PDA

View Full Version : re;Finding Firebird

dumdum
08-12-2003, 03:08 PM
I have now installed Firebird (after a bit of confusion)...what I would now like help with now is with things like..
a)What homepage to use...does Firebird have its own?
b)Any help with setting things up...eg..whats what
c)Tool bar...can or should I use my Google bar or not?

I shall be back and fourth in between (playing) sorting things out.

Thanks DD

-=JM=-
08-12-2003, 03:51 PM
I have google set as home but don't have it set to load at start.

dumdum
08-12-2003, 04:17 PM
I think I will try that myself JM,sounds like a good option.
Have gone back to IE for now,took so long to get back to F1 (actually couldn`t get back )with f/bird put it on the shelf till I cool down a bit,still I liked what I saw and shall persevere with it later.F/bird took so long to get here my screensaver came on...is this normal?.....try other sites from favourites...same thing.Still I`m sure someone here will give me some tips/advice.
Cheers DD

Chilling_Silently
08-12-2003, 05:20 PM
What are your system specs?

I compiled from source, so firebird takes less than half a second to load, but it should take a max of 3-5 for most people....

No additional config's really needed. Default settings seem to work perfectly fine here :-)

With firebird you can have multiple homepages. Just open them all in seperate tabs and click Tools
-Options
then under General click "Use current pages".

If its loading up immediately for you, but is taking a while to get to websites, its likely that you have other things using your dial-up connection, such as Windows Updates, Spyware, P2P apps.
Firebird should be FASTER than IE...

Hope this helps

Chill.

tommy
08-12-2003, 05:32 PM
When you say "F/bird took so long to get here my screensaver came on" are you referring to the program starting up? Unfortunately that can happen if you have an older, slower computer. It opens very quickly on a fast machine. If you tell us the specs of your computer we can advise further.

dumdum
08-12-2003, 06:13 PM
OK guys here we go,you`ll no more about this than I.......
Intel-Celeron 2.0Ghz.....128 L2 cache
256MB RAM of DDR
40GB HDD....1.5GB for recovery
56K V92 soft modem
SiS650 32MB shared graphics
XP Home

Hope this helps,..theres always the possibility that I may not quite be understanding/doing things right.
Thanks DD

Jen C
08-12-2003, 06:19 PM
With those specs Firebird should rocket open (or at least take less than 5 seconds :p). Where are you launching Firebird from? If you have made a shortcut yourself to the desktop, try launching Firebird from the installed directory under C:\Program Files\MozillaFirebird by clicking on the exe file. Does that make it any faster?

Susan B
08-12-2003, 06:22 PM
Those specs are ample and Firebird should take no longer than a couple of seconds to load on that computer. We are still in the dark as to whether it is the loading of Firebird or the loading of webpages that is slow and this information is important.

dumdum
08-12-2003, 06:49 PM
First up..thanks for the rapid replies...

ok JenC 1st...Am launching from my start menu,when I unzipped,F/Bird was put in a folder in "my documents",when opened I put an icon on the start menu.This confused me as normally progs are installed in programs section,this option was not offered in this case,my confusion started at this point.I finally got to the stage of having F/Bs toolbar etc.Tried F1 and got there,but couldn`t log in ,kept getting entry denied message,got frustrated and quit,back to IE to get back here for assistance.There was a lot of file transfering going on in the bar on the bottom of the page.

ok Susan B....It was the loading of web pages or more to the point,the trying to load web pages that was so slow.

Is there possibly something I have overlooked/not downloaded that I should have....crikies I need a coffee after all this typing.

Any help and suggestions gratefully received
Thanks DD

Jen C
08-12-2003, 06:57 PM
> ok JenC 1st...Am launching from my start menu,when I
> unzipped,F/Bird was put in a folder in "my
> documents",when opened I put an icon on the start
> menu.This confused me as normally progs are
> installed in programs section,this option was not
> offered in this case,my confusion started at this
> point.I finally got to the stage of having F/Bs
> toolbar etc.

That is OK, you can install Firebird anywhere it doesn't really matter. When you unzipped the file you could of chosen a different directory from the current (default location) one which in your case was under My Documents. Most people tend to stick programs under the program directory to keep things tidy.

I'm a bit stumped to why your browser is taking so long to load web pages though since IE loads OK, someone else might have a bright idea here.

Susan B
08-12-2003, 07:27 PM
OK, well I would be inclined to do things "properly" in case the way you have "installed" Firebird now is the reason for your problems.

Firstly ensure that the file you actually downloaded is put somewhere safe. Next delete the all the Firebird files that you put in My Documents then go to C:\Documents and Settings\Your Account\Application Data and delete the two folders Mozilla and Phoenix.

Now Create a folder within My Programs on your C: drive called MozillaFirebird and put the file that you downloaded into this folder. I am not exactly sure which file you did download so if this does not seem right use your discretion here regarding creating a folder. ;-)

When you have this set up all you need do now is create a shortcut to MozillaFirebird.exe for on your desktop or where you want it, double click the shortcut and away you go.

Hopefully you will now be set. :-)

Susan B
08-12-2003, 07:35 PM
Ah, I have just seen that you unzipped your download. In that case when it is unzipped you probably have a MozillaFirebird folder. If so, just move that folder into Program Files, create your shortcut to MozillaFirebird.exe and away you go.

Chilling_Silently
08-12-2003, 07:44 PM
I'd be inclined to suggest you download the one with the Installer for Win32 (AKA Windows, just in case...)

That'll set things up for you with shotcuts and the likes, so you can get rid of your unzipped folder in My Documents (Not the best place to keep things long-term).

After that, Could you tell us just how long its taking to open Firebird? You said it was the page load that took 5 mins, but Im just curious.

Google takes about 30 seconds to load on a 0.24 kbps connection, you're connecting at at least 40.0 on your 56.6kbps modem, so something else is using all your bandwidth.

Do you have a Virus?

Run a spyware check with Spybot Search & Destroy from spybot.info and update and run an AV Scan.

Hope this helps

Chill.

dumdum
08-12-2003, 07:55 PM
Got to thank every one for their help and patience.I now have the wind beneath my wings with FireBird
,Please take credit all those that took the time to help me out.
Thanks so much DD

P.S. It was me causing all the problems.

Jen C
08-12-2003, 08:00 PM
That is great to hear :D

Do you mind sharing with us what the cause of the problem was, it had me intrigued and might be something else to also consider when other people have similar problems :)

Jen C
08-12-2003, 08:05 PM
Heck, just realised my reply might be mis-interpreted :O

I meant that it was great news that Firebird was working for you now, not that it was because you were a bit confused :8}

dumdum
08-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Well Jen....at the end of the day it was a case of not following simple instructions and I must plead guilty to that.What actually got me back on track was the feedback received from yourself and others.I simply deleted everything except the zip file and started again and bingo,up an running.Thank you so much.
DD