PDA

View Full Version : Looking 4 "Chao is back"&"Jen C"! LCD monitors

Cajetan
08-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Looking for "Chao is back" or "Jen C"!!!!!!!!!

Been reading your topic re Jen C purchasing a new LCD monitor I was just curious whether Jen C went for the CMV one? I have a vested interest in this because I want to get one too and am wondering if that particular model CMV CT-722D was any good. Plus I also really like the Gagabyte G Max GD-1701DLU as well but the brightness was not as high as the CMV one. So if there is anyone out there with either of these models please tell me what they r like! I only want to spend $700 tops!
Thanks..........................

Jen C
09-12-2003, 04:31 PM
Hi Cajetan

I went for the Philip LCD 170B4 model in the end. It was from a well-known manufacturer and that particular model came with a zero dead/fixed pixel policy and both analogue and DVI connectors. So I decided to play it safe :). It however costs a bit more than your $700 limit. The monitor itself is great and the only complaint I have is that getting a DVI-D (monitor connector) to DVI-I (graphic card connector) type cable involves a bit of a run around. For me a DVI-I to DVI-I cable would not fit. I have been given the name of a local supplier from Philips but haven't got around to ordering one yet.

Cheers

Jen

godfather
09-12-2003, 06:35 PM
> the only complaint I have is that getting a
> DVI-D (monitor connector) to DVI-I (graphic card
> connector) type cable involves a bit of a run around.
> For me a DVI-I to DVI-I cable would not fit.

Cant you use a DSE $20 DVI I - DVI I cable and cut the extra (analog) pins off at the monitor end so it will fit?
Remember that many cheap DVI - I cables are just DVI - D with unused pins on the plugs. It shouldn't matter even if the pins are used at the PC end, there is nothing they could connect to on the panel end.

Bit nasty that they don't use a DVI - I fitting at the monitor end, my old HP panel does.

Reference here:
http://www.datapro.net/dvi.html

Jen C
09-12-2003, 06:45 PM
> Cant you use a DSE $20 DVI I - DVI I cable and cut
> the extra (analog) pins off at the monitor end so it
> will fit?
> Remember that many cheap DVI - I cables are just DVI
> - D with unused pins on the plugs. It shouldn't
> matter even if the pins are used at the PC end, there
> is nothing they could connect to on the panel end.

:O me take snippers to the pins! I know you are a MacGyver at heart, but I probably would hold the connector upside-down and snip off the wrong pins :p. Actually, I never did think of this but since I have already returned the DVI-DVI cable for a refund I can't try it.

> Bit nasty that they don't use a DVI - I fitting at
> the monitor end, my old HP panel does.

I agree, took me by suprise as well. If the DVI-I to DVI-D cable turns out to be $$, I might try this.

Thanks for that tip GF :)

Cajetan
09-12-2003, 06:50 PM
thks jen do u mind if i asked how much it was? the phillips one? :D

godfather
09-12-2003, 06:50 PM
You really want a DVI-D to DVI-D cable, there is no such thing as a DVI-I to DVI-D in theory.

You can't have the Analog signals at one end and not at the other.
They are obviously not used by the monitor, and a DVI-D cable will fit the card.
Absolutely no point conveying the Analog signals to the monitor when there are no connections for them.

It simply plug compatability you need.

Little nail clippers would work on those 4 unwanted pins....

Jen C
09-12-2003, 06:58 PM
> thks jen do u mind if i asked how much it was? the phillips one?

I ordered my monitor from this site (http://www.zylex.co.nz/product_info.php?products_id=881). Not counting P & P you would get back 12 cents from $800 :D

They offered the best price at the time when searching for resellers. I am very pleased with the quality of the monitor. :)