sense to me!!

running win98se
hp pavilion 6320
about 5 years old

have tried looking through hp website under pavilion 6320 but cant find any reference to the mobo.

Susan B
12-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Aida32 will tell you everything about your system except the colour of your case.

Though I believe that Jen C has managed to find a version that tells her even that. :p :D

somebody
12-12-2003, 12:29 PM
I'd say use AIDA32. It'll be able to tell you your CPU, motherboard model etc. as well as tell you the temperature of your CPU and what speed the fan is going at etc.

http://www.aida32.hu

*Sparky*
13-12-2003, 02:10 AM
I agree that Aida32 is good, but for a program that displays temp on your taskbar, I have used CPU Cool for years. Also is supposed to help cool your CPU temp.

mikebartnz
13-12-2003, 12:20 PM
>Also is supposed to help cool your CPU temp
Am very interested in how software can do that.

whetu
13-12-2003, 12:32 PM
>Also is supposed to help cool your CPU temp
>>Am very interested in how software can do that.

In NT and *nix OS's, there are CPU Idle and Disconnect commands. AFAIK under *nix they're enabled by default, under NT/2k/xp you have to enable them manually. What they do is basically force the CPU to take a break and put it's feet up. At best you can get a temperature decrease of 10-15c while idle, you'll get little to no difference if you are like me and have your CPU fully loaded 24/7

godfather
13-12-2003, 12:34 PM
> >Also is supposed to help cool your CPU temp
> Am very interested in how software can do that.

It does it by reducing the performance of the CPU, so it doesnt run as hot. Many times you don't need full performance, so it throttles back.

tweak\'e
13-12-2003, 01:00 PM
just to add win9x/me dosn't have cpu idle at all so a cooling program can make a bit of a difference. as whetu said its ussually 10 degrees or so and only at idle. there is all another idle loop or pci disconnect which can force it to run cooler but it also means some performance drop.