PDA

View Full Version : Fun little trick

Barnabas
11-12-2003, 12:45 PM
For anyone who cares to know I just figured out how to shut down another computer over a LAN using WinXP.
Right click my computer, choose manage, click on actions/connect to another computer. Then enter the name of the computer you want to connect to. When it is displayed right click on it and choose properties. Click on the advanced tab and then the startup and recovery settings. Press the shutdown button and then choose weather to log off, restart or shutdown the computer. You can even force it to close any open programs.
All this is done without the other person noticing a thing but it won't work if they have a personal firewall installed.
Fun aye ;-) .....now whats the name of my bosses' computer?

B.

somebody
11-12-2003, 12:51 PM
Something tells me your boss might hand you the pink slip if you try it on him/her.:D

mejobloggs
11-12-2003, 01:18 PM
hehehee. I could have some fun with this.

stu140103
11-12-2003, 01:27 PM
> hehehee. I could have some fun with this.

:D :D

Winston001
11-12-2003, 01:32 PM
[b]Barnabas - I want a word with you. Bring your jacket.

The Boss

Barnabas
11-12-2003, 01:39 PM
No I don't know what could possibly be wrong with your computer...probably a virus. Its best that you give me your fast new laptop thats not working and, being the great guy that I am, Ill give you my old one.
Whats that, a payrise you say? Welllll......only if you insist.
B. :-)

somebody
11-12-2003, 01:43 PM
-bucket of cold water-

Wake up - you're dreaming Barnabas :D

Chilling_Silently
11-12-2003, 02:04 PM
Ive fooled my employer into thinking she had the Blaster Virus again.

Click Start
-Run
type in:
cmd
now type:
shutdown --help
or:
shutdown /?
Should tell you some extra options on how to shutdown PC's over a LAN. Im running Linux so I cant tell you what it is exactly, but you can do something like:
shutdown -h \\computername -t 60

Have fun :D

Chill.

Barnabas
11-12-2003, 02:28 PM
Some things really are tempting. I wonder if theres an option to shutdown an ip range as opposed to just one computer.....

B goes looking for trouble :-)

somebody
11-12-2003, 02:31 PM
now let's hope that you can't use this function over the internet

Winston001
11-12-2003, 02:37 PM
Speaking of which - I know another little trick courtesy of our own Stu.
Try and find the second-ever post on PF1.

I bet you can't.

Susan B
11-12-2003, 02:41 PM
Damn, I was looking forward to playing with that but there's something wrong with my network (again.... I must learn not to fiddle). All I get after typing in the other computer's name is "Computer \\Name cannot be managed. This computer name is invalid."

Have checked and re-checked just in case but nothing works. Can't connect to it in Network Connections either, but can map to its drives. Back to the drawing board again. :-(

b1naryb0y
11-12-2003, 02:50 PM
I must be doing something right when it comes to security, because all I get is "Access Denied" ;)

I would be very concerned if someone was able to manage my PC that easily.

Chilling_Silently
11-12-2003, 03:08 PM
> B goes looking for trouble :-)

:D

Now now, be good... ;-)

I was an Administrator when I tried this. Does somebody want to try it with a User account?

Barnabas
11-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Cant seem to find the second post on PF1. Am getting some interesting results by puttin sql statements into the search box though.
B.

fergie
11-12-2003, 03:31 PM
I tried it on my home network - and I have to know the users login details (name, and password)

Barnabas
11-12-2003, 03:59 PM
That makes sense, I guess you should need local admin rights to get into the machine, otherwise its a pretty big security hole.
Still quite interesting though.

aroc
11-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Hey thanks barnabas. Seriously I had been looking for that function for a long time and it has always eluded me till now. Will be having some fun next year ;)

By the way here is a fun little trick for you internet explorer users. Click here (http://lets.see.how.long.i.can.make.this.url.before.it.st ops.working.qwerty.asdf.plz.kthx.****.die.motherfu cker.you.can.make.it.way.longer.than.that.prolly.l onger.than.this.too.but.i.cant.be.bothered.to.writ e.much.more.cause.im.bored.k-thx.com/). Won't work in opera or firebird so for the special effects please use IE.

Now after that it should be apparent why you should never use internet explorer again.

mark.p
11-12-2003, 05:09 PM
> By the way here is a fun little trick for you
> internet explorer users.
> Click here (http://lets.see.how.long.i.can.make.this.url.befo
> e.it.stops.working.qwerty.asdf.plz.kthx.****.die.m othe
> ****er.you.can.make.it.way.longer.than.that.prolly .lon
> er.than.this.too.but.i.cant.be.bothered.to.write.m uch.
> ore.cause.im.bored.k-thx.com/). Won't
> work in opera or firebird so for the special effects
> please use IE.
>
> Now after that it should be apparent why you should
> never use internet explorer again.
>

What was ment to happen? Zilch occured on this ol beast with IE 6.
Interesting though, Firebird is a LOT quicker at cruising the web and rendering pages than IE :).

Murray P
11-12-2003, 05:19 PM
I suspect if it works, the target PC's on the lan have some services running that prudent people would have turned off by now unless they really really need them.

Cheers Murray P

agent
11-12-2003, 05:26 PM
Has it really taken people this long to figure out that you can connect to other computer using Computer Management?

All the same, however, I would have thought you would at least need the administrator password for the remote computer, or else be the domain administrator for the domain both PCs are on.

somebody
If the intended thing was to crash the system, that's what happened (didn't try it in Mozilla, but it happened in IE6)

Murray P
Funny? works in markp's posted link but not the original, IE6 sp1. You're right mark, it is a slug :(. I'd forgoten what it was like.

Cheers Murray P

Jester
11-12-2003, 05:32 PM
just opened up a picture for me ... ****

Nothing sinister, is that what was meant to happen?

J

Murray P
11-12-2003, 06:17 PM
The page cannot be displayed
The page you are looking for might have been removed or had its name changed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the lets.see.how.long.i.can.make.this.url.befobr%20e.i t.stops.working.qwerty.
asdf.plz.kthx.****.die.mothebr%20****er.you.can.ma ke.it.way.longer.than
.that.prolly.lonbr%20er.than.this.too.but.i.cant.b e.bothered.to.write.much
.br%20ore.cause.im.bored.k-thx.com home page,
and then look for links to the information you want.

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

If you still cannot open the page, click the Internet Explorer
Search button to look for similar sites.

Internet Explorer

Thats what I got in the second link in markp's post which was a quote of aroc's. Interpretaion please, anyone!

Just got a DNS error in aroc's No pretty pictures anywhere. Mind you graphics can be nasty little blighters in a web page.

Cheers Murray P

mark.p
11-12-2003, 06:28 PM
> If the intended thing was to crash the system, that's
> what happened (didn't try it in Mozilla, but it
> happened in IE6)

Using XP? Win98 just kept on cruising on........................

cyberchuck
11-12-2003, 07:02 PM
It's not your network Susan, you'll find it's because you're trying to connect to Win98 which doesn't support remote management because the feature is only available on Win2k/XP line... I don't think WinNT has this ability.
I suppose it gives you a reason to upgrade it to 2000 or XP though ;)

Chilling_Silently
11-12-2003, 07:25 PM
> :(. I'd forgoten what it was like.

Isnt ignorange bliss... ;-)

Cyberchuck>
AFAIK, NT4 should work with that too, heaven forbid somebody dare still use it ;-) :p

-=JM=-
12-12-2003, 01:13 AM
Nothing wrong with NT4.

Anyway, I've used the remote shutdown before to kill the teachers crapp classic music they had playing, was a power-user account at the time.

Laura
12-12-2003, 02:57 AM
This has been a fun page - and I don't want to be a wet blanket.

I remember that I did read PF1 before I joined & posted - thus becaming someone whose problems (& perhaps attitudes) others could assess.

But after joining, it's easy to forget that the Press F1 pages are there to be read by everyone on the Net, member or not.

And that's why I am troubled by this thread. No, it doesn't affect me. I am not on a network & I have security.

Stuffing up the computer of one of your mates for a while can be a joke until you say what you've done. But what about the school kid who reads it here & stuffs up the school's network? Not so easy to confess & fix it later.....
OK so I'm stuffy on this (and without any connection to kids & schools) but as they say: this is my 5 cents worth.

Chilling_Silently
12-12-2003, 03:29 AM
The thing is you need an account of some administrative quality to be able to perform this.

If a school admin is dumb enough to give a user admin/power-user access to the network, then so be it on his/her own head IMHO!

Laura
12-12-2003, 04:03 AM
Thanks Chilling Silently (No, not Chill ...see another post) for your explanation.

Neil McC
12-12-2003, 08:32 AM
So that's a slug,Murray?Using Opera I clicked on that link and this thing went DEAD,and rebooted! But what exactly is a slug?
:_|

Chilling_Silently
12-12-2003, 08:32 AM
> Thanks Chilling Silently (No, not Chill ...see
> another post) for your explanation.

Errr.... Did I miss something???

?:|?:|?:|

Chilling_Silently
12-12-2003, 08:40 AM
> But what
> exactly is a slug?
> :_|

Any of various small, snaillike, chiefly terrestrial gastropod mollusks of the genus Limax and related genera, having a slow-moving elongated body with no shell or only a flat rudimentary shell on or under the skin.
The smooth soft larva of certain insects, such as the sawfly.
A slimy mass of aggregated amoeboid cells from which the sporophore of a cellular slime mold develops.
Informal. A sluggard.

See here for other definitions (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=slug)

;\

somebody
12-12-2003, 08:43 AM
XP Home

Murray P
12-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Slug A very apt description of IE. Slow and leaves a trail every where it goes, soft and vulnerable.

Slugged What happens to your system if you use IE:

a) Unpatched.

b) Without appropriate firewall and antivirus programs.

c) Left with the default security and advanced settings.

See computer maintenance FAQ's

Cheers Murray P

bk T
12-12-2003, 10:28 AM
> ... right click on it and choose properties.
> ...
> ... but it won't work if they have a personal
> firewall installed.
>

I could connect to the other computer but when I click properties, Error message says: Win32: Access denied

I have shut down my Zone Alarm but still unable to go further.

-=JM=-
12-12-2003, 10:41 AM
> The thing is you need an account of some
> administrative quality to be able to perform this.
>
> If a school admin is dumb enough to give a user
> admin/power-user access to the network, then so be it
> on his/her own head IMHO!

We were power users. Why would they give us that much power on the network? Because they could trust us. They knew we didn't want to screw around with things much.

There were only 28 students though. That might make a difference.

Growly
12-12-2003, 10:47 AM
uh thats all great guys, but when you are the only one running xp, its home, and every other comp is win 95, except for one which is win server 2003 - but is on an entirely new domain, its kinda hard.....

aroc
14-12-2003, 05:18 AM
So who was running XP and IE clicked on the link provided? It should have crashed your computer nicely. I think it was to do with the url being so long it causes and overflow in the memory or something.

Anyway future tricks, assign it to a keyboard shortcut or one of the multimedia buttons on the keyboard. Then push it and it will instantly crash the computer.. I like it. Best way to get your annoying brothers etc off the computer..

somebody
14-12-2003, 08:49 AM
Interesting... I thought the "Reset" button would be quicker.

Jester
14-12-2003, 11:24 AM
> So who was running XP and IE clicked on the link
> provided? It should have crashed your computer
> nicely. I think it was to do with the url being so
> long it causes and overflow in the memory or
> something.
>
> Anyway future tricks, assign it to a keyboard
> shortcut or one of the multimedia buttons on the
> keyboard. Then push it and it will instantly crash
> the computer.. I like it. Best way to get your
> annoying brothers etc off the computer..

Clicking the link didn't crash my pc, it loaded a picture of an old
fashioned tea cannister pouring a cup of tea ... I was wondering
what the fuss is all about, until MY COMPUTER MADE ME A CUP OF
TEA!!! :O

aroc
15-12-2003, 03:52 AM
lmao. what are you on about jester?

aroc
15-12-2003, 04:04 AM
and pff reset button...this is much more fun. Like get on of those programs where you can re-map the keyboard...so your brother is playing his favourite game and pushes the button and bamm computer shutdown...pretty soon he will not want to use your computer!!

Jester
15-12-2003, 01:27 PM
> lmao. what are you on about jester?

Well, after this post,

> By the way here is a fun little trick for you
> internet explorer users.
> Click here. Won't
> work in opera or firebird so for the special effects
> please use IE.
>
> Now after that it should be apparent why you should
> never use internet explorer again.
>

I duly clicked the link, using XP and IE

This appeared (http://www.splatty.orcon.net.nz/screenshot.jpg) ... then a cup of tea appeared in the CD Tray .. honest ! ;)

J

Susan B
15-12-2003, 05:37 PM
> then a cup of tea appeared in the CD Tray .. honest !

Now that is just what I am after. :-)

Megaman
01-01-2004, 03:52 PM
http://lets.see.how.long.i.can.make.this.url.befobr%20e.i t.stops.working.qwerty.
as df.plz.kthx.****.die.mothebr%20****er.you.can.make .it.way.longer.than
.that.p rolly.lonbr%20er.than.this.too.but.i.cant.be.bothe red.to.write.much
.br%20ore .cause.im.bored.k-thx.com

Big John
01-01-2004, 03:57 PM
The trick only works if the PC in question has remote access turned on. I turned mine off the second I booted it up for the first time and it wont work even if you were god.