PDA

View Full Version : phantom URL

Hugh Jarse
08-12-2003, 09:52 AM
I've come to the conclusion that I have a Phantom URL.
when I enter www.linuxmail.org my pc adds other stuff after this address and I get the 'site not in production' message and get some pop-uppy american adverts. how can I get into the system and remove this beastie??
rgds
Hugh

robsonde
08-12-2003, 09:58 AM
sounds like you have spyware or other such problems.....

look for spybot on google, download and run that, it will remove all spyware type progrmas.

mark c
08-12-2003, 10:01 AM
And then have alook at FAQ 1b and get that under your belt and you will avoid a lot of probs like that.

tommy
08-12-2003, 11:36 AM
> And then have alook at FAQ 1b and get that under your belt and you will avoid a lot of probs like that.

For this person's problem I would suggest that FAQ 8B Spyware would be more appropriate although both could be of assistance. FAQ 8B is at the bottom of the FAQ page.

mark c
08-12-2003, 04:20 PM
Yes I know what you mean but the reason I refer people to the Basic Maintenance instead is coz if they got that right ( and spyware precautions are one of the recommendations) they wouldn't get into these scrapes in the first place.

Well :D we are all less likely to.

cheers :)

tommy
08-12-2003, 05:25 PM
I see. My way of thinking was that the Maintenance FAQ was to prevent the problems occuring in the first place and the Spyware FAQ was for fixing problems that had already occured. Though the latter does have good prevention information as well.