PDA

View Full Version : Computer Troubles

matts
09-12-2003, 02:03 AM
Hello there,

My computer randomly restarts on me. I've somewhat narrowed it down to when I'm transferring data to and from the harddrive (ie. reading data off a CD, being connected up to a LAN and someone is copying files off me).

I bought my computer parts from Ascent and put it all together myself. I tested the memory and harddrive and everything came up A-OK. Talking to some of my friends there were suggestions of faulty cables, power supply, memory, motherboard, fans and harddrive. This is a lot to take in and I'm not all that skilled with computers.

If anyone could suggest a way I could test and find out what is causing the problems then please tell me! Taking it in to get repaired will cost me money I don't have. Hopefully I can get the faulty parts replaced if they're still on warranty. Being unemployed sucks. Anyone need a web/print designer? ;D

Btw, thanks for the excellent NZ PC mag and the extra FFWDs ;)

matts
09-12-2003, 02:22 AM
I guess it may help if you guys have my hardware specs:

Gigabyte GA-7VA
AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Kingston 333mhz 512mb DDR RAM
Seagate Barracuda 120gb
iCute case with 320 watt PSU
ATI Radeon 9500

beama
09-12-2003, 06:14 AM
hi matts

Have you done all the patches for your operating system.
Are you using one of these operating systems; NT4. Windows 2000, XP Home or Pro

ilikelinux
09-12-2003, 07:14 AM
all the hardware could be asking for more power and the power supply is not able to,

this could result to a better psu that is 400W

tweak\'e
09-12-2003, 08:21 AM
have you installed motherboard drivers ans is the drives running in DMA mode ?

somebody
09-12-2003, 08:29 AM
Does anything pop up before it shuts down? If so, it could be the Blaster worm, or similar.

One thing could be the CPU overheating, so the BIOS automatically restarts the computer. I wouldn't think reading data off a CD would be CPU-intensive, but you never know. What happens if you leave your computer on for long periods of time but not do anything?

kiwibeat
09-12-2003, 08:41 AM
try reinstalling latest graphics drivers and dx8 M/Board drivers etc , if that doesnt work back up data and do a clean reinstall of O/S last resort get a different power supply or grahpics card if possible to test on the PCX .
Could be a faulty M/Board as well ? if under warranty then Ascent will replace that

godfather
09-12-2003, 08:49 AM
If running XP:

Control Panel - System - Advanced - Startup and Recovery -Settings - System Failure - untick "automatically restart"

That way, if it is a major system failure it will blue screen with (hopefully) a meaningful error message instead of restarting.