PDA

View Full Version : M/S News

Thomas
03-12-2003, 09:13 AM
Pirated versions of Microsoft's next generation computer operating system are on sale in Malaysia, more than a year before the official release date.
The software, codenamed Longhorn, is on sale in Johor Baru, a city in southern Malaysian, costing less than $2.

The episode is an embarrassment to Microsoft whose products are favourites with pirates.

mark.p
03-12-2003, 09:51 AM
[Conspiricy Theory]You mean MS didn't release it to stave off opponents? You know there are more testers that way.

yang11
03-12-2003, 10:11 AM
in your personal experience?

mark.p
03-12-2003, 10:38 AM
I'll just wait for an evaluation copy attached to my PC World thanks. By all accounts it's typical alpha software and has been doing the rounds on the internet for a while now. Heard about it funnily enough on an old computer support (486s and below) forum, in general disscusion, a few weeks ago. For reveiws see here-http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_4051.asp

kiwibeat
03-12-2003, 01:10 PM
So what does it offer that's new, other than more bugs and bloated options that are best turned off unless you want to buy the latest 3 GHZ PC with 512 ram big HDD etc to run it

-=JM=-
03-12-2003, 06:51 PM
Remember the final release isn't available yet. Someone is just selling a beta/alpha.

Mike
03-12-2003, 09:00 PM
Longhorn is still in Alpha (or may have just gone Beta, but I haven't heard about it), so it'll be far from the final release, and will probably be more like an updated Windows XP.

Mike.

Thomas
04-12-2003, 01:05 AM
No they spemd a million man hours working on a new program that 90% of the world are prepared to pay for.

Chilling_Silently
04-12-2003, 01:31 AM
Its not that great, really...

I ran it under VMWare (Just for the record, Ive run 8 concurrent OS's on my PC, 7 under VMWare and Redhat 9 as the host), and it really left something to be desired.

Start times were outa this world! We're talking major minutes for boot/shutdown!
I can get my PC up and running from the time I hit enter on my Boot-Loader, to the time my PC is sitting with CPU Usage below 5% with my display ready (Inlcuding login) in a matter of 29 seconds! Why give that up?

Running:
AMD 1700 +
512MB RAM

Its really not my cup of tea :-(

They say that its being designed for the PC's that will be common-place in 2004, ergo the MAX spec'd PC's of today:
3.2Ghz Hyperthreading P4's
Supposedly it'll run on anything Duron 800Mhz upwards.

Its probably too early to say, but dont get your hopes up for another OS like XP... We'll all be using XP or Linux by then anyways ;-)

Chill.
BTW - I have destoyed the CD, so dont bother asking me for a copy...
And another note - You CAN purchase a preview from Microsoft if you're part of some sort of devel team... Cost you an arm and a leg though.

Chilling_Silently
04-12-2003, 01:34 AM
> They say that its being designed for the PC's that
> will be common-place in 2004, ergo the MAX spec'd
> PC's of today:
> 3.2Ghz Hyperthreading P4's

Sorry, should be 2006

And that site that was linked to has REAL screenshots of it... Those are exactly what it looks like!
I took a few myself before formatting my PC and forgetting about VMWare trials and majorly un-cool Operating Systems...

-=JM=-
04-12-2003, 11:13 AM
It's in the early stages of development so won't be all that much of a representation of what the final will end up like. Also running it under VMWare is not going to be the best way to run it in the first place.

Chilling_Silently
04-12-2003, 11:52 AM
And why not? Lemme tell you a story....

I was running Redhat 9 as a base OS
Under VMWare I had something like:
Mandrake 9.0
Redhat 8
Windows 98
Windows 2K
Windows XP

Redhat 9 was downloadng and I was browsing with and stuff
(Now its been a while so I hope I can remember this right):
Mandrake was playing music
Redhat 8 I cant remember for the life of me what it was doing....
Win98 was defragging a HDD which didnt really exist coz it was a Virtual Disk
Win2K was encoding an MP3
WinXP was playing DIvX

...And I cant remember what I had Redhat 8 doing.... But my PC was handling it fine.. Sure CPU Usage was at max, but I max out my CPU about 20-30 times a day (No exaggeration) compiling apps and the likes.

Why can Longhorn not run under VMWare with Slackware 9.1 as a host then?

-=JM=-
04-12-2003, 12:38 PM
VMWare won't it optimised to run it for a start. How much RAM did you have in your system? Surely it was running a tad low with all those going.

Chilling_Silently
04-12-2003, 01:28 PM
512MB
It seemed to be doing fine though.. Playing MP3's.. DivX.. Defragging a HDD which doesnt really exist (:D)

It could hold up fine with 5 OS's, so why cant it do just one "newer" one?

And yes, as I said the CPU was MAXED out... but it still worked... I'd say it was the DivX playing which was killing it coz you _need_ a 500Mhz to play the video I was playing (Not movie.. Music video...).

YMMV obviously.... but still...