PDA

View Full Version : Games just stopping

drmd
05-12-2003, 09:57 PM
Any thoughts where I might go next?

Flight Sim 2004 and Ghost recon both start to work fine then after about 10 - 15 mins serious playing, the picture just freezes and nothing else will happen unless I hit the panic button and turn the whole PC off.

I have tried switching Norton Internet Security (ie "Disable") - no help. I a running these on WXP prof on Compaq 1GHz deskpro with GeForce 4 MX440 card (Leadtek A180DDR) & Direct x 9a. I have downloaded the latest video drivers from nVidia. No help.

I am surprised that a brand new Microsoft game does not play on a very Microsoft system!

Any thoughts? I did not find the knowledge base v helpful other than suggesting that I have to progressively unload all other programmes! In days of old, we used to have a boot disk specially for some games which at least seemed to ensure stable running.

Many thanks.

godfather
05-12-2003, 10:14 PM
I would suspect temperature as the problem. On the CPU/GPU and or chipset.

Take the side off and let an external desk fan blow into it, see if it goes better.
At least that would eliminate it as a cause, but at 10-15 minutes in its unlikely to be a software or driver issue?

godfather
05-12-2003, 10:17 PM
As an example my 2 GHz P4 never goes above 40 degrees. Play a graphics intensive game and the CPU and GPU temperatures rocket away.

I use an external hardware temperature monitor, the motherboard ones are simply not reliable.

metla
05-12-2003, 10:23 PM
My first course of action would be to disable all programs on start up and see if the game runs.And i mean all,each and every one of them.

If the problem remains then that can be discounted from the list of probale causes.

Then i would look at heat,i would install mbm5 then download a program to stress the cpu while keeping an eye on mbm5's temperture gauge.

If it runs fine under those conditions(by that i mean the cpu running at 100% for an extended period)then i would be looking at the video card...actually by this time i would be swapping out bits of hardware with known good parts(including the psu)

Greg S
06-12-2003, 01:41 AM
I'd look at the minimum specs for the games to start with, and see if your graphics card is up to spec.

Also re-check that maybe a system resore hasn't sent your DirectX version back to an older version.

drmd
06-12-2003, 06:50 AM

What is the best way of closing all unwanted progs? Task manager? And if so, what processes are still essential?

metla
06-12-2003, 08:56 AM
start>run>type in msconfig then click ok.

Disable everything under the start-up tab.

Then under services tick the hide all microsoft services and see what other programs have installed there own,Use your own descretion here.Personally i would leave the default windows xp services running,cant say i have found disabling any of them to give any performance boost.

reboot.

A box will pop up on getting back to the desktop asking you go back and reenable what you just disabled,click no and dont bother me.

Try the game.

yang11
06-12-2003, 09:16 AM
it gets hotter every day. as we are told by intel buffs. take panel off the case, and use a desk fan to disperse the heat.

metla
06-12-2003, 09:29 AM
Alright,I dont agree with that at all,It maybe getting hotter but a few degrees increase should not create any problem,it may make an existing problem aparent but even then i have my doubts.

I lived in Aussie for a few years and during the summer the temperture was as high as 40 degrees,in my computer room it rose sometimes over 50,The temp of the computer rose along withit but the increase didnt push teh machine past the point where it would crash.

If all the fans are mounted and working as they should then the heat shouldnt be a problem,if they aern't doing there job then they need to be replaces,irrelevent of the rooms abient temperture,Opening up the case and blowing a fan into it is the worse advice ive ever heard.If theres a fault then diagnose it and repair.

kiwibeat
06-12-2003, 10:50 AM
try to get hold of as better graphics card geforce3 upwards is better and test it with that the MX series were not that great especially for the latest games or try turning down the graphics features

drmd
13-12-2003, 08:20 PM
No luck so far!

It is a GeForce 4 card (so the box says) MX 440. I have loaded DirectX 9b.

I have started with the minimum MS config settings as suggested. Still have this strange seizing up after about 10 mins of normal operation. The only thing I notice is that the large FS 2004 icon is half off the screen to the right at initial loading.

Is it possible to make a boot disk as we used to in Windows / MS-DOS days?!

Susan B
15-12-2003, 08:38 PM
> Is it possible to make a boot disk as we used to in Windows / MS-DOS days?!

No, not with Win XP as there is no DOS under the hood anymore. You can run older programs in "compatibility mode" in Win XP if they are playing up but this will not be of any use in your case because it is not an old game.

Flight Sim 2004 would be pretty greedy hardware-wise I would have thought - maybe your computer is not quite up to it?? I know it says minimum processor of 450 MHz is sufficient but MS are notorious for "recommending" very low specs. How much RAM have you got?

kiwibeat
16-12-2003, 12:13 AM
try another graphic card if possible one higher than the MX series which are worse than the geforce 3 by the way dont be fooled by the marketing as 4 cards .

Greg S
16-12-2003, 12:22 AM
Gee, it sounds like a hardware issue. Perhaps the heatsink isn't fixed properly to the cpu or the cpu fan isn't running? Maybe

It appears that maybe you're not too familiar with puters, so if you play around with the insides do check the anti-static precautions advised previously in this forum... search the FAQ's if required.