PDA

View Full Version : A curly problem

jimjam
09-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Running XP and IE6 and am unable to log on to my Westpac account, can access the Home page but when I try to log on to my account the browser shuts down. Have no problem on any other HTTPS sites, just this one. Westpac help desk not much help other than suggesting running my anti virus or Spyware progranms which I had already done, (EZTrust, Ad-aware, Spywareblaster and Spybot-Search & Destroy all came up clean). Am at my wits end, any suggestions or advice appreciated, TIA.

Pheonix
09-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Try cleaning out your internet cache, and also, check your date and time are correct on your PC.

Peter H
09-12-2003, 06:36 PM
Has it ever worked OK?
Bye

Chilling_Silently
09-12-2003, 07:40 PM
Im assuming Hotmail doesnt work either?

Try disable Noton Internet Security or a smilar app if you have it (Removing it works best).

Worked for me..!

Laura
09-12-2003, 07:56 PM
I'm with Peter K.
Has this ever worked, or does it relate to a new system/password you have chosen?

jimjam
09-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Worked fine up until Thursday, next time I tried to log on was Sunday and the problem manifested itself, have not changed the password (in any case a wrong password window would pop up) or as far as I know done anything else to cause it to shut the browser down. As I said before I can get the Westpac home page 0K but when I try to log on to the HTTPS site it shuts IE down, the baffling thing is I can access any other HTTPS site except the one I want, still hoping someone out there will have the answer.

brewer
09-12-2003, 09:23 PM
If you have changed anything on the account it may cause problems, particularly if a new legal structure was created. Otherwise look at your firewall settings. The firewall may need to be disabled to re-establish your relationship with your bottomless pit.

Laura
09-12-2003, 09:29 PM
Here's a simple Over-the=Top.
Have you considered registering as a new user with a new password?
Your account details should be the same & it would save a lot of trouble - especially if you want to do some actual banking in a hurry.
(That wouldn't satisfy your curiosity about what went wrong, of course)

Laura
09-12-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi Jimjam
My second thoughts are that none of us has answered your problem, so let's look at what's been established - and hope for advice from the more knowledgeable than me.
So what do we know?
1. A banking site you could previously access is suddenly not only inaccessible, but crashes your browser. You did not change anything relevant in the interim.
2. You have run the obvious virus/spy checkers (Did we think Trojan so far?)
3 You say you can access other HTTPS sites. (Are any of those other banking sites - to give a comparison?)
Anything I've got wrong here, Jimjam?
Otherwise, let the experts comment....

Jim B
09-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Why don't you try using another computer such as work or a friend's and this will isolate if the problem is with your Westpac account or a problem with your IE

Blue Druid
10-12-2003, 10:57 AM
You are not alone with this problem. I discovered that I am having it too on both PC (W2K) and Laptop (XP).

After entering the customer ID and password and clicking 'log-on' the site hangs for a moment before the error message coming up "Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and will have to close."

I have uninstalled the latest update and run IE repair but with no improvement.

I am maintaining a dialogue with Westpac but no resolution to date.

Blue Druid
10-12-2003, 11:00 AM
I meant to add that both machines are running IE6

Barnabas
10-12-2003, 11:16 AM
I would try emptying out all my internet history, cookies, offline files, clear ssl state, and deleting autocomplete entries and passwords.
See if that helps at all. They can all be found on different tabs under Tools/options.

B.

jimjam
10-12-2003, 12:03 PM
Have tried all the suggestions offered but without success, can access other HTTPS sites including an account I have with another bank, will have to see if Westpac can come up with a solution.