PDA

View Full Version : Paypal Visa problem

gerrypics
11-12-2003, 12:05 AM
I went to make a small donation today to spybot using my visa card through paypal and received a message saying I should contact my card issuer as they had stopped payment. I contacted Westpac and was told my card had been "binned" due to some sort of security issue paying into some countries and it would be replaced in a few days. No real harm done, but if I was travelling it would have been a real inconvenience. They gave me an 0800 number for visa which I rang. Visa acknowledged there was a problem and apologized but would not give me any details and referred me back to Westpac. I wonder if this has any connection to the mimail/paypal virus.

Allblack
12-12-2003, 01:03 PM
Interesting.....I've worked for a NZ credit card company for 21 years and haven't heard of that before.....

Was the card blocked due to suspected fraud??

gerrypics
12-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Yes it appears that way. Appears it has nothing to do with mimail

Quote from another enquiry I made:

"Some countries that have issued Visa cards have not updated their cards to the latest antifraud measures where a secret code number printed on the card for online use has to be disclosed. This was brought in earlier this year in Europe & the US and most sites will not acept credit cards without that number.

Once a site has rejected the card because of missing number or incorrect number automatically the anti fraud measures come into play and most issuers stop the card in case it was stolen"

Allblack
12-12-2003, 04:46 PM
A "secret" code number printed on the card????

Hmmmm.....sounds like the merchant has their wires crossed.

gerrypics
12-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Quite possibly, I don't know.

godfather
12-12-2003, 06:01 PM
The "secret code" has been used by American Express for many years.
My Visa now has one, so does my Diners card.

Its simply a 3 digit number that is not "embossed" and does not show up when electronically read (as far as I know).

Its printed on the card, and can easily be seen as an additional 3 numbers to those embossed, at the end of the "string".

Big John
12-12-2003, 08:48 PM
> A "secret" code number printed on the card????
>
> Hmmmm.....sounds like the merchant has their wires
> crossed.

Nope, It is a 3 digit number printed on the visa card. Not in the magnetic strip so cant be read. It has been on my BNZ visa for at least the last 2 years and I know of at least two sites that use it. Can't remember them off the top of my head but I had to enter the details.

Allblack
12-12-2003, 08:51 PM
It's called a CVV, or Card Verification Value.

Suffice to say I'm not going to go into too many more details, but there's also one called a PVV, Pin Verification Value.

All part of the process to combat credit card fraud. Problem arises when it's mis-used by people and retailers.....

Bit of useless information for the night.

gerrypics
12-12-2003, 10:07 PM
Allblack, what do you mean "mis-used by people "