PDA

View Full Version : signing a pda

sam m
10-12-2003, 08:13 AM
hi,
I am about to buy a pda but I am struggling to find anyone that can supply me with a unit that will suit my needs. I am sure that the top end units I have been looking at can provide something but yet to find a salesperson that can demonstrate this for me.
What I am wanting is a pda that will receive a pdf file via computer or email, then I can display and then have the customer sign it and then I can email it back. Emailing back does not necessarily have to be via the pda, I can upload it to PC and send from there. It does not have to be a pdf file but something similar will be ok.
I am thinking that the system used by the large courier companies would be what I am wanting, does anyone have any ideas what sort of pda software I would need.
I have my heart set on the Palm T3 at this point because of the size of screen. At the moment I carry a big folder which I get customers to sign an A4 size jobsheet then I either fax or scan/email back to office.

I guess what I am asking for is what sort of software will I need on a pda that will allow a customer to sign and then can be uploaded/printed/emailed back to office.

tks
sam m

Murray P
10-12-2003, 08:27 AM
> then have the customer sign it and then I can email
> it back. Emailing back does not necessarily have to
> be via the pda, I can upload it to PC and send from
> there. It does not have to be a pdf file but
> something similar will be ok.

I would be wary that this kind of order/contract is inforcable. If I want a paper trail for goods sent and/or received, a signed paper is necessary not in electronic form.

> I guess what I am asking for is what sort of software
> will I need on a pda that will allow a customer to
> sign and then can be uploaded/printed/emailed back to
> office.

OCR at a guess (don't use one), I imagine most of them will have some type of OCR (Optical Character Recognition) especially if it comes with a writing stylis.

Cheers Murray P

godfather
10-12-2003, 08:37 AM
I am fairly certain the "signature" is captured as a graphic.

OCR wouldn't have any relevance as trying to convert a scrawl to alpha would be both a waste and defeat the purpose.

My Toshiba running Windows 2002 will capture doodles on the screen as graphics, or try and convert them to text. It's built in as part of the Notes function, but would need a custom program to utilise that in the manner you require.

Graham L
10-12-2003, 11:38 AM
Palm OS can capture the signature ... there are lots of programmes whicjh will do that. I've seen a PDA reader (needs the PDF file processed elesewher, but that's not a problem). Unfortunately, the whole thing you want is an "application". You can run Java (and Basic and Pascal and ...) on a Palm so could write one. :D