PDA

View Full Version : I have Two external modems.

JJJJJ
06-12-2003, 05:32 AM
A few months ago I repaced my DLink external with an Ambient External.
I installed my drivers and it worked well.
The next time I booted windows XP, discovered new hardware. An Intell modem.
I clicked ignore and continued booting. But my new modem wouldn't work. As far as windows was concerned I had an Intell modem an it was going to load drivers for lt.
I told it to load them and then windows asked for the CD with them on.
The only way I could get my modem working was to reload Ambient drivers.
Every time I rebooted windows found the Intell and insisted on loading them.This removed my Ambient.
I worked out eventualy that the problem was there were two modems on Com 2. I switched the ambient to com 1 and it worked fine,
Windows loaded it's own drivers for an imaginary Intell on com 2.
According to device manager I had two modems and they were both working. No problems.
I once tried to use the Intell and after much chugging and puffing windows told me to load the CD with the intell drivers.
Last night I removed the intell modem by useing uninstall in device manager. Then I rebooted and windows found it again and reloaded it's drivers.
So windows is happy, my modem works. I need two com ports to run my modem.
Even Windows update finds updated drivers for my intell modem.
Windows update also finds updated drivers for my Nvidia graphics card. Exactly the same drivers that I have already installed. But the updated drivers are "signed". Mine are not. I'm certainly not going to download about 20 megs just to get someone's autograph.
I'll bet someone will suggest useing Linux to get rid of troubles . Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha. I can't stop laughing.

mark.p
06-12-2003, 07:09 AM
I guess thats what one gets with an OS that expects everyone that uses it to be a dummy ;(.

JJJJJ
06-12-2003, 08:27 AM
True

Dolby Digital
06-12-2003, 08:45 AM
>>I'll bet someone will suggest useing Linux to get rid of troubles . Ha-Ha-Ha-Ha. I can't stop laughing
Why would we do that when Windows is the best operating system since Babbage invented his whatever :D

Dolby Digital
06-12-2003, 08:46 AM
Oh... and I forgot to say that Windows has a lower TCO.

Jen C
06-12-2003, 09:23 AM
Rather than uninstalling the pseudo-external modem, try just disabling it in the Device Manager.

I have had a variety of modems in one of my PC's over a period of time, and there must be references to them in the registry because when I ran a third-party system information program, they are all listed even though at the time I only had one physically installed. This might be what Windows Update is doing with your XP.

JJJJJ
06-12-2003, 12:22 PM
If I disable it, it rediscovers itself next boot. I'll leave it as it is now. It's not causeing any trouble