PDA

View Full Version : Definition of "Lifetime Warranty"

somebody
05-12-2003, 11:27 AM
Can anybody explain to me what a "Lifetime warranty" on a part means? Does it mean it's covered by a warranty for the rest of my life, or it's covered by warranty until it breaks down?

hughmac
05-12-2003, 11:35 AM
Discussed this yesterday, one idea was the lifetime of a sparrow, the other was a lifetime similar to a "life" sentence with time off for good behaviour!

Pheonix
05-12-2003, 11:41 AM
A very ambiguous term. I have also discussed and nobody seems to know. Closest we can come to is ...if it is dead, then the "lifetime" , and hence the warranty, has ended. :)

mejobloggs
05-12-2003, 11:44 AM
Yup. Same as Pheonix.

If the product dies, then it is not alive, so the warranty ends :-)

somebody
05-12-2003, 11:53 AM
Hmm... well the only time you would need to 'use' the warranty is when it does die.

b1naryb0y
05-12-2003, 11:56 AM
Manufacturers average the life of dead products and base the warranty on that figure.
Say that on average a stick of ram died within 3 years, then that would be the lifetime period for that particular product.

Babe Ruth
05-12-2003, 11:57 AM
Well here is one company's definition of this and I have seen similar definitions (along with legalese gobbledegook added) for other manufacturers and suppliers...

Lifetime Warranty - one definition
Lifetime warranty is for replacement of like items only. Lifetime warranty does not cover items out of production if {"the company"} no longer stocks them. This warranty is valid only for the original buyer but not transferable. (Lifetime is defined as the lifetime of the product on the market. Outdated technology is not covered by lifetime warranty if the item is no longer available on the common market as a new product.)

Cheers, Babe.

somebody
05-12-2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks Babe.