PDA

View Full Version : Possible software conflict?

hellsbells
03-12-2003, 01:18 PM
I'm writing this on behalf of a friend (he thinks I can say it better!) and it involves a mis-behaving scan button. My friend bought a digital camera a few months ago and loaded on the accompanying software and has been using it without a problem. However, he recently wanted to use his scanner (which he hadn't since getting the camera) and found that on clicking the scan button the entire screen went huge, as in safe mode, and was no good to use.He's uninstalled the scanner software and then re-installed it but the problem remains. Does anyone know if there is a known conflict between software for a Ben-Q scanner and that for a Canon Powershot camera?

Susan B
03-12-2003, 04:26 PM
Have not heard of anything myself but your friend could try uninstalling both the scanner and camera and software, running a registry cleaner to ensure all scraps are cleared then reinstalling the hardware, beginning with the camera.

It may also pay to ensure the latest graphics drivers are installed.

Graham L
03-12-2003, 06:04 PM
I suppose they are both USB.

The problem is probably that the camera has installed a TWAIN driver, replacing the scanner's one. The camera makes smaller pictures than the scanner, so it magnifies the problem. :D

Try removing the camera's software before loading the scanner stuff again. I don't know if you can fix it ... you might just have to have only one lot of software loaded at one time. (If it comes to that, copy the appropriate bits of the CDs onto your hard disk to make the loading easier).

I don't think it will be the graphics drivers --- they worked before; they work now. It's what being displayed that is the problem. ;-)

antmannz
03-12-2003, 07:16 PM
I find it's just easier to take a shot of whatever you want scanned with the camera using the highest resolution it's got. :)

Elephant
03-12-2003, 07:47 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by a "scan button".

I have a digital camera and also have a scanner.

To get an image into my computer using a scanner I fire up PhotoShop or PaintShopPro and click Import, Select, Twain acquire. This pops up a scan button on the twain interface for the device. Your friend may have a problem in that He/She isn't selecting the device they want to use like camera or scanner. Scanners normally use TWAIN and cameras can use TWAIN as well.

Later cameras act like a spare disk drive where you can simply plug the camera in and copy all Photos and Videos to the hard drive on the computer.

Maybe just plug the camera in and see if there is a disk drive that wasn't there before using Windows Explorer.

I could be on the right track here but I'm not 100% positive.