PDA

View Full Version : OT - Why not text messaging for land lines ?

Misty
08-12-2003, 08:34 PM
This is not too far off topic, I guess, as it is allied.

It struck me today why do they not have text messaging for land lines ?
Maybe you can get it but I have never seen it !
The technology would be simple enough it would seem. I can think of times that it would be most convenient to send a text message to a land line. As you can leave a voicemail message why is text different ? You would need an LCD screen. Perhaps LCD technology not compatible ?

Misty

Murray P
08-12-2003, 08:43 PM
You can txt from your PC. Telecom's is call eTXT for Xtra customers (telecom No's only) and there is another one called EasiTXT from Rocom for anyone with an ISP and to any moble No.

Not quite what you were asking but I'm sure that can be done as well with the right equipment.

Cheers Murray P

Chilling_Silently
08-12-2003, 08:56 PM
That sounds like a great idea!

However, the user at the other end usually would be somebody on a cellphone, otherwise if was a landline you might as well just phone them ;-)

You can always use ICQ to txt 021 phone?

Misty
08-12-2003, 09:00 PM
Hi Chill
I was initially thinking the other way round. I have a deal where it is "free" to phone outside working hours (Vodaphone) and if it was peak time then it would be much cheaper for me to text a landline, where the recipient did not have a cellphone ( eg my mum)
Misty

Billy T
08-12-2003, 09:08 PM
> It would be much cheaper for me to text a landline,
> where the recipient did not have a cellphone ( eg my
> mum)

Am I missing something here? What can you text to on a landline that your Mum could read? I thought that only cellphones, PDAs and computers etc had display screens.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

MrBeef
08-12-2003, 09:14 PM
Vodaphone also provides a txt sending from a PC-But you have to have a vodaphone to do it.

godfather
08-12-2003, 09:46 PM
We already have TXTing to landlines.

Its called a FAX

Technically speaking, the mobile TXT type service won't work.
While mobile phones are always "on line" while powered up, in that they can communicate with the cell without outside intervention, to use that logic on a landline requires the act of picking up the phone to complete the connection.

Or a massive investment by both Telcos and consumers, who have already made the investment in the mobile service.

Limited caller ID info can be transferred now, one way, but only in the ring burst.

No doubt that better technology would allow it, using ADSL technology.

Oh wait, we have that as well. Its called Jetstream, and gosh, it delivers e-mail.

Steve Askew
08-12-2003, 09:56 PM
> You can always use ICQ to txt 021 phone?

Sorry Chill but ICQ to 021 Vodafones don't work anymore :-(

agent
08-12-2003, 09:56 PM
Off topic, but I'm sure people know the *35 function on phones in America, where it calls back the person who last called you.

Does anyone know why we don't have this useful feature on New Zealand telco networks?

godfather
08-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Because they want you to subscribe to caller ID. Then you can call back the last 30 - 40 callers

Murray P
08-12-2003, 10:08 PM
> Off topic, but I'm sure people know the *35 function
> on phones in America, where it calls back the person
> who last called you.
>
> Does anyone know why we don't have this useful
> feature on New Zealand telco networks?

They do. Dial *52 on a Saturn/Telstra line and find out the nimber of the last caller. AFAIK we didn't subscibe to this it's part of the standard features.

Cheers Murray P

Steve Askew
08-12-2003, 10:20 PM
> They do. Dial *52 on a Saturn/Telstra line and find
> out the nimber of the last caller. AFAIK we didn't
> subscibe to this it's part of the standard features.

It costs you 25cents a go too & if the person that called has their number as private you still wont know who it was.
I know this as a few weeks ago I tried to track down the sod that rang our number at 1.30am :-(

Chilling_Silently
08-12-2003, 11:33 PM
Txting to 021 doesnt work from ICQ??? How come??

agent
08-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Surprised you didn't see the two or three threads on it last week... they changed the provider they used - used to be FarEasTone, now it's something else. It no longer works for 021... :(

Chilling_Silently
09-12-2003, 12:57 AM
Does it work at all in New Zealand any more?

agent
09-12-2003, 01:05 AM
Wouldn't seem so.

I don't know if Vodafone still run a service from their website... that's an alternative for Vodafone users if so. And Telecom does the same, do they not?

DangerousDave
09-12-2003, 02:39 AM
I don't really think landline-txt would really take off, i mean e-mail is so easy anyways.

It would be possible to implement (probably quite easily and cheaply) it would just be a mini computer that recieves data and displays on a lcd, a bit like a fax.

I mean, calling someone is just so much easier than pushing buttons multiple times...
/shrug

- David

aroc
09-12-2003, 05:36 AM
With TelstraClear in Australia you can text from a payphone to any phone you like... go figure.

And in the US you can use a landline video phone to talk to anyone who has a video or normal phone and see video, text whatever you name it. We are soooo 3rd world over here.

Steve Askew
09-12-2003, 06:36 AM
> Does it work at all in New Zealand any more?

I sent ICQ-sms help an email & they replied that they can't guarantee the SMS service. :-(

You can still send sms from Vodafone site if you are a Vodafone user but it still gonna cost ya 20 per text.

Cheers Steve

ilikelinux
09-12-2003, 07:45 AM
from vodafone mobs with a sim2 can send emails, email is now the temporory asnwer.

Graham L
09-12-2003, 01:58 PM
We used to have that. And you didn't even need a telephone to recieve it. :D It was called the telegram.

Susan B
09-12-2003, 02:31 PM
> It struck me today why do they not have text messaging for land lines ?

That is not a stupid idea and I have often wished that it was possible. Having an LCD screen to read the messages should not be a problem, some phones already have them for caller ID but whether they could be used for text messaging is something I wouldn't know.

jackyht
09-12-2003, 05:52 PM
Hi Chilling

just a note for u...
Recently ICQ has changed its sms network recently... Alot of us who use icq to send sms, it wouldn't work.. and i just try on the other day, still doesn't work... so maybe we might force to use cellphone --> cellphone for the moment then

jacky

Misty
12-03-2005, 03:58 PM
I see from NZ Herald that it is now going to happen ! Damn, meant to keep the article - think it was in last Saturday. If I get the time will go back and do a search.
Misty ;)