PDA

View Full Version : HEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP!!!!!!!!

El Geeko
05-12-2003, 02:29 PM
Okay, I purchased a computer, and replaced the motherboard. I was using two 256 meg DDR ram sticks, but one wasn't working so i took it out. Now, occasionally, usually when i'm playing a game or rendering in 3ds max, the computer makes a long low pitched bleep, then a long high pitched bleep, then it repeats and shuts down!
I don't know if this is the RAM's fault or not, but it's REALLY annoying.

I need desperate help!!!!!!

godfather
05-12-2003, 02:36 PM
It sounds very much like a CPU overtemperature alarm.

Improve your CPU cooling. Check Graphics card cooling as well.

El Geeko
05-12-2003, 02:40 PM
Yeah, that's weird because i have quite a large volcano fan and plenty of cooling

Babe Ruth
05-12-2003, 02:41 PM
El Geeko,

Without knowing your M/B or BIOS you could have a look at the following page BIOS Beep Codes (http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/Motherboard/BIOSbeep.shtml)

For example if you have an Award BIOS then that beep sequence points to "Damaged or Overheating CPU".

Check for yourself any other links on that page that may help...

Cheers, Babe.

El Geeko
05-12-2003, 02:44 PM
Thanks a lot guys, i'll stick my fan speed up to max

Terry Porritt
05-12-2003, 06:01 PM
Dont forget when considering cooling that a cpu fan can only work as it should if it is getting plenty of cool outside air. the cpu temperature will go up pro-rata with the inside case air temperature. A 120mm fan in the side of the case blowing air directly onto the cpu fan is going to be as good as you'll get. Then of course you have to ensure that air can get out of the case, preferably independently of the psu fan, because if the psu is sucking in cpu fan outlet air at 50 deg, the psu will be hotter than it need be.