PDA

View Full Version : Off Topic: What improvements would you like to see be made to pressf1?

Wilky
03-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Yeah, personally, I would like to see:

1. An edit feature. What do we do with those afterthoughts? Post them separately? A bit annoying, especially when they are like, 4 words, and it clutters up the forums.

2. A private message feature. It would allow us to contact other users more easily.

And a fun one would be avatars, limited to a size like 60x60 of course, and something like 10kb. With a disable avatars feature in the settings, so you can view without all the avatars. I find avatars make it easier to identify people.

What would you like to see changed/added?

Biggles
03-12-2003, 03:31 PM
There is little chance of any changes being made in the near future. We do not have the resources as the online/It department is busy doing many other projects.

Greg S
03-12-2003, 03:37 PM
I'd like to see a couple of changes, but, mostly I'd like it to stay the same - too many forums are entirely garish, hard to read, extra slow to load due to avatars and signature images - all in all I think this is the most professional forum I've ever used, which is as it should be.

Megaman
03-12-2003, 04:10 PM
> 2. A private message feature. It would allow us to
> contact other users more easily.

if everyone put their email address in this would suffice.(no offence to anyone but the reason i keep mine hidden is that you dont no who is out there)

Megaman
03-12-2003, 04:12 PM
> if everyone put their email address in this would
> suffice.(no offence to anyone but the reason i keep
> mine hidden is that you dont no who is out there)

bruce, can moderators see my address?

stu140103
03-12-2003, 04:14 PM
Not another thread asking about improvements to Press F1..... :| :(

We have all most done this to death!

Like what Bruce said not much is going to happen to Pf1 any time soon...

stu140103
03-12-2003, 04:16 PM
> > if everyone put their email address in this would
> > suffice.(no offence to anyone but the reason i
> keep
> > mine hidden is that you dont no who is out there)
>
> bruce, can moderators see my address?

As far as I am aware I think they can....

ilikelinux
03-12-2003, 04:32 PM
>if everyone put their email address in this would suffice.(no offence to anyone but the reason i keep mine hidden is that you dont no who is out there)

One prob, you sent me an email now i know it!

everyone, megamans email is....... [edited by admin]

;-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-);-)

Susan B
03-12-2003, 04:33 PM
> > if everyone put their email address in this would
> > suffice.(no offence to anyone but the reason i
> keep
> > mine hidden is that you dont no who is out there)
>
> bruce, can moderators see my address?

Yes, of course they can! :-)

Megaman
03-12-2003, 04:37 PM
> One prob, you sent me an email now i know it!

yeah, and im hoping desprately ur not a stalker!

:p

ilikelinux
03-12-2003, 05:05 PM
>yeah, and im hoping desprately ur not a stalker!

Why would i want to do that?
I don't do that.

You didn't tell me what you wanted post anyway so.....

Chilling_Silently
03-12-2003, 05:21 PM
> You didn't tell me what you wanted post anyway
> so.....

... Better start stalking to find out then... ]:)

Biggles
03-12-2003, 05:24 PM
When you address is hidden from other users, we (mods) can see it - but only by going into the admin interface. It isn't accessible without using the admin log-in and password, so if you've chosen to hide it it is not able to be harvested by automated web agents trawling the net for addresses.

ilikelinux
03-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Chill, your email is still at .... [edited by admin]

Graham L
03-12-2003, 05:32 PM
The improvement it (and every other site needs) is to be left alone once it works. This works most of the time. Mostly pretty well.

When those running a web site have nothing useful to do, they "improve" it. This makes it slower to load. Every "improvement" comes with an enhanced feature ("bug" to those in the real world) which as well as slowing things down, crashes the whole system once a week.

]:)

Biggles
03-12-2003, 05:48 PM
I'd personally love it if we could add user editing of posts. That would be my number one addtion. Plus some way of having the FAQs available so they didn't take so long to load.

ilikelinux
03-12-2003, 05:59 PM
>I'd personally love it if we could add user editing of posts. That would be my number >one addtion. Plus some way of having the FAQs available so they didn't take so long >to load.

It might come out in the next Jive forums edition!
may be you should suggest it to them.

Chilling_Silently
03-12-2003, 06:03 PM
Bruce>
Any chance we can have my address removed.. or at least made slightly less harvestable.. So far Ive got 1 piece of spam in the last 3 months and I dont care to start....

Chilling_Silently
03-12-2003, 06:06 PM
> I'd personally love it if we could add user editing
> of posts. That would be my number one addtion. Plus
> some way of having the FAQs available so they didn't
> take so long to load.

Is PF1 still running the same OS as last christmas? I would suggest defragging... but I know that the File-System it uses doesnt need it (Unless its since been formatted with another file-system?)

Megaman
03-12-2003, 06:21 PM
> Chill, your email is still at
> [edit]
> correct?

STALKER ALERT! STALKER ALERT!

[Edited by: admin on Dec 4, 2003 9:23 AM]

ilikelinux
03-12-2003, 07:51 PM
>STALKER ALERT! STALKER ALERT!

I needed to email him about something.

agent
03-12-2003, 07:57 PM
Editing of posts is handy in some circumstances, but in other circumstances it would only allow people to hide what they had said, if it was damaging in some way or another.

robsonde
03-12-2003, 09:11 PM
fixes not features thanks :-)

no new features are needed but better speed and uptime and such like.

Chilling_Silently
03-12-2003, 11:12 PM
I personally would like an edit feature so my email address could be removed.

Ive had only 1 piece of spam to my orcon account in the last 3 months and Im not about to accept it because you cannot take the extra 10 seconds max to "poison" (as bruce so elgantly puts it) my email address so it cannot be spam harvested.

Goto google.co.nz and search
PressF1 hotmail.com
Search for NZ Pages only...
The 2nd and 3rd from the bottom show that email addys do get posted onto google....

Ilikelinux>
Just because I take longer than 15 minutes to respond to an email does not warant spamming me with 49 messages while Im away. If I choose to go out for the evening, then I should be able to do so without worrying about how many IM/Email messages I'll have to clear when I get back.

X-(

albatross
03-12-2003, 11:27 PM
Is this an official survey?

metla
03-12-2003, 11:32 PM
> I'd personally love it if we could add user editing
> of posts. That would be my number one addtion. Plus
> some way of having the FAQs available so they didn't
> take so long to load.

Is it not possible to have another section of the forum called FAQ'S and move the faq threads in there?..i see when i make a new thread that i have to choose a catagory for the thread so i presume at one time more sections were or were going to be implemented.

Megaman
06-12-2003, 10:01 AM
> [Edited by: admin on Dec 4, 2003 9:23 AM]

was this bruce or REALLY admin?

Megaman
06-12-2003, 10:07 AM
teddy_flora@hotmail.com

tedfy_flora2003@yahoo.com.au

lets see if my addresses get edited

Megaman
06-12-2003, 10:08 AM
> tedfy_flora2003@yahoo.com.au

i mean teddy_flora2003@yahoo.com.au

Martina
06-12-2003, 10:54 AM
I would like to be able to remove topic(s) which I have started if the replies get a bit "heavy"

Thanks

M...

Baldy
06-12-2003, 11:44 AM
> Not another thread asking about improvements to Press
> F1..... :| :(
>
> We have all most done this to death!
>
> Like what Bruce said not much is going to happen to
> Pf1 any time soon...

Thats your opion Stu. Personally, I think improvement is always good,

cappuccino
06-12-2003, 02:12 PM
Animated smileys!!
:D :D :D ]:) ]:) B-) B-) :p :p

Baldy
06-12-2003, 02:22 PM
> Animated smileys!!
> :D :D :D ]:) ]:) B-) B-) :p :p

Yes we will be able to moon people that flame us with those animated ones. I agree

kirrie kiwi
06-12-2003, 03:28 PM
I would like the moderator to edit the topics and get rid of the dribblers. this thred for instance has 3 pages and only a few suggestions of any note.

One I would like to see is more topics per page kk

Murray P
06-12-2003, 04:37 PM
> One I would like to see is more topics per page kk

Go to "My Settings" top left button at the top of the page and set your preferences to show, 15, 30, 50 or 100 topics per page. If you increase the number it will mean more scolling but less window opening.

Cheers Murray p

stu140103
06-12-2003, 04:40 PM
> One I would like to see is more topics per page

You can all ready do that :), have a look under "MY SETTINGS" on the Top Nav bar

Winston001
06-12-2003, 06:13 PM
Hello there Megaman, Chill, and ilikelinux. I have no idea what you guys are talking about. E-mail addresses? I thought each member chose as to whether their address was visible to other members or not.
Are our addresses actually available on Google?

And ilike - did you really send Chill 49 e-mails? Shame on you.

Martina - what constitutes "heavy" posts? Just interested in your view.

Cheers
Winston001

albatross
06-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Kirries dead right....it now seems to be some kind of race by a few or more dribblers (I put them in the same category as pop ups ) to get their name on a post first,a quick browse will show who they are,and they know who they are,yet offer nothing helpful to the postee.The members that do have some relevant helpful advice get shoved to the side,again,a quick browse will show who these are also.The saddest part of this is it stops people asking for advice,when most,like myself,joined this forum so hopefully I can learn about the different functions of my computer.Personally I just use the archives now,it`s quicker.
And a closing shot at the dribblers...most of you should certainly have a good read of what you write,for all your self professed knowledge,as far as your spelling is concerned,you are definitely in the dunce category and I would never consider getting you`s to physically fix my computer.
And to the genuine helpers at this forum,please keep up the good work,it is appreciated
Cheers.

hazza
06-12-2003, 07:49 PM
what i would like to see is a setting thing in our profile that has our computers specs so when we post sumthing about our computer and forget to put our computer specs then it would be there.

Terry Porritt
06-12-2003, 10:04 PM
The idea of user editing after a posting has been made, really does have problems, as agent said.
It's like Orwells' 1984 and the continual re-writing of history. It is difficult to unsay what has been said. I know we all make genuine mistakes, or, as I frequently do, forget to put something in, but that can always be corrected by adding to the thread, or even apologising and eating humble pie if warranted.

I dont like Martinas idea of wiping a thread just because someone said something that was a bit iffy, it's also penalising those who have made a useful contribution. Dont forget, people other than the questioner get value from these answers, I know I do.

Martina
06-12-2003, 10:14 PM
You are quite right Terry. Maybe I should just harden up a bit. As a newbie I am probably naive as to forum protocols etc. I take your point about others benefiting (as I surely did from the better replies to my thread).

Thank you

M...

Martina
06-12-2003, 10:28 PM
Winston001. I posted under the subject of "Security" and one of the responses, in my opinion, used terms which were not acceptable on any forum. Anyway, it seems that now it is me who should "lighten up" a bit and I now accept that I probably over-reacted. I leave it to you to have a look at the post and form your own opinion.

Must have been having a blonde day..

Thanks

M...

Terry Porritt
06-12-2003, 10:48 PM
Well, Martina, the forum protocolls are those posted by Bruce at the top of the page, the one repeated 2 or 3 times is to keep things nice and friendly, so I'm sure you have nothing to worry about :)

It is though very easy to say something, like a strong opinion or statement that others could take exception to because they hold an opposite view. In this weeks HTOTW, I called 'the Americans' arrogant, now obviously I dont mean all Americans, it's like 'the French' calling 'the English' perfidious, or 'the Chinese' calling westerners paper tigers and other things Ive forgotten. All races do this, but sometimes there will be a hot response from someone who takes exception, like the hot debate that was locked about the American reaction to September 11.

Another topic that has caused some ill feelings was mentioned by Albatross, that is the absolutely dreadful grammar (what's that you all say?), spelling and sentence construction of many 'younger people' on this forum.

I firmly believe that in this day and age there is no excuse for illiteracy, though one or two took strong exception when they were told that they were unintelligible.

I remember when young ~~sy~~ first came here, his English was limited to say the least, and it caused some misunderstandings with some PF1ers, but he persevered, and how, and now his English is better than many or most Kiwis of his age.

Megaman
07-12-2003, 09:01 AM
> Hello there Megaman

hello...

:D

mark c
07-12-2003, 11:31 AM
Pressf1 is fine as it is, it's the best I go to. (And I really only go to others when there's nothing happening here). I like the idea of black text on a white background. Brilliant! I can only hope such an ingenious initiative will spread around the net to other places that have dark blue on brown, green on black and god know what other crazy combinations and then there are the daft animated gifs, blazing fires and rockets and other tripe.

Pressf1 is exemplary not only for the standard of the posters and their general good humour but also for the easy to follow layout and clear black text on white.

Can't see the point in editing after posting. You got the preview right.
OK that's all. B-)

Mind you the spell check does biff out 'gifs' but hey can live with that.

whiskeytangofoxtrot
07-12-2003, 01:43 PM
> The idea of user editing after a posting has been
> made, really does have problems, as agent said.
> It's like Orwells' 1984 and the continual re-writing
> of history.

This is the only forum I have ever posted on that doesn't allow post edits...

What most forums do is allow a grace period of 2 - 3 minutes to edit your post (when you realise a spelling mistake or broken link or something)

After that grace period, if you modify the post it tags in "Last modified by *user* at xx:xx" so people can see if it's been messed around with.

My biggest gripe on this place is uneditable posts, close behind horrendously slow speed...

Winston001
07-12-2003, 01:44 PM
Yes Martina, I see what you mean. Personally I found that post offensive.
Fortunately most PF1 members are decent people. Discourtesy and obscenity are not acceptable and repeat offenders find themselves removed.
You do not need to harden up. That would simply give the green light for further abusive and insulting language. Keep to your own standards.

Cheers
Winston

whiskeytangofoxtrot
07-12-2003, 02:16 PM
As demonstrated in the above post by the smiley where no smiley should have been - editing is great.

Terry Porritt
07-12-2003, 04:18 PM
I see what you mean wtf, 2 or 3 minutes grace to say 'oops' would be ok, and then tag to indicate editing would also be ok.
I had a similar problem with smileys when I tried to paste a line containing a colon and an O so it came out :O :)

The only other non PC forum I go to doesnt allow editing either, and as some contributions are controversial, there is now way there can be a retraction except by way of a new post.

However if someone responds quickly within a grace period then editing takes place what would happen then?

Thomas
07-12-2003, 04:40 PM
>You are quite right Terry. Maybe I should just harden up a bit.

I think one can be over sensitive.

None the less I consider the fellow a bounder.

ilikelinux
07-12-2003, 05:58 PM
>And ilike - did you really send Chill 49 e-mails? Shame on you.
No Comment.

-=JM=-
07-12-2003, 08:31 PM
The forums are instantantaneous for me most of the time. On dialup.

I think the ability to tick a "don't display smilies in this post" would be of use.

Susan B
07-12-2003, 08:59 PM
> I think the ability to tick a "don't display smilies in this post" would be of use.

All you need do is press G in Opera and all the graphics disappear on the next page load. Can't get any faster than that. ;-)

hazza
07-12-2003, 09:39 PM
We need more animated smilies like the ":kill:" one in ChatF1.

And another like small section where people can have a argument or sort out each others differences and talk about other stuff rather than hijack another thread.

Or an Off Topic section.

hzz

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
07-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Ok, no offence here.. but...

I'd like to see these type of threads gone.. are they any use?... If you want somewhere to have fun, and the rest.. go to a different forum.

And instead of posting 50 odd posts to one persons problem, bringing it to the top of the list everytime... can we post 10ish posts to every problem

Some of the discussion here is just not possible. Be glad we have PF1... yes, new added features would be great, but are they essential for us to survive?

These more and more OT threads... completely non-revelent, yet people look at them first.. at least I'm sure some do. Can't you perhaps help do some research and learn for yourself too?

Some people post such random enquiries, some don't have an answer, while others are so simple even the dog would probably know it. E.G. Who builds this kind of computer... well, any one can build it if they wanted to, with the money too!

However, I must thank some of our contributors who have remained the traditional PF1 user... we truly cannot do without you, these incl. tweak 'e, etc. Too many to name!

Also, I've seen some replies that just read... have a search on Google, or the manufactures website. Off course!.. one would obviously have been there!

Enough said, are we S...T... I... L...L.... going to post here....?

No intended to cause a flame thread!

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
07-12-2003, 10:33 PM
> These more and more OT threads... completely
> non-revelent, yet people look at them first.. at
> least I'm sure some do. Can't you perhaps help do
> some research and learn for yourself too?

Bad English...

There is.. or there's

-=JM=-
07-12-2003, 10:51 PM
> > I think the ability to tick a "don't display
> smilies in this post" would be of use.
>
> All you need do is press G in Opera and all the
> graphics disappear on the next page load. Can't get
> any faster than that. ;-)

How the heck does that help Susan? I don't see how that will disable the smilies in one post I make to prevent emoticons showing in a piece of code which gains accidental smilies.

brewer
07-12-2003, 11:57 PM
Oh, sy, so stern and conservative for one so young. And what is a ''traditional PF1 user''? One person`s random is another`s smiley I think. Well done on the proof reading.

Susan B
08-12-2003, 08:30 AM
> How the heck does that help Susan? I don't see how
> that will disable the smilies in one post I make to
> prevent emoticons showing in a piece of code which
> gains accidental smilies.

Well you posted something about speeding things up in the same post as disabling smilies so I presumed you were talking about disabling them to make the page load faster hence my suggestion for disabling the graphics altogether.

Sorry I spoke. :-(

-=JM=-
08-12-2003, 10:42 AM
ah. that would explain it.

kirrie kiwi
08-12-2003, 05:21 PM
Thanks Murray for that tip now got 30 posts per page which speeds thing up.

About deleting threads I subscribe to a forum , that if a subscriber gets stroppy,his or hers posts are removed from the thread,also they are warned and if the continue are removed from the forum. It works . KK.

Murray P
08-12-2003, 06:10 PM
Your welcome. See the thread on Security for an update on possible solutions. Susan B, Goddie, Jen C, TP and Billy are banned from looking at that thread tho.

Cheers Murray P

metla
08-12-2003, 07:56 PM
> And a closing shot at the dribblers...most of you
> should certainly have a good read of what you
> write,for all your self professed knowledge,as far as
> your spelling is concerned,you are definitely in the
> dunce category and I would never consider getting
> you`s to physically fix my computer.
> And to the genuine helpers at this forum,please
> ase keep up the good work,it is appreciated
> Cheers.

If you reject advice because of spelling mistakes then your a fool,and obviously unapeciative of help given in good faith.

Still,good of you to come here and lay down your judgement on those that make f1 what it is.Nice work.

who are you again?

agent
08-12-2003, 08:10 PM
> Some people post such random enquiries

I'm glad I didn't post a thread about cleaning cat vomit off carpet then... :D

robsonde
08-12-2003, 08:16 PM
> And a closing shot at the dribblers...most of you
> should certainly have a good read of what you
> write,for all your self professed knowledge,as far as
> your spelling is concerned,you are definitely in the
> dunce category and I would never consider getting
> you`s to physically fix my computer.
> And to the genuine helpers at this forum,please
> ase keep up the good work,it is appreciated

my spelling is often quite bad........
my tech is quite good......

I do note that this person has grammer issues when he says "you`s" in his post.

I am not trying to start a flame war of any kind I am just point out that no matter how perfict we think we are we can all post rubbish some days, and this post of mine is a good example :-)

Laura
08-12-2003, 08:48 PM
Now if you'd posted the cat vomit as a question, you'd be told to look it up for yourself.
As an Answer, though - just think of the PF1 carpets you'd have helped to save!!

Though maybe cat dribbling is more relevant in this thread?....

(Cowers in fear of the wrath to come from the earnest & righteous)

Chilling_Silently
08-12-2003, 08:48 PM
> > Animated smileys!!
> > :D :D :D ]:) ]:) B-) B-) :p :p
>
> Yes we will be able to moon people that flame us with
> those animated ones. I agree
>

:D
LMAO!

And it was 49 IM's, not emails... Quite amusing to read later in the evening though :p

Bruce edited that thread at my request coz I hate having my email sitting on the web.. Call me dumb, but that's just how I feel. Hence signing up to places with a redirect address (Which redirects all email to my main account), and if I start getting spam, I'll can the re-direct and make a new one!

This thread has gone waay off topic, but personally I like the idea of a 2-3 min "grace period", but would not like to be a volunteer to code it, so I'm happy with things as they are.

If you reakon this forum is slow, you could always donate a PC to IDG Im sure.. or donate some $$ to pay for their massive bandwidth (I got through about 1-3 megs on an average day on PressF1 alone, with Ads being blocked!) :-)

Chill

Chilling_Silently
08-12-2003, 08:50 PM
> Though maybe cat dribbling is more relevant in this
> thread?....

Its my Dog that dribbles, the cat's cool!

I have a couple of sibblings who dribble too :p

Laura
08-12-2003, 08:55 PM
Sorry to get the word wrong.
I forgot Bruce is drooling, not dribling.
That could make quite a difference - in some circumstances.

stu140103
08-12-2003, 08:56 PM
> Susan B, Goddie, Jen C,
> TP and Billy are banned from looking at that thread
> tho.

Is that true or a joke??? ?:| :D ;\

]:)

Murray P
08-12-2003, 09:11 PM
> > Susan B, Goddie, Jen C,
> > TP and Billy are banned from looking at that
> thread
> > tho.
>
> Is that true or a joke??? ?:| :D ;\
>
> ]:)

Serious. Check it out.

For the others jumping on Albatross, I think his main thrust is the post padding, etc, when people seem to incessantly provide answers that are already well catered for or hardly related to the thread, in a non-OT thread. OT threads IMO are open slather as long as it's kept within the bounds of decency (or kept very subtle :D )

Cheers Murray P

agent
08-12-2003, 09:14 PM
It's both true and a joke.

Technically speaking they can access the thread, but someone said they shouldn't find out what was going on.

Murray P
08-12-2003, 09:20 PM
"Who would tuggest such a dishpicable shing X-(" 1957- Sylvester the cat when questioned on the whereabouts of Tweety Bird.

Thomas
08-12-2003, 10:59 PM
>(Cowers in fear of the wrath to come from the earnest & righteous)
Who is this righteous fellow that makes thee cower,I know earnest and he seems nice enough?

~~~~~ s y ~~~~~
08-12-2003, 11:02 PM
What the heck has this thread achieved? What's the point of it?

Chilling_Silently
08-12-2003, 11:24 PM
> What the heck has this thread achieved? What's the
> point of it?

Post Padding :D

agent
08-12-2003, 11:48 PM
Oh, isn't that clever! How devious of us... :D

Thomas
08-12-2003, 11:53 PM
OK. I've been thinking for a while now, and I can't quite figure out the point to it all. I mean, Why? Even the simple word, Why? doesn't begin to explain the deepness of this question. Over the course of the years, I'm sure many people have pondered and even written books about this question. I know I'm not the first one to think about this. But it's not just the meaning of life I'm talking about here, but the meaning of meaning. Why. I just explained that this word is too simple for the questions it asks, and yet, I'm left with nothing more to say. Why?

I sound like one of those little kids who annoy their parents to no end by constantly asking "Why?" after everything that's said. But that's how I feel. And this is a boundary which I cannot cross. I wish it was only an obstacle, for an obstacle can be overcome. What I feel is that I'm at the edge of the world, if there were such a thing. There's really no where to go because beyond "Why?" there is nothing. No answers that can't again be followed by the simple and yet perpetually agonizing "Why?"
>>What the heck has this thread achieved? What's the point of it?
what was the question again?

agent
09-12-2003, 12:19 AM
I don't particularly feel overly comfortable linking to this old thread I created (largely due to me asking a bit of a silly question - although the intention was serious), but Thomas' post reminded me of this (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=29261).

Winston001
09-12-2003, 02:07 PM
For everyones peace of mind - and in particular agent and Tom - the answer is.......

Biggles
09-12-2003, 03:58 PM
OK, enough now. As I said at the start - there;'sesourse available for major changes right now. What we'd mostly likely add if we get the chance is:

1] Report this post link so you can alert admin to dodgy posts. I'm hopeful of getting something done with this in the immediate future (a loverly vague term)
2] Edit post option so you can change your own posts after posting.

Ohter thna that improved speed and uptie would be on my wish lists.

Unfortunately I cannot see us doing a feature to "prune" unwanted posts from a thread. I can actually delete posts right now - as done with FAQs when they are cleaned up - but when you reply to a post, your post becomes a child of the post you reply to. So what happens with the thread is a whole lot of posts hang off other posts and if you want to delete something near the beginning it will delete a lot of child posts along with the offending one.

Laura
09-12-2003, 04:16 PM
I'm sure none of us want to delete children - no matter who they belong to.
But what's an uptie?

stu140103
09-12-2003, 04:28 PM
> I'm sure none of us want to delete children - no
> matter who they belong to.
> But what's an uptie?

I think Bruce ment "uptime" ;)