2. Best Games
2. Easiest games to backup
3. Durability
4. Quality & compatibility of DVD playback & supported DVD formats
5. Things to watch out for

Thanks people.

metla
05-12-2003, 12:00 AM
Well,Backups are iligal so i wont go there.

The beast package they are promoting for the xbox is good value,I nearly bought one myself and i hate consoles.

Laura
05-12-2003, 12:33 AM
I'm sure you'll get lots of replies from the gamers, but meanwhile this non-gamer (as yet, anyway) remembers that this subject has come up before.
So I suggest you do a PF1 search on both names, but one thread I found easily was "XBox or Playstation 2?" posted by draftycloud on Sept 6 & continuing the following day.
And for XBox, try "XBox...comments etc please" posted Sept 29 by Lohsing.
I know there are more, but the hour suggests I bow out & leave it to the experts.
Something to be going on with, maybe..?

Greg S
05-12-2003, 12:37 AM
Something I can't understand is why either, when PC's offer such an incredible range of quality gaming experiences

45South
05-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Thanks guys, I'll check those searches & see waht I come up with
Cheers

Chilling_Silently
05-12-2003, 12:57 AM
> Something I can't understand is why either, when PC's
> offer such an incredible range of quality gaming
> experiences

You will never know until you've played Halo on XBox (No, not PC.. XBox..!!)

;-)

Lohsing
05-12-2003, 08:12 AM
> 1. Most games

PS2.

> 2. Best Games

Define 'best' ... ? Most of the more popular games are being released across all 3 platforms now... X-Box, PC and PS2. Depends on what you like playing I guess.

> 2. Easiest games to backup

Both require DVD writers (- format). Both require you to modchip your console.

> 3. Durability

PS2 is older, X-Box released just a little newer.

> 4. Quality & compatibility of DVD playback &
> supported DVD formats

Both only support the "minus" format at this stage. DVD playback is fine in both with both consoles supporting Dolby Digital.

> 5. Things to watch out for

Depends on what you want with your console. You might find that you enjoy gaming on your PC more so than a console? I certainly prefer FPS on the PC. That said, look out for Prince of Persia - Sands of Time on X-Box. If there was a reason to buy an X-Box, that would be a big one... the graphics are simply stunning...

Saw a special at the moment, an X-Box at Bond and Bond or Hill and Stewart for $299?? It's in the Herald this morning.

Lo.

Jester
05-12-2003, 08:23 AM
> Something I can't understand is why either, when PC's
> offer such an incredible range of quality gaming
> experiences

Entertainment for more than one member of the family at the same time. Much easier to sit in front of the TV, sharing controllers, playing, eating, watching, laughing etc etc.

PC's tend to be a bit antisocial. One person at the keyboard, the others fighting over wanting a go, people tripping over themselves getting out of the chair, mice falling off the table etc etc << and that's just when my wife and I are arguing over who is going to use Word ;)

J
:D

chiefnz
05-12-2003, 12:29 PM
There are various things to consider... but as stated before PS2 does have the most games available, however I am pretty sure MS will be pushing out more and more games for the X-box.

I picked my X-box up for $200 @ DSE cos it was returned by a customer who couldn't play DVD's on it, and when he was told he had to buy the DVD remote kit he falt refused to fork out more money... well one man's loss id another man's gain... :)

I don't have many games on X-box but I have NFS-Underground and I think it's the best racer I've ever played on any platform.

Personally I would go for the X-box, has larger storage capacity cos of the built in hard drive, I wmust add also, if your kids are youngish they may have a bit of trouble with the size of the X-box controller, you can buy smaller ones but really it's not a really major factor the buttons are well positioned.

I'd say go for the X-Box, it's a good buy.

cheers
chiefnz

Craig
05-12-2003, 01:27 PM
I have had both consols and have sold them both.

The number of games released on each consol is becoming very close as most titles are now spread accross all platforms, therefore this is not an issue.

This also partially answers your second question. But it really depends on which games you like. PS2 has vice city, but Xbox has HALO and Counterstrike.

I don't think there is any likelihood that you will backup games as the require a DVD-R and modchip, as already stated.'

Duribility is a hard one to answer. The PS2 has been around slightly longer. Both machines should last for some time but I think you will find the PS3 will be the next to launch.

In terms of DVD playback, the Xbox requires a $65 DVD enabling kit (remote and sensor), where as the PS2 is DVD capable out of the box. I would tend to favour the Xbox playback quality though.

For me I got sick of the consoles. I prefered to play games of PC and found forking out $120 for the good games a bit rough, being a jobless 16 year old (Lots of good PS2 platnum games for cheap). If you have broadband or are likely to get it in the future, than Xbox live should be a consideration. The PS2 internet connectivity is far behind and likely to take some time before it is released here.

Thinking about it now, the PS2 would probably be the wiser decision with plenty of younger age focused games, and comparisonaly cheap ones too.

HTH :)

Craig
05-12-2003, 01:31 PM
Should you go for the Xbox, I'm selling Amped $20, Splintercell and strategy guide $50, MechAssault $50. :D

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
05-12-2003, 01:56 PM
&gt; Durability is a hard one to answer. The PS2 has been
&gt; around slightly longer. Both machines should last for
&gt; some time but I think you will find the PS3 will be
&gt; the next to launch.

Just a tiny tiny correction. "PS 3" will be called "PS X" :D

Brad H
05-12-2003, 02:11 PM
xbox tends to have games more suited for a older audience take a look at the beast pack it is rated r16 while ps2 have older peoples games it tends to learn towards 12 year olds whereas xbox 15+. I have a xbox and would swear by it. Bring on Xbox live

Chilling_Silently
05-12-2003, 02:31 PM
Yeah.. PSX... The PS1 was the name of the smaller released console of Playstation "one" which was named PSx, but now are both "PS1".

I thought that PS-X was being released in 2005?

Craig
05-12-2003, 02:34 PM
They started planning it as soon as the PS2 was released, as they released it is a hurry and ill equipt. Your right about the approximate release of it, and that will be before a 2nd Xbox. Thinking about it, its not much more than a year away.

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
05-12-2003, 02:37 PM
> Yeah.. PSX... The PS1 was the name of the smaller
> released console of Playstation "one" which was
> named PSx, but now are both "PS1".
>
> I thought that PS-X was being released in 2005?

Nope, December 13 in Japan :D

But it is kind of sad that they've cut features out simply so that they release it before Christmas.

Read more here (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/34317.html)

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
05-12-2003, 02:38 PM
BTW, it's this year!

Gotta wait a while before it gets to NZ though ;-)

Craig
05-12-2003, 03:17 PM
Jeez that's quick. At this rate they will end up like Sega, pumping out consoles like the hurried Saturn.

metla
05-12-2003, 03:25 PM
Bah.

The new model playstation coming out in december is a ps2 with a harddrive and media features,in no way is it a ps3 or anything else,its a ps2 with bells and whistles.

Chilling_Silently
05-12-2003, 03:32 PM
I have to agree with Metla there....!

I heard same, that XBox2 would be out first!

Lohsing
05-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Here's (http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8604) a pic of the concept PS3.

Lo.

antmannz
05-12-2003, 07:24 PM
Xbox far and away beats PS2.

The build quality is far nicer, the controllers feel more solid and the graphics are light-years ahead.

There are fewer games, but that's to be expected with the Xbox being a newer console. However, there is plenty of selection and you won't have to look to hard to find a game in a genre you like.

Put it this way .... would you prefer to buy a new Mini, or an old Mini.

hazza
05-12-2003, 07:42 PM
heres some mor3 inf0

other press f1ers thoughts on xbox and ps2 and stuff (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=30057&message=123867&q=xbox+vs+playstation#123867)

45South
05-12-2003, 09:35 PM
Thanks for all the info people
I think XBox wins for me
Also just found a wicked site for do it yourself upgrading/modding of the XBox console which will satisfy my tinkering urges.
Thanks to all

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
05-12-2003, 09:59 PM
Just hope you're aware of the latest $299 deal from all Bond&Bonds and Hill&Stewart outlets :D

Chilling_Silently
05-12-2003, 10:47 PM
I agree with the comment that it looks nice.. also agree it looks like a toaster ;-)

We shall wait and see what it really looks like, and if its any good for that matter...!

Brad H
06-12-2003, 09:12 AM
As in for moving the consoles around the house ie to other tv's the xbox is very big and bulky and in order to carry it securaly you need two hands so it is not the easiset console to move if you have multiple tvs

mark.p
06-12-2003, 11:04 AM
So one can load linux on it? Just like an Xbox.

Wilky
06-12-2003, 12:21 PM
&gt; 1. Most games
PS2, but most of them are of poor quality IMO.

&gt; 2. Best Games
Xbox without a doubt. Halo, Splinter Cell, Rallisport Challenge, Project Gotham racing, midtown madness 3, the list goes on.
&gt; 2. Easiest games to backup
If you get your Xbox modded you can install linux on it, copy games to the hard drive, etc.
&gt; 3. Durability
Xbox wins here. Just look at this: http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6084935.html
The PS2 would shatter if shot. The Xbox didn't, even though it was disabled.

&gt; 4. Quality & compatibility of DVD playback &
&gt; supported DVD formats
Xbox is multizone I believe. However, you must buy the dvd playback kit.

&gt; 5. Things to watch out for
Xbox: has big controllers that are uncomfortable for kids, get the controller-s.
PS2: Doesn't have a hard drive, only has 2 controller ports, controller sticks are too short, etc, etc, etc.

the xbox's hard-drive is an excellent addition, you can copy music to it, and if modded, you can install a bigger hard drive and copy whatever you want to it! See http://xboxhacking.co.nz

Chilling_Silently
06-12-2003, 07:16 PM
> So one can load linux on it? Just like an Xbox.

You mean Linux on XBox or PS2?

Wilky
07-12-2003, 07:38 AM
hmm, I wonder if it would be possible to get windows xp on a modded xbox.
haha, imagine trying to work windows with a controller.

haha, imagine trying to work windows

robsonde
07-12-2003, 09:24 AM
we have both Xbox and PS2 in our flat and the PS2 gets use 10 times more than the XBOX.

PS2 has more games too.

Chilling_Silently
07-12-2003, 11:15 AM
You can get Win98 AFAIK to run on it.. VMWare at least... ;-)

utopia
07-12-2003, 09:57 PM
The XBOX has much better visual quality, since it is powered by the nVIDIA GeForce3 GPU which uses Vertex and Pixel shaders to make the graphics look more natural.

If you want the similar graphics quality in games like Call of Duty and Unreal II, I'd recommend the XBOX.

metla
07-12-2003, 10:02 PM
similar graphics quality ?.....to what?...i hope your not comparing the lego graphics of the xbox to a pc?

The difference in quality is miles away.

I mentioned earlier in this thread i nearly bought an xbox,I changed my mind after spending an hour using one,Theres no way i could enjoy such terrible graphics after using a pc.

Chilling_Silently
07-12-2003, 10:38 PM
I must say that the graphics on Dungeons & Dragons : Heros are truely stunning.. Walking through the water (zoomed up close) right at the very start of the game.. its such a cool look, and the "Video" is pretty good quality too compared to the PS2!

Megaman
08-12-2003, 07:06 PM
why dont u leave it 2 santa?

:D :p