PDA

View Full Version : I need help in transfering files from one account to another !!!!

Compwiznot
06-12-2003, 11:55 PM
hey ,

i have create a new accont for myself , the main reason is not to allow other people from reachin my files. how do u do it ?? bcoz i have some files which are showing on both accounts ( the original and the new one). i want my files on the original account to be invisible to others on the old one but visible to me on my account. i tried hiding it but the happens to my account as well .

please help !!!

Jen C
07-12-2003, 08:53 AM
You are using WinXP??

What sort of accounts did you create or already had, limited user or Admin? What sort of accounts do the other users have?

How is your drive formatted - FAT32 or NTFS?

How are you hiding these files - by using Sharing and Security?

You are only trying to hide files that exist under your user profile directory?

beama
07-12-2003, 10:52 AM
yes Jen

logon accounts that have administrator (and superuser) group membership can access and see ALL files on the pc regaurdless of who they belong to however a logon accounts that that have "limited" rights are restricted to what they can see and do on a XP system ie this group cannot see other peoples files or delete files from system areas as opposed to a administrator group membership which can.

Jen C
07-12-2003, 10:58 AM
Thanks beama, yes I know all that, but the point I was getting at does Compwiznot? Hence the grilling on the current setup. :)

mark.p
07-12-2003, 11:46 AM
I was going the ask similar questions as well Jan. But ya bet me to it ;).

Am in the process of ready a book on NT4 server (boring I know but its nice to learn new things) by Mathew Strebe. And am getting a better understanding XPs makeup/origins with it. Interesting comment about applying fixpacks/hotfixs/update- wait 3 months after the fix is release to see if there are any probs. ;)

Compwiznot
07-12-2003, 12:59 PM
well i have windows XP and i have taken and admin acount, well my other account is the default account. u know the original one. i want to make my file invisible or unaccesable in the original account and accesible on mine ( the new one). i also dunno what type of an account the original one is. !!!

mark.p
07-12-2003, 01:18 PM
still need to know you're file system-ntfs or fat32
you can apply more security options with ntfs using. Using fat32 on the hdd means files open for all local users to veiw/access.

Compwiznot
07-12-2003, 08:48 PM
well i dunno which one of those but the file can be accesed in both accounts if that helps !!!!

beama
07-12-2003, 10:53 PM
braise gently, Jen :)

Compwiznot
08-12-2003, 11:19 AM
umm guys i need some help here lol !!!

please !!

thnx !!

mark.p
08-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Use the info at this site to determine your file system- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp

mark.p
08-12-2003, 12:29 PM
Use the info at this site to determine your file system- http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp

mark.p
08-12-2003, 12:32 PM
Fat32 File systems do not support file level security has the need to know what file system is in use. To determine this use this info-http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prkb_cnc_vavr.asp

mark.p
08-12-2003, 12:53 PM
Oops sorry about the triple post................:(

Jen C
08-12-2003, 05:06 PM
To determine your file system type go into My Computer and right click on the C drive (if that is your hard disk drive) and select properties. Under the General Tab you will see File System: it will say either NTFS or FAT32.

It sounds like both your accounts are admin. This explains why you can see the files still when you look at the other accounts "hidden" files. What do the other users of the computer use to log on with? If you set up the other computer users with their own login accounts and make them "Limited" accounts you can have better control over the computer and what remains hidden (if your system is NTFS).

Compwiznot
09-12-2003, 10:55 AM
well, i checked my file system and its FAT32. the original (default) account is limted and mine is the adminstrator. but there is still no improvement.

my file system is FAT32 mentioned above ....how do i convert it to NTFS??? i tried a method which was suggested to me earlier .i had to go to START>>RUN>>type "cmd" and then type "help convert" some stuff comes after that i dunno wut todo afterwards ..please help !!!

thnx

Jen C
09-12-2003, 04:23 PM
To convert FAT32 to NTFS please read this first - MS Article (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/using/productdoc/en/default.asp?url=/WINDOWSXP/home/using/productdoc/en/choosing_between_NTFS_FAT_and_FAT32.asp). It explains the differences between the two formats and what changing them means. It also has warnings about backing up your important data first as a precaution.

Detailed instructions on how to convert from FAT32 to NTFS can be found here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/itpro/managing/convertfat.asp). Post back if you have any questions about these instructions.

You still will need to set up new limited accounts for the other computer users.

mark.p
09-12-2003, 05:28 PM
Appearently the default cluster size for ntfs(on a normal install or volume formating) is 4kb but on a fat32 to ntfs conversion its's 512 bytes.