PDA

View Full Version : CD Reader

macky
08-12-2003, 12:09 PM
You can tell how good I am at this can't you! New message.
Have just installed Windows 98 and now CDs won't read.
Is this a common problem? How can I fix it? Any assistance appreciated.
Thank you.

Murray P
08-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Is it returning an error message and if so what is it? Is you CD detected by the OS, ie, in My Computer. If so what are the cd's properties saying, put a cd in the drive and right click > properties, is the info correct for that cd or does it return an error.

Have you changed any hardware or have you tried installing the drivers for the cd. Go to Control Panel > System > Device manager, and look for your cd. Are there any yellow exclamation marks next to it (or anything).

Let us know how you get on. BTW what brand and model is the cd.

Cheers Murray P

kiwibeat
08-12-2003, 02:13 PM
If your cd isnt there at all, unplug it and reboot then turn off and replug it in then hopefully it will autodetct it as new hardware ,

macky
08-12-2003, 10:23 PM
There is no new hardware. In booting up there is something to the effect that the CDROM has been found. The green light on the CD drive flashes on and off. D drive does not show in "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer". If you type in D:/ in Explorer or Run/Browse then the message "D:/ is not accessible. This folder was moved or removed". The change from Win95 to Win98 went OK and everything else is working fine - just no D drive.

macky
08-12-2003, 10:27 PM
There is no D drive in the Control Panel > System > Device Manager.

Murray P
08-12-2003, 10:35 PM
Have you tried what kiwibeat suggested. Sounds like the drivers haven't been laoded properly or are corrupted or the cable could have worked loose. You might need to give it a couple of goes, try the standard windows drivers first eg, let windows find the files during the hardware wizard, if that doesn't work, if you have drivers for it on a floppy choose browse when the detect/find files option is presented and point it at you floppy (or download fresh ones.

If 98 is a fresh install go to MS and download any patches and updates. 98 is no longer actively supported by MS but the files are still available for download.

Cheers Murray P

Murray P
08-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Another thought. Is the CD shown while you Boot up ie, during post and/or when the different irq settings, HDD and ATAPI CD ROM devices, etc, flash past.

Cheers Murray P