PDA

View Full Version : IP Addresses

Craig
05-12-2003, 03:30 PM
How do you find out someone elses IP? Say if I was talking to the person on Windows Messenger. I take it I would type netstat -n to display all current connections, but how would I distinguish which one is that person?

Chilling_Silently
05-12-2003, 03:35 PM
AFAIK, All the connections for MSN Protocol v9 (and previous) go through a server, so chances are it'll show the connection to that..

ICQ _can_ do it, but apparently it does something like File-transfers directly, and chats through server (by default - I know the likes of Licq can be set to directly send the chat).

-=JM=-
05-12-2003, 10:13 PM
It's quite simple really, happens in the following way:

[excerpt of Craig's MSN Conversation]

Craig: Hey dude, do you mind telling me your IP address?
Other Person: Oh yeah it's this X.X.X.X

[/excerpt of Craig's MSN Conversation]

If they're not wanting to tell you their IP address you don't need to know it ;-)

Greg S
06-12-2003, 02:48 AM
One might question why you'd want to know their IP address.

And yeah, netstat will show you the connects to a server, but won't show you the IP to a user on the other side.

aroc
06-12-2003, 04:25 AM
Initiate a file transfer with the person. Send him something supposedly funny or something (social engineering).

Look in the firewall logs and look for an entry that is about the size of the picture file, and note the time it occurred. Or do a netstat as the file is transferring.

The filesharing is done directly (Peer to peer).

cyberchuck
06-12-2003, 07:31 AM
Windows Messenger chat messages are relayed through the Microsoft MSN Servers to help give privacy to the person you're talking to - which is why 'netstat' only shows connections to *.messenger.microsoft.com. About 2 months ago Microsoft realized that File Transfers did direct transfers (eg: one person to another) therefore I could send you a piccy of my desktop and 'netstat' would display your IP Address, since then (AFAIK) Microsoft have been relaying all file transfers through their servers to help masquerade the IP Address of both parties.
I'm guessing that the same thing happens for Voice and/or Video convo's.

CyberChuck

Craig
06-12-2003, 10:37 AM
Couldn't you then do 'netstat' to find the microsoft connection, and 'tracert' to find the person on the other end of it?

Pheonix
06-12-2003, 11:18 AM
All tracert will give you is the route it took to get to the MSN server :)

Craig
06-12-2003, 11:20 AM
Surely its possible to find a remote computers IP, why does no one know how.

Susan B
06-12-2003, 02:29 PM
> Surely its possible to find a remote computers IP, why does no one know how.

Why are you so keen to find out people's IP addys? If the person you are chatting to does not want to give you their IP address then you have no business getting your hands on it.

somebody
06-12-2003, 02:49 PM
I have seen software which would do it before, but it looked too dodgy so I didn't try to install it. It was listed as an 'MSN Addon" somewhere - can't quite remember.

Graham L
06-12-2003, 03:55 PM
If a forum doesn't give you the IP address of other members it is probably because they don't want to be held responsible for the misbehaviour of those who use the Internet when they shouldn't be trusted with blunt crayons, let alone pencils.

The IP address for each member is needed for communication between the host site and the members computer. No-one else needs it. You might want that information, but that's not need.

Craig
06-12-2003, 05:25 PM
Hahaha -
> when they shouldn't be trusted with
> blunt crayons, let alone pencils.

(I'm just curious. I have a friend who apparently has my IP through commands).

Big John
06-12-2003, 05:49 PM
> Surely its possible to find a remote computers IP,
> why does no one know how.

So we don't get flooded with DOS attacks and the like of that for which we would have to pay for on our Jetstream lines.

If your friend knows yours then ask him how he got it because I doubt anyone here will tell you how to get someone elses.

Chilling_Silently
06-12-2003, 08:05 PM
There's supposedly an MS-DOS based app which you can use... Cant remember the name for the life of me.

I'll see if I can find it in my chat historys :-)

Chilling_Silently
07-12-2003, 12:32 AM
AFAIK it was called lamedos, but googl'ing a bit turns up precious little