PDA

View Full Version : Video Conferencing/Web Cam

45South
04-12-2003, 11:52 PM
I have a brother who is moving from UK to Ozzie.
He wants to setup some sort of video link with his wifes parents in the UK to keep in regular touch, especially the Granparent/Grankid side of things.
He knows dialup will be next to useless so intends using broadband at both ends.
What he needs to know is, what are the best Webcams/software to buy.
Cost is not much of an issue (as long as it's not way over the top)
Anybody had much to do with it or using it suceesfully now?
Thanks

metla
04-12-2003, 11:58 PM
I do believe windows messenger has suport for video chat.

Chilling_Silently
05-12-2003, 01:01 AM
So does MSN Messenger/Yahoo.. Havent tried ICQ with it, and dunno bout Jabber (Im pretty sure it can).

Anything will do really (I bought myself a cheapo $50 webcam from DSE). Ive only known one camera not to work with MSN Messenger (Works with Yahoo fine) and that's the Chicony DC100. The DC 350 works fine in MSN and Yahoo, but the DC100 just will not work with MSN for some reason :-(

Dialup will suffice, but you'll only get one update a second ;-)

Chilling_Silently
05-12-2003, 01:01 AM
So does MSN Messenger/Yahoo.. Havent tried ICQ with it, and dunno bout Jabber (Im pretty sure it can).

Anything will do really (I bought myself a cheapo $50 webcam from DSE). Ive only known one camera not to work with MSN Messenger (Works with Yahoo fine) and that's the Chicony DC100. The DC 350 works fine in MSN and Yahoo, but the DC100 just will not work with MSN for some reason :-(

Dialup will suffice, but you'll only get one update a second ;-)

falvrez
05-12-2003, 07:05 AM
being an anti-messenger sort of guy, if it's for one-on-one videoing, I use eyeball chat http://www.eyeball.com/ for webcamming with bros in Aussie...
I find it to be excellent software, not intrusive like messenger